Cant Access SMB Shares from W10 after Clearing ACLs

• As byline shows I am new to OMV.I had some aspects of SMB sharing working from W10, but only if my SMB OMV share was set to "Guests Allowed". I really dont want that, but want usr/password required to access share from both W10 & Linux. I used the ResetPermissions plugin to remove ACLs. From Linux (Mint 17.3) everything works as I am asked for credentials and given access.

From W10 I now only see the server name under windows networking. Windows Security asks for credentials (same as used on Linux) and denies access. This vwesion of W10 says it has SMB2 enabled. This has to be some stupid W10 security think I just cant remember how to set up correctly.

On OMV SMB Settings I have HomeDirectories/Browsable checked & AdvancedSettings/SMB2,Enable NetBIOS, Enable WINS server checked,

On a side note, who is suppose to be the OMV owner of the mounted filesystem structure? And why would that be "root"?

Any help is appreciated.

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/34271/

This problem would seem to be W10 specific, as a W11 notebook just directly opens the share without asking for credentials. (Albeit a slight delay while W11 likely negotiates with OMV over the W11 login credentials.)

On further investigation, another W10 laptop accesses the OMV shares with no credential requests, so the problem is specific to something in the configuration of THIS specific W10 desktop machine. It is likely right in me face but I cant see it!

Ok, Windows sucks I know. After a reboot this W10 desktop machine is accessing OMV without asking for credentials. I wish I knew why or what that changed.

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von kjo99 () aus folgendem Grund: Further information/Resolved

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • kjo99

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Zitat
    Krisbee

Have you changed the OMV share config from "guest allowed" to "no" for public share choice? Do that and Windows should always ask for credentials when you try to access the share.

I have 2 shares, one with and without "Guest Allowed". They both access from W10/11 without credential request. The user/password on W10/11/OMV is identical. I take this to mean that W10/11 SMB is handling the credentials automatically?

I dont really understand what OMV means by enabling "guest allowed". How are share access permissions changed from basic Linux u.g.o server permissions? From the OMV help Semi-Public share :

Zitat

Semi-public: When login is not provided, the guest user is used. This is the “guest allowed” option from the Samba share option

Code
    guest ok = yes
    read list = User1, @Group1
    write list = User2, @Group2

Notice here if users are not set up permissions (that means blank tick boxes) anyone will be able to login anyway and have write access.

I dont think I understand the last sentence.

While on this subject, who is suppose to own the top directory of the server share filesystem? For my system new top level shares are created root,users,other with SGID enabled. I suppose "root" because OMV "admin" created it. SGID so that subsequent files & directories are owned by their respective valid server users. Am I close on this understanding?

• While on this subject, who is suppose to own the top directory of the server share filesystem? For my system new top level shares are created root,users,other with SGID enabled. I suppose "root" because OMV "admin" created it. SGID so that subsequent files & directories are owned by their respective valid server users. Am I close on this understanding?

Yes. But the point of SGID is that group is inherited from the parent directory not from the user creating the file or folder.

This might help explain the "guest allowed " stuff: Samba Share Types in OMV

If you've used mapped rives in Windows, you might have to clear out old credentials from the "windows credentials manager" when making changes to OMV SMB share configs. I'm offline now ...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!