Drive Missing After Restart

• Geaves, Thanks for your help the past couple of weeks. I finally received the last of some drives I ordered to start up this system again. I pulled all the old drives and tested them individually, it seems there was a third failure. So, three out of the four drives SMART said failed. Maybe that's that reason for the odd behavior here.

I did make the dumb mistake of buying them all together which leads me to believe I had a case of them all just dieing/burning down at the same time. At least I was smart enough to have a backup of everything important. My new drives are two different brands of 4tb drives also of better quality(?).

My last final questions are to try and avoid this in the future... obviously. But as I read more I question my Raid 10 choice. Do you think that's my best choice for a file/mediaserver? Or should I try a Raid 6, they seem to be slower and more wear on the drives but allow any 2 to fail. If Raid 10 is the better option, I should make sure the same brands are on separate legs, correct? I'm guessing this can be done through OMV when I set the raid up.

This server was setup years ago with OMV5, should I do a fresh install on the boot drive or doesn't that matter? If so, OMV5 or 6?

Sorry & Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

My last final questions are to try and avoid this in the future... obviously

We would all like that, but a good a strategy backup is the way forward.

I have used software raid (mdadm) zfs, with OMV I started with Raid5 (that's because I was comfortable with that), then I tried mergerfs + snapraid, this is an obvious choice when using media and is used by quite a few on here. But I went back to using zfs.

If you want to Raid then you need to pro active, rather than set and forget, that means having a backup, and a second backup of the stuff you don't want to lose.

SMART is your best friend, you can set up email notifications for SMART changes, this can alert you to any possible problems with the drives.

As to speed you refer too, unless your running a heavy database you're not going to notice whether you're using Raid10, 5 or 6, if you want my opinion and you want to use Raid then use 6.

As to OMV, then V6 as V5 is EOL, no updates and no support, I run OMV on a 16GB usb flash drive, it takes up less than 6GB of space as my docker install is on another drive. I also use the usb backup plugin which backs up the flash drive on Sunday to a share on my server, I then have spare flash drives to write this back up to if necessary. It works, have booted from a backup.

Look at what has happened as a learning curve, we always try to never make the same mistake twice :)

• Just wanted to come back and say thanks for your advice.

I went ahead and did the Raid 6 along with the setup you mentioned, OMV V6 on USB Flash Driver and Docker on an SSD. A week in it's so far so good and a fun learning experience doing it.

I haven't gotten to the SMART backup e-mail but I'm planning on that.

I did have a back up of anything important so happy nothing was lost. What's interesting is that the back up drive had been disconnected and when I plugged it in, Windows said it had errors also but was able to repair it. It really goes to show me that the backup and secondary backup are important. Luckily I also had a secondary back up although old it would have worked if needed.

I'm going to follow up with some automated backups for more comfort along with the OMV and Docker backup.

Appreciate the help and it has been a good learning experience.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Appreciate the help and it has been a good learning experience

You're welcome, some other things I do is to document certain procedures, like any cli stuff, I also keep a spreadsheet of the drives, where they are in the server, make, serial number etc. Perhaps OCD but at least I know what drive I'm pulling when one needs replacing.

Good luck :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!