Issue with Folder Renaming on macOS Client Compared to Other NAS OS

• I'm experiencing an inconsistent behavior when renaming folders on an OMV server, particularly when comparing the behavior across different client operating systems.

Server Setup:

OMV Version: 7.0.4-1

Filesystem: BTRFS

Clients:

macOS Sonoma

Windows 11

Issue:

When attempting to rename a folder on the macOS client while a file within that folder is open, the server prevents the renaming action. This restriction might seem logical at first glance, but interestingly, the Windows client does not exhibit the same limitation. It allows for the folder's name to be changed even while a file inside it is open.

Moreover, this issue does not occur in other NAS operating systems like TrueNAS and Synology. Those systems permit folder renaming under the same conditions on the macOS system.

Need for Resolution:

This behavior disrupts my workflow significantly. I suspect it's related to the Samba configuration, as I've attempted various modifications to the smb.conf file without success.

Could anyone provide insights or suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Any guidance or hints regarding the Samba settings or smb.conf file adjustments would be greatly appreciated.

• votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

This sounds strange because all systems are based on Samba. At the end you have to compare the smb.conf of all systems to find out what the reason for this different behaviour is.

• I can confirm that macOS is behaving differently compared to other system when using smb-shares.

But I'm not an expert on samba or programmer. I just set the "good-practice-for-macOS-users" parameters in the omv-gui and thats working for me. You could have a look here.

I learned from a macOS/samba-Expert (owner of the website I linked) that the main issues are caused by an old Version of samba Apple is using plus the very special acl-implementation within macOS.

On the other hand: samba was and still is developed for windows-users mainly, so nobody really cares about obstacles on macOS side.

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• I followed the instructions from the link Teschbert provided, but that didn’t work out.

I finally resolved the issue by turning on the Time Machine feature on OMV.

It’s strange because I thought the procedure from the link and simply turning on Time Machine would be similar.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for paying attention to my issue.

• gadgetlip

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!