Getting frequently disconnected after a short period of time

• OMV Version: 6.9.14-1

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64

CPU: Intel i7-4790K 4GHz

32GB RAM

~7GB-8 RAM in use maximum at any time.

1 SSD that's 1TB in size with only 5% in use.

[I repurpose my old PCs for OMV, I know the above is overkill but better to reuse what I have]

I'm not sure when this started, it's been happening for at least a month or maybe longer now. When I connect to OMV using PuTTY on Windows 11 23H2, after a minute (just timed it, it seems rather consistent), the terminal will stop responding and PuTTY will say "Network error: Software caused connection abort". I tried enabling logging in PuTTY but I don't see any errors in the log.

What's odd is that when this happens, I still have no issues connecting to the web GUI (again, all is being done on the same local subnet), nor any of my docker containers, nor does the web GUI respond slowly (or the docker containers). So I definitely can connect to the device. I have a monitor attached to it for debugging purposes in the event I can't log in via a browser, and haven't seen any errors appear on the screen there either.

I realize trying to troubleshoot with such little info is impossible. Obviously, there could be configuration issues not at all related to OMV (such as switches or other installed plugins).

So before doing a deep dive and asking for a magic solution, what would be the best way to start troubleshooting this issue on my end before reporting back? I'm not sure which log(s) to look at (if any). I basically need to just be pointed in the right direction for where to start looking before I waste a bunch of people's time with things I could be trying on my end first. In case it matters, I have the following plugins installed:

• compose
    • diskstats
    • kernel
    • locate
    • omvextrasorg
    • remotemount
    • sharerootfs
    • symlinks

Much appreciated.

• I think I may have found the problem, and, as expected, it had nothing to do with OMV. For the past 20m both PuTTY and ssh via CMD have been able to maintain a stable connection running "top". Previously, as I mentioned, I could only maintain a connection for up to about a minute before being disconnected.

I'm pretty sure the culprit was Emby: I went through the logs on everything I had installed that I at least knew where the log files were located at. When I viewed Emby's logs, I noticed quite a lot of errors trying to make a lot of connections with a couple of its plug-ins. So one-by-one, I uninstalled each plugin, restarted, kept trying, and narrowed it down to 2 that were just chucking out errors pretty often. After removing all said plug-ins and restarting the Emby service, I'm now convinced that was the issue, given how long I've been able to (and still am!) maintain a connection.

Soma, thanks for the suggestion to try via CMD, I don't know why that thought never occurred to me. Should this happen in the future, besides checking obviously Emby, I'll try a test via that way.

Once again, OMV, as expected, had nothing to do with the problem. Edit: made a donation to OMV via your signature link to say thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!