GPT PMBR size mismatch on data drive

• Hello all,

A short while ago, my system disk failed and I fixed it in the end by cloning it using dd.

This evening, I saw the same symptoms (disk write-protected) so I cloned the disk again. There were still problems booting so I ran fdisk and agreed to all the fixes. Now when I boot up, I get an error, and on running fsck, I get this - please see the entry in red. This is one of my data disks.

Can anyone help me with this, please?

Thanks,

Nick.

EDIT: Also, forgot to say that when I try to log into the web GUI, I get a "502 - Bad Gateway" banner (in red) at the bottom of the page.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 () aus folgendem Grund: Add the bit about the 502

• Nick0

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

A short while ago, my system disk failed and I fixed it in the end by cloning it using dd.

Did it occur to you that you might have cloned some corrupt files?

Update: For some reason, it has fixed itself overnight. Odd.

Did it (fix itself)? Going forward, I wouldn't be surprised if odd things happen from time to time.

If it was me, I'd rebuild. With a known good install; I'd clone my boot drive when it's working properly, before there's a boot drive failure. You'd have known good backup.

• Did it occur to you that you might have cloned some corrupt files?

Did it (fix itself)? Going forward, I wouldn't be surprised if odd things happen from time to time.

If it was me, I'd rebuild. With a known good install; I'd clone my boot drive when it's working properly, before there's a boot drive failure. You'd have known good backup.

Yes, I think this may have happened (corrupt files), but on the second clone only, as I had some errors on first boot (the ones that I ran fdisk on. The first time I cloned it, this didn't happen and I still have that disk, so i will clone it again. I think the first failed disk was just a write-protect problem, but the second had other issues, it would seem.

The odd things you mentioned seem to be happening as I'm getting regular emails reporting this:

"/etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-pending_config_changes:

Segmentation fault"

I'll try cloning what I believe to be the good disk and report back. I'm only doing this as I don't know how to rebuild things as you suggested.

Thanks for your help,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 () aus folgendem Grund: For clarity

• Another update.

Well, the clone seems good this time. I got a list of entries regarding orphaned files of which I vowed to remember the exact message but, as usual, a short time later I have forgotten. My bad.

After those, it booted straight into OMV. I now also have access to the web GUI again without the 502 message and I am performing an update now. I'll see how it goes for a week and if all is well I will clone the system disk to avoid this happening again. I'll resolve this thread then, too.

Just for other people's information, I think that the past two disk issues (with write-protect errors) are due to me buying cheap (SanDisk branded) USB drives off of the 'Bay. I'm not doing this again. Also, I originally was not using the flash memory plugin.

Thanks, crashtest for your help,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 () aus folgendem Grund: Correction to plugin name

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the first failed disk was just a write-protect problem

When flash media wears out, it goes "read only". This gives the appearance to the OS of "write-protected". Until the flash devices controller detects the problem and sets the entire device to "read only", some individual storage locations (usually 4k in size) refuse to write. This means that file updates did not write or may have been "partially" written creating the potential for system files to be corrupted and / or out of sync.

What may have been written, may not have been fully written, etc., can only be a matter of speculation but if it's kernel or system file related, I wouldn't trust EXT4's journaling feature to completely clean it up.

Your call.

• When flash media wears out, it goes "read only". This give the appearance to the OS of "write-protected". Until the flash devices controller detects the problem and sets the entire device to "read only", some individual storage locations (usually 4k in size) refuse to write. This means that file updates did not write or may have been "partially" written creating the potential for system files to be corrupted and / or out of sync.

What may have been written, may not have been fully written, etc., can only be a matter of speculation but if it's kernel or system file related, I wouldn't trust EXT4's journaling feature to completely clean it up.

Your call.

OK, thank you for explaining this.

How would I go about rebuilding like you said earlier?

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Ah, yes - I know how to install it to USB but what changes do I need to make so that it hooks up to my data drives and everything works?

I have data, Piwigo and Nextcloud on my data drives, together with all my docker stuff.

Sorry if this is vague but happy to detail anything else you may need.

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since Docker storage is on your boot drive by default (/var/lib/docker), if you rebuild:

Docker and Portainter would need to be reinstalled (assumes you're using Portainer). All Dockers would need to be downloaded and containers would have to be recreated.

If you relocated Dockers to your data drive(s):
    After reinstalling Docker, you'd need to specify the path to Docker storage. Your Docker images and containers should be recognized by Portainer, when it's installed.

When setting up data drives, they don't need to be wiped or formatted. In File Systems, simply mount your existing drive(s).

(When recreating each of your shared folders:)

Under Shared Folders, Create;
    Name the shared folder as it used to be.
    Under Filesystem, select the appropriate disk with the existing data.
    The third field is "Relative Path". On the far right side of that field is a "path" icon. Click it and browse to the appropriate folder with existing data. Select the folder.
    Under Permissions, select the permissions that used to exist.

Is rebuilding an easy process? Depending on the complexity of your build, it may not be. This is why ->Backup is highly encouraged. Further, OS backup is very easy to do when using flash drives. (-> Cloning flash media.)

• OK, many thanks and that all seems to make sense to me.

I'll try a rebuild as soon as I get the time and I'll post back here if when I get stuck, or (if by some other-worldly miracle); I manage to do it all by myself. I'll probably continue to dd my clones but not before checking out the link you sent me - that could be easier!

Thank you again,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the rebuild (if you haven't done so already) you might want to consider relocating Dockers to a data drive.

Copy the absolute path to a data drive, into Docker as shown below:
    (This is an example where I created a "Dockers" folder on a data drive.)

Setting a drive path is an exacting process (because of the length of a UUID) but it can be copied from a PuTTY SSH window or from the address line in WinSCP.

The reason I'm suggesting the above is:
    Dockers are a very cut down but fully operational Linux OS. As they run, they may write to their own log files, create temp files, etc. If a Docker container is a server of some kind (like piwigo) file meta data may be involved. Web interfaces generate data as well. Depending on the Docker type, they may accumulate significant data over time. If Docker containers are housed on a data drive, all of the constant and "chatty" data writes are sent to a spinning drive. That keeps your OS boot drive clean and, more importantly, there's less wear and tear on your flash drive.

• Hi,

Thank you for this - I haven't got around to doing anything yet but all my Dockers are already on the data drives.

All the best,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!