Power went out, now freezes at “loading ramdisk”

• I don’t know what to tell you, topic says it all. I have 3 kernels and 3 kernel “recovery mode” and all “6” selections all freeze. I simply don’t have time to troubleshoot. Will reinstalling ruin the 5 disk OMV RAID that was on there? It’s separate from the install NVMe?

• Sounds like the power bump messed up something. Did you ever set up os backups like we talked about, use the backup app, or Chente's omv regen?

If you did backups, restoring to the os drive should work fine and have you completely back up and running withing 30 minutes. If not, a recent OMV regen can recreate all settings on a clean install.

If you have to re-install without those options, just unplug the raid drives, do the install t, then plug the drives back in and mount the raid. (don't use the create filesystem option, just the mount filesystem option) All data should be in place and simply re-installing the plugins and recreating the settings should get everything going.

You may need to re-enter your docker compose files, but hopefully you have copies of those as backups, so simply taking them down, creating the compose files in the compose plugin or protainer stacks from the backups and then bringing them up will use all the existing data and give you back control as long as the docker storage path is correct.

• Hey there, naw this was one of my systems that I did not back up as it was not terribly important, until now it is not working. I hate my fng life. I just hate it. This is so depressing.

• Nothing to do grub side or boot side? simplify the boot options code?

It could be. You can try re-installing grub, it should only take a few minutes to do, but I can't say I'd be a lot of help troubleshooting further since you can't boot and since I keep rotating backups and regular omv regen saves, if I ran into something like that I would just restore instead of wasting hours and hours trying to figure it out.

• Alright so, all my "important data" is still there as they resided on raid drive not affected..

I am curious... 192.168.4.177 has my tv shows. 192.168.2.181 is my plex and inks to tv shows via remotemount.

This is what I did;

On 192.167.4.177 I created a NFS share of the /Server directory [has /TV under it]

On 192.168.2.181 I mounted via remote mount /srv/remotemount/Server and I see all...

Plex keeps saying play back error make sure mounted.

On the .181 [plex server side] do I need to also create a share even after I remote mount?

• Shouldn't have to create a share on 181. If you can mount the shared from 177 on 181 and see them you should be fine once the directory you are mounted into is mapped to plex.

I don't use plex so not sure of the issues with it, but it's possible it either doesn't like to use nfs or you may need to specify some extra options on the share to get it working right.

When I am mounting nfs from server to server, I usually use something along the lines of this (I'm usually not too worried about high security between my own systems):

anongid=100, anonuid=1000, insecure, no_root_squash, nohide, rw, subtree_check, sync

• fbeye

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Alright so something isn’t right. This server just shut off by itself today… no outage, it just shut off. Happened yesterday too thought was just a weird thing. So now I’m not sure do I have faulty something? Is there a way to see what shut it off last time? To determine if it was a soft shut off or loss of something, anything?

It has never done this until 2 days ago. I guess run memory tests too? Can’t imagine bad HD shutting it down. So memory or power supply?

• Check syslog. as for hardware, anything including hard drives can cause a shutdown and/or failure to boot. I have seen drives with a failed component on the electronics board that caused a shutdown and then would not boot because there was a short circuit causing the power supply to go into protection mode. I have also seen systems do random shutdowns and reboots because there was dust caked onto the RAM after being blown through the CPU cooler, cpu coolers being blocked with dust and dust-bunnies causing thermal shutdown, bad RAM, RAM or cards not being seated correctly in their slots, capacitors starting to fail on the motherboard, power supplies failing, bad or loose cables (both power and data), etc.

Basically I have seen all manner of things causing random shutdowns and restarts. Everything is a suspect.

I would start with a visual inspection, cleaning/dust blowing, checking ram cards and cables to ensure they are seated correctly. I would even reseat them. This is because when 2 pieces of metal are touching and passing electricity between them, the is a chemical reaction that can happen and cause a little film to form, particularly if the metals are not identical and have different metals or even different impurities. This film doesn't cause issues with higher voltages but some data voltages are low and can be impeded.

Then I would do a RAM test once you know everything is seated correctly. You could also use a power supply tester to check the power supply.

If doing all of that result in a stable system great, if not, then it's time to remove all but the necessary components, (motherboard, ram, cpu) and something to boot from, and piece by piece add components back and test until you reach a problem again, then you have found the defective part.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!