Just a noob mounting question

• I noticed that OMV mounts my usb drives under /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxx-xxx

Just wondering, why not let's say the /mnt or /media folders?

I also see my drive referenced under /dev/disk/ (by-id, or by-label etc)

Not a problem, just curious as to why there are multiple ways of referncing the drive, and which one should i be using when giving a path to an application that wants to store data on the drive (ie. to give a path to plex to access my media on an external drive)

Would like to learn more if someone can share a beginner-friendly article.

Thanks!

Minisforum TH50 - CPU: i5-11320H | RAM: 16GB | SSD: 512GB | ETH: 2.5GBE

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just wondering, why not let's say the /mnt or /media folders?

It is a preference. /mnt and /media are just a preference as well. Create a symlink from /srv/path-to-dsk to /mnt/whatever if you want it there. The symlinks plugin even tracks them for you.

I also see my drive referenced under /dev/disk/ (by-id, or by-label etc)

That is the linux device hence why it is in /dev. You can't access files directly from that path. It needs to mounted.

Not a problem, just curious as to why there are multiple ways of referncing the drive

Read more about Linux. It is very different from Windows.

which one should i be using when giving a path to an application that wants to store data on the drive

create a shared folder on the filesystem in the Sharedfolders tab. Then you can expose the absolute path column and that is what you give the app.

Would like to learn more if someone can share a beginner-friendly article.

Start here - https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv6:new_user_guide

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!