Debian Wheezy installation EXTREMELY SLOW (on Intel Atom Z530)

• Hi guys!

I created a backup of my OMV 0.5.x Debian Squeeze image and tried to update to Debian Wheezy (due to some missing bluetooth feature). The update was done without nearly any problem. What I noticed is, that the system seems to be slower than before (i.e. in apt-get and omv login). But I thought, that this is a result of updating (larger databases, more files, obsolete files etc.). As I compiled my own kernel I even suspected some kernel changes which have to be done for Wheezy (currently running latest stable 3.16.1) or CPU governor problems. So I rebooted with the latest backport kernel for Debian Squeeze which was 3.2.0.x . With this kernel the machine was even 5 times slower, than with my self-build kernel. The transfer rate which was 35MB/s via Samba shares (and S-ATA) before dropped to 12MB/s after the update. Writing to NTFS via USB2.0 even dropped to 1MB/s. What the hell is going on there?!

Well, I thought, that the update might be the problem, so I just reinstalled Debian Wheezy via the netinst image. But I get the same SLOW speed. The Linux systems seems to be as slow as on a I386 !
    Does anybody know why the system is so slow?

The hardware I'm using is a Kontron PITX-SP based on an Intel Atom Z530 with 1.6 GHz and 2GB RAM.

Thank you and best regards,
    k-meleon

• Offizieller Beitrag

when you updated to wheezy, did you change from omv 0.5 sardaukar to omv 1.0 kralizec? squeeze needs sardaukar and wheezy needs kralizec.

I have used OMV 1.0 on a Raspberry Pi and it is usable. The Atom should be just fine. I could see ntfs being slow though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Strange. 1.0.11 is fast on every system I have tried including a single core sempron 145.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Just a remark: I don't think that this is a Openmediavault problem and I just want to warn other users who eventually want to update. Currently I can't recommend using Debian Wheezy on Intel Atom. Is that perhaps a BIOS option which wasn't respected in Squeeze and in Wheezy it is read out/used?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you use the backports 3.2 kernel on Squeeze?

I have run wheezy on atom systems before without a problem. Maybe it something with your board??

• Yes, I even used the backports 3.2 kernel on Squeeze before I recompiled my own kernel.

Well, it seems to be a BIOS setting which wasn't respected in Squeeze and in Wheezy now is (exactly the same kernel was used on both systems, it wasn't even replaced): I disabled all PowerManagement features in BIOS now and the speed seems to be as fast as on Squeeze. The system comsumes 1,5W more power. I'll try to install Openmediavault now and let's see, if I can reach the throughput via Samba as on Squeeze.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!