Advice on new build SuperMicro A1SAM-2550F

• Hello,

I'm new on OMV and this last 4 weeks was making some testing with OMV 0.5.48 on a EXSi server but now its time to get into the "Real Life" and I need to build an hardware server with OMV mainly for backups.

The following hardware parts I've already own and would like some suggestions if it is capable/compatible to run OMV.

Motherboard: SuperMicro A1SAM-2550F
    Processor: Intel® Atom™ Processor C2550
    Memory: Kingston KVR16E11/8 ECC (x2) = 16 Gb
    Controller: Dell PERC H200 (Flashed to IT mode 6 Gb/s SAS HBA)
    Hard Drives: 6 x WD Green 1TB
    Boot OS: SATADOM Innodisk 4 Gb

This SuperMicro board has C2000 SoC I354 Quad GbE network controller and I'm not sure if OMV has drivers to get the ethernet lan up and running and if the Dell controller with be recognized for use with LVM, so please give me your feedback about this build.

Thanks.

• Hi crisman,

This is a nice kind of stuff you got there.

My first impression of your build is: are you using ESXi on this hardware? Because Atom C2550 aren't VT-d capable for passthrough disks to a VM and get decent performance.
    Secondo, I am not sure but the Ethernet controller is supported by Debian Squeeze (OMV 5.x). You should maybe compile the drivers yourself, but take care, I am not totally sure since they are based on the C2000.

I got a C2750 board and the NIC controller aren't working on Squeeze. You can compile the drivers by yourself but since I'm not a really good linux user, I've prefered to wait for Kralizec (OMV 0.6) release and I'm now testing my new NAS on a fresh Debian Wheezy and all is working perfectly fine :).

As far as I know, the PERC H200 is a really common card and you should not have any problem with Squeeze or Wheezy.

I am just curious, what is the case you chose ton build your NAS? :)

• Hi benitude,

Thanks for your first impressions, I thought that no one was capable of give me some comments about my build.

Well, I will mainly use my server hardware for OMV not for ESXi.

Your C2750 board its a SuperMicro or an ASRock? I think the ethernet controllers aren't the same but not sure.

On this build I will use Fractal Design Node 804 Cube case, but I have another NAS server running FreeNas that I'm using the Lian Li PC-Q25 case, I'm very satisfied with the build quality of this one. In a few weeks I will setup another different hardware build for a client and will use a U-NAS NSC-800 server case, I've read some good reviews about it and should give it a try.

Regards.

• I got a C2750D4I from ASRock and the ethernet controllers are Intel I210.

I got the NSC-800 :D. Now I am still testing my harware and I must have a totally free day to get my last nas down, mount all the disks etc... When I'm done, I will post my adventures on "My NAS Build" ^^

• Zitat von "benitude"

I got a C2750D4I from ASRock and the ethernet controllers are Intel I210.

I got the NSC-800 :D. Now I am still testing my harware and I must have a totally free day to get my last nas down, mount all the disks etc... When I'm done, I will post my adventures on "My NAS Build" ^^

My NSC-800 has just arrived, I'll start my build this weekend, what PSU unit are you using on this case?
    Are you using any raid controller card or using integrated on-board sata?

• I use a IBM 1015 SATA/SAS Controller flashed in IT mode. First I was planning to use the onboard SATA, but when you have 8 sata cables in this case, it's not really good the for airflow.
    I bought the FSP350-701UJ PSU http://www.fspgroupusa.com/eco…-psu/1u/fsp350-701uj.html
    And for the noise I put 2 noctua NF-A4x10 to replace the originals crapy PSU's fans. http://www.noctua.at/main.php?…iew&products_id=47&lng=en

And you can trust me, if you're an amateur of low noise this PSU with these fans is a really, really quiet system. To give you an impression, I got two Noiseblocker E-Loop at 700RPM for the case and during my tests, the most noisy source were my HDD (WD Black and Samsung F1).

• I'll use the ServeRaid M1015 also.
    I've ordered the Seasonic ss-350m1, was the one that I found available here in my country, I'm not sure if this PSU has low noise but I'll test it during next week, regarding the Noctua Fans, are my favorite, I've been using them for a long time on my builds, they are not cheap but really worth all money, for example I will use the Noctua NF-S12A PWM on the NSc-800 case replacing the original ones.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?…iew&products_id=57&lng=en

• About the M1015, I use it with IT mode, no physical RAID for me :)

I read a lot a about the NSC-800 case on several forums and I always saw this PSU. Maybe it's quiet enough .. but not for me ^^. And the most important problem with it .. it's a mini 1U PSU that means you'll need a bracket adapter to mount it correctly on the NSC-800 case.

About Noctua, I'm a big fan too I hesitated on buying once again Noctua fans for the case but finally, I got the noiseblocker (first time with this brand and I'm impressed how good they are).

• Zitat von "benitude"

About Noctua, I'm a big fan too I hesitated on buying once again Noctua fans for the case but finally, I got the noiseblocker (first time with this brand and I'm impressed how good they are).

Hi benitude,

Could you tell me what model of the Noiseblocker fans did you used on your build, I would like to give them a try?

Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!