Booting Orange Pi 5+ on SSD?

• I know this is a bit off topic for the forum, but I hope that somebody here may know this topic.

I would like to set up OMV on an Orange Pi 5+ with a JMicron JMB585 PCIe controller with 5 sata ports and so far one connected SSD. I think this would make a spectacular OMV server in regards to performance and power consumption.

The OPI 5+ boots Debian fine and the connected SSD works fine and I can write to the SSD.

I just can't get the OPI 5+ to boot from the SSD.

I used the Debian image specifically for the OPI 5+.

I have:

*Cleared the SPI flash and written it with nand-sata-install.

*Flashed the SD-card and the SSD from the same image and they have the same UUID's. (Idea is to remove the SD-card and fool the system to boot on the SSD with the same UUID).

*Written sata bootloader to SPI with sudo dd if=/usr/share/orangepi5/rkspi_loader_sata.img of=/dev/mtdblock0 && sudo sync

*Inserted overlays=ssd-sata on both SD-card and SSD

I have tried to follow both these recommendations:

Orange Pi 5 – Simple Overview and Installation with M.2 SSD | Crosstalk Solutions

Aus der Community OrangePI auf Reddit
    Entdecke diesen Beitrag und mehr aus der Community OrangePI
    www.reddit.com

I've searched this forum, the OrangePi forum and the Reddit forum for solutions, I didn't find anything new, but only found some that can get it to work and others that can't, it's still not clear to me what makes the difference. I know there is a difference between having an NVME and an M.2 SSD. The NVME is supported directly by the nand-sata-install, not the M.2 SSD.

Whenever I start the OPI 5+ with only the SSD and no SD-card, it doesn't boot, no blinking from the LED.

Any suggestions?

• Not sure if it is still an option so, you have to check / try - I used to have such a / similar problem with RockPi4 (SD card + USB-SATA + NVMe + eMMC). Finally I've installed Armbian (on SD card) which got (that time) the tool to copy installation to selected drive and make it bootable. And even more - there was OMV to be installed from "software" menu of Armbian :) It was really easy and worked for some years very nice!

• Not sure if it is still an option so, you have to check / try - I used to have such a / similar problem with RockPi4 (SD card + USB-SATA + NVMe + eMMC). Finally I've installed Armbian (on SD card) which got (that time) the tool to copy installation to selected drive and make it bootable. And even more - there was OMV to be installed from "software" menu of Armbian :) It was really easy and worked for some years very nice!

Ok, tried Armbian. It seems that Armbian doesn't distinguish between Orange Pi 5 and Orange Pi 5+, which are different as 5+ has PCIe 3 M.2 slot.

I can't make the M.2 slot work with a version of Debian compiled for Orange Pi 5, only the one compiled for Orange Pi 5+. Seems to be the same with Armbian, I can't list the PCI devices.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I built my own armbian image from their build scripts since I wanted a bullseye image and they don't offer one. The system has a working nvme stick too.

root@opi5:~# lspci

0000:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)

0000:01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp Device 5017 (rev 01)

0003:30:00.0 PCI bridge: Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)

0003:31:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)

0004:40:00.0 PCI bridge: Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)

0004:41:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Armbian have a page for Orange Pi 5 / 5B / 5 Plus, but I believe that this might be the issue, that they don't differentiate, because it is to some degree different hardware.

When I run lspci in Armbian Bullseye, I get nothing. Same as with Debian for Orange Pi 5. I need to run Debian for Orange Pi5+, to make the PCI part work.

I don't have experience with building my own OS image, where would be a good place to start?

• Offizieller Beitrag

where would be a good place to start?

You will need an amd64 system running Ubuntu 22.04. Then follow this guide - https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!