Time to upgrade...... USB3 and big drives?

• Some of you may remember, a couple of years ago, I bulit an openmediavault 0.4.xx box, with what was at the time the biggest drives I could find, 4TB drives, the system was build around an AMD motherboard, a boot drive, a 1TB SSD for the fast stuff, and 4 x 4TB drives in a raid 10 for the long term storage. The system has worked well, but I'm now down to less than 500GB of free space on the RAID I feel it's time to upgrade.

The long term storage is all backed up to the cloud (don't ask) so I used literally the cheapest drives I could find which turned out to be external USB drives. Last time I stripped them down and pulled the SATA drives, and built them into the machine, this time it looks like building a box out of USB3 drives is still the cheapest way to go, however I'm wondering wether it is possible to build a RAID10 out of 4 or 8 USB3 drives, it looks like it would be possible to get a PCI-E card to support 7 USB3 devices, and the motherboard has atleast 2 USB3 ports. Bearing in mind that I'm not looking at out right speed for the mass storage, just local access to masses of data, would it be techincally possible to use the USB3 drives as they come, and literally have a stack of them next to the PC??

I noticed a few months ago there were problems with OMV and some USB3 drives has this been fixed? Am I likely to get a half decent speed with 4 or 8 drives hung on USB3 ports to form a RAID10?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!