Running OMV on top of Debian 7 - help

• Hi All,
    I have a home built NAS that has been running OMV 0.5.60 since it's birth without any issues, other than it doesn't show any updates from the web GUI (but this is a non issue because of what I'm planning to do)

What I want to do is run both OMV 1 and MediaBrowser Server from my NAS.

So based on my understanding of things, I have created a VM (so that I can test the procedure first) with a fresh install of Debian 7 with LXDE window manager.
    I have have successfully installed OMV 1 on said VM, but when i rebooted it, it boots and then displays the same text interface as my NAS with OMV on it.
    So I now can't log into Debian. I tried startx thinking that this may have been disabled, but it says that it doesn't recognise the command.

Is this behavior by design, if so how do I change it so that I can log into the OS ? - or have I done something wrong in the setup procedure ?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated, please note I am in no way a Linux expert so please go slow with me :)

Thanks
    Damob

• Ok ... to look at this another way ..

Would it be better for me to run ESXi and have 2 separate OS's running (OMV 1 + Debian 7 with MediaBrowser Server) ?
    I've heard a bit about jails being used, but don't know enough about them or Linux to go down that route without some help & guidance.

Anyone ??
    Thanks

Damob

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!