NFS fails to start due to missing dependency 'softdog'

• Dear community,

after a couple of updates and one reboot of OMV the NFS doesn't start anymore. Trying to enable stops with error message as attached (not included in this post because of error message The message is too long, must be under 10,000 characters.). Please let me know if I need to do something to have it included here directly instead of attachement.

I was able to break it down, in the terminal:

Code
    $ sudo systemctl status nfs-server
    ○ nfs-server.service - NFS server and services
         Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; disabled; preset: enabled)
        Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/nfs-server.service.d
                 └─order-with-mounts.conf
         Active: inactive (dead)

Trying to start:

Code
    $ sudo systemctl start nfs-server
    A dependency job for nfs-server.service failed. See 'journalctl -xe' for details.

Searching for the problem:

Code
    $ journalctl -xe
    (...)
    raspberrypi systemd-modules-load[325]: Failed to find module 'softdog'
    (...)

At this point I am running out of ideas hot wo fix,

My system is Raspberry Pi 5 with latest OMV. I first installed it end of last year acc. the official way, that time v7 was still beta. I tried already various combinations of enabling, rebooting and disabling of nfs in the gui - a solution which I found in the forum for older OMV versions - but w/o success.

Looking forward receiving your help. Please keep in mind my linux knowledge is low, so please write in detail what step I need to take. Thank you.

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I had a similar (same?) issue on upgrading from OMV6 => OMV7. Seems to have been fixed by:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nfs-kernel-server

Thinks it's a Debian change to how the nfs server package is installed on Debian 11 vs. Debian 12.

Version: 7.0.3-1 (Sandworm)

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

• I had a similar (same?) issue on upgrading from OMV6 => OMV7. Seems to have been fixed by:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure nfs-kernel-server

Thinks it's a Debian change to how the nfs server package is installed on Debian 11 vs. Debian 12.

Just before I read your post, I installed watchdog (and rebooted and checked with systemctl that it is running) - but this didn't solve my problem.
    Now tried your solution and this is the output:

Searching the problem shows same as initially:

Code
    $ journalctl -xe
    (...)
    systemd-modules-load[334]: Failed to find module 'softdog'
    (...)

Version
    7.0.3-1 (Sandworm)

Processor
    Raspberry Pi 5 Model B Rev 1.0

Kernel
    Linux 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-2712

• Sorry, you have a different root cause to me, and I don't use watchdog, so I had to use Google.

If you've installed watchdog, what output do you get from:

lsmod | grep dog

Version: 7.0.3-1 (Sandworm)

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1265L V2 @ 2.50GHz

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64

• Sorry, you have a different root cause to me, and I don't use watchdog, so I had to use Google.

If you've installed watchdog, what output do you get from:

lsmod | grep dog

I can delete watchdog, if helpful / required. It was only my guess because of the softdog.
    I entered your code in the terminal but no outcome at all from the terminal. So.... what does that mean? No watchdog available in the kernel?

Version
    7.0.3-1 (Sandworm)

Processor

Kernel

• Looks like. What hardware and distro are you using? is it a SBC?

You can simply disable watchdog via systemctl disable --now watchdog.

I have Raspberry Pi 5.

OK, will disbale watchdog. Then, back to post 1: what to do? :)

Version
    7.0.3-1 (Sandworm)

Processor

Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think you shoudl raise the issue in the Raspi forum because OMV is using their OS but does not maintain it. If there is a problem, only the Raspi project can fix it. To me it looks like their kernel is missing some modules.

You need to disable watchdog the OMV way, so the softdog module will not be configured. Set the OMV_WATCHDOG_ENABLED env var to false according to the docs. Instead of deploying everything as mentioned in the docs simply run

Bash
    omv-salt stage run prepare
    omv-salt deploy run watchdog
  • u need to disable watchdog the OMV way, so the softdog module will not be configured. Set the OMV_WATCHDOG_ENABLED env var to false according to the docs. Instead of deploying everything as mentioned in the docs simply run
    Bash omv-salt stage run prepare omv-salt deploy run watchdog

Did that but not sure what for. Is my understanding correct that this exercise was to disable watchdog? And if so, wouldn't it be easier to just have it deleted?

The reason for installing watchdog was I thought this will bring the missing dependency. Initially there was no watchdog installed.
    Of course I also read the first part of your post where you recommend me to ask in the raspberry forum and I fully understand that if the problem comes from the RPI that OMV cannot fix it. But I'm a bit worried going to the RPI forum might not solve my problem and therefore I'd like first to trying to fix it by trying to get this "smartdog" active.
    Here
    Watchdog restarting server.

you wrote "This is a useful feature for headless servers. But it is not a service that is really required to run the NAS." Is this still valid for V7 and RPI? If so, I do not really understand the benefit of disabling watchdog.
    Please excuse if I misunderstand something, my knowledge is a bit low, but I'm trying to understand what is going on.

Version
    7.0.3-1 (Sandworm)

Processor

Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

The watchdog package was a hard dependency long time ago. I'm sorry i do not remember everything what i've done in the last 15 years, but it seems that it is a soft dependency now. Nevertheless, with the commands mentioned above you can configure OMV so that the watchdog config is purged.

But the core problem persists, the Raspi kernel does not ship the required modules to get the watchdog working.

you wrote "This is a useful feature for headless servers. But it is not a service that is really required to run the NAS." Is this still valid for V7 and RPI? If so, I do not really understand the benefit of disabling watchdog.
    Please excuse if I misunderstand something, my knowledge is a bit low, but I'm trying to understand what is going on.

Using a watchdog makes absolute sense on a headless NAS, but it seems Raspi OS does not contain the necessary kernel modules. So it is better to disable the OMV feature.

Maybe it makes sense to raise a ticket for the Raspi OS that the project is aware of the problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!