Rebooting OMV6 via CLI after omv-upgrade freezes computer (LAN dead / HDMI not responding when plugged)

• Hello everyone, I am facing a rather curious issue. I have an Intel NUC model NUC6CAYH that runs OMV6 (latest 6.9.6-1 Shaitan) with 2x4GB RAM, booting from a Samsung Fit Plus 64GB USB, while data is stored internally on a SATA Samsung QVO 4TB drive ; later added an external enclosure (via USB 3.0) port with another SATA Samsung QVO 2TB.

Few months ago, I had done on-device upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6 that went well.

In recent weeks, when I update via omv-upgrade (remotely, almost every time) I reboot the server; I have set fsck to check at each boot (i.e. tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sda1 etc. )

I use the simple reboot command, and not something like sudo systemctl reboot so not sure if it is not the ideal command; in the past, after a minute or two, I could regain SSH access despite using reboot (so not sure it is the wrong way to reboot Debian).

Recently, I see that the NUC or OMV freezes after sending the reboot command, especially after OMV "upgrade" via SSH. I am not sure if it's in the shutdown procedure, and I cannot find a cause so that I can ask here for advice on how to fix it. Last night, I performed BIOS update to the latest available, cleared all settings (F9 defaults) set Legacy Boot back and it booted without issues. I think I only disabled the WiFi and BTLE embedded controllers.

Few months back, I had performed an all-night-long test via MemTest86 for the RAM modules, and the test checked clear/good.

Somewhere around that time that it started to happen:

• I had added this external USB 3 external SATA enclosure with the added drive but it doesn't seem that this may be the cause of trouble;
    • I had added WireGuard plugin (OMV6)
    • I manually removed OpenVPN that I accidentally found had remained after the update from 5.x to 6.x

(at some other moment, I had realised that OpenVPN was not removed, following the upgrade from OMV5 to OMV6 and the computer was hanging due to this service, so I removed it manually via apt remove openmediavault-openvpn as it caused some "soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck"...)

What should I post here, for a first piece of advice? Would /var/log/syslog be a good start?

I know that hard-core users may say "re-install from scratch" and I guess I could do that, but installing the OMV system from one USB (boot) to another (destination boot) was not easy.

Anyway I look forward to your comments, I will post the /var/log/syslog around the moment I force the computer to power off (via Power button) when it happens.

For now, please see attached syslog_01_11_2023.txt and the time of the forced power-off and restart is at lines Nov 1 10:29:37am and Nov 1 17:00:21pm which prompted me to remove lm-sensors from the system, today... (most likely from OMV5 too).

OMV Version: 6.9.6-1 (Shaitan)

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64

• Konsti

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Rebooting OMV6 after cmv-upgrade on Intel NUC freezes computer (LAN dead / HDMI not responding when plugged)“ zu „Rebooting OMV6 via CLI after omv-upgrade freezes computer (LAN dead / HDMI not responding when plugged)“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!