HBA card broken?

• I'm using OMV now for many years without any problem, until today... Server didn't boot anymore, so I connected a screen and a keyboard to it - stuck on the motherboard splash screen indicating date and time were not set. I put a new battery in the system but no way to get passed the splash screen, so I started removing hardware and after removing the HBA card I got into the bios to set a new date/time. Mounted HBA in it again but no way to boot the system, stuck at splash screen. Removed HBA again and now system goes every time back into the bios setup screen... so OS doesn't start - bios does see SSD system disk. Any thoughts? I have an identical HBA but I don't know what stores the config, is all in OMV and the HBA only the means to connect the disks? I also have a second identical motherboard but before doing whatsoever I would like to have your advise - many thanks - Koen.

• I'm using OMV now for many years without any problem, until today... Server didn't boot anymore, so I connected a screen and a keyboard to it - stuck on the motherboard splash screen indicating date and time were not set. I put a new battery in the system but no way to get passed the splash screen, so I started removing hardware and after removing the HBA card I got into the bios to set a new date/time. Mounted HBA in it again but no way to boot the system, stuck at splash screen. Removed HBA again and now system goes every time back into the bios setup screen... so OS doesn't start - bios does see SSD system disk. Any thoughts? I have an identical HBA but I don't know what stores the config, is all in OMV and the HBA only the means to connect the disks? I also have a second identical motherboard but before doing whatsoever I would like to have your advise - many thanks - Koen.

How was the drive(s) configured? If it wasn't a raid and was just a single boot drive you shouldn't need to use any HBA unless it is SAS and your motherboard is SATA (A SAS HBA can use a SATA drive, but not the other way around), or if the HBA configured it in standard IDE/SATA but your motherboard controller is set for AHCI or the other way around.

If there was some raid setup, normally the raid configuration is stored on the drives. The HBA reads the config and assembles the RAID, so as long as the HBA is using the same controller chips, it will detect and assemble the RAID.

And yes, all the OS configuration is on the drive, the HBA, aside from any kind of RAID configuration, is just a connection.

• Thank you BernH for your prompt response, config is system on SSD connected directly to MB - HBA with 8 disks in RAID6. OK, so this means I can replace the (maybe) faulty HBA with my spare - will try this next weekend.

Kind regards - Koen.

• Thank you BernH for your prompt response, config is system on SSD connected directly to MB - HBA with 8 disks in RAID6. OK, so this means I can replace the (maybe) faulty HBA with my spare - will try this next weekend.

Kind regards - Koen.

Ok, you were a little unclear on what was connected where with no mention of the 8 drive raid. However, that changes nothing in what i told you. HBA is just a connection point unless there is a hardware raid configured, but the raid config is on the drives and swapping with a spare HBA of the same type should be a 10 minute fix to get it all working again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!