SnapRaid Question

• For snapraid you need dedicate one drive as parity drive. This drive must be the same size or larger than the larger disk in the array.

e.g. if you have 1TB drive and a 3TB drive your parity drive has to be 3TB (or larger).
    The concept of snapraid is not much different from raid (the clue is in the name!) you don’t create a full backup. Instead you store some parity data that, in case of a drive loss, will allow you to recreate the missing data from the information on the parity drive and the other surviving drives.

You can read more here
    I hope that this helps
    FT

• For snapraid you need dedicate one drive as parity drive. This drive must be the same size or larger than the larger disk in the array.

e.g. if you have 1TB drive and a 3TB drive your parity drive has to be 3TB (or larger).
    The concept of snapraid is not much different from raid (the clue is in the name!) you don’t create a full backup. Instead you store some parity data that, in case of a drive loss, will allow you to recreate the missing data from the information on the parity drive and the other surviving drives.

You can read more here
    I hope that this helps
    FT

Thank you for the quick reply. i appreciate it. I read through the entire snapraid documentation prior to posting and i'm still at a loss for understanding how this "parity" or parity drive concept works. For example, if i had 4 3tb drives that were nearly full and then added 1 3tb (or 4tb) drive as a parity drive, how could snapraid possibly store 12tb of parity data on 1 3tb drive? Am i missing something?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!