Unending swirl of numbers

• The day before yesterday I took another crack at turning my old desktop into a NAS server mainly for plex and backing up. I made a few mistakes and thought I had to start from scratch (since then I've found an option to change the domain in the web UI and realised that I didn't have to start from scratch at all, but nevermind).

So, yesterday I took another crack at it. I got my FTP up and running and my plex server up, the ports open and my parents were able to peruse my movie/tv show collection from halfway across the country.
    I was happy, I spent all night downloading the contents of my seedbox onto my laptop ready to be put on my OMV. I put omv on standby at about 5am this morning via the web UI.

I've just woken up and turned it on again. This is what I see...

(turned it off with the on/off button and videoed the whole start up process in an attempt to premeditate any questions anyone might have.)

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Notes:
    It does this in recovery mode too.
    I get this error when I try to access the UI.

Zitat

An error has occured

communication failure

I know I'm probably going to have to reinstall, I'd just like anyone's thought son what caused it because otherwise I'll likely find myself back in this whirlpool of confusion and numbers in 3 hours time.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The fsck is failing miserably. I would guess the drive is failing. What type of drive?

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would replace it before doing anything. I would boot systemrescuecd and test the memory using memtest too.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• So, replace it, reinstall OMV on the new drive, repeat all configuration and see if the problem shows up again?

I think I'll just buy an SD card or usb drive, which of the two do you recommend?

Also, do you know if the scandisk sell a line of either of the two that uses static wear leveling?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, I would reinstall and see if it happens again.

I don't recommend sd cards or usb flash drives. If you are going to use one, make sure to install the openmediavault-flashmemory plugin.

Not sure.

• I actually got a Red, is that bad? I'm using a red in my current setup as the second drive for all my media. I chose Red because I'm saving for a NAS and would rather spend money on drives that can be transferred to the NAS when the time comes.

• Oh, good.

I'm now getting a bunch of errors for my second hard drive, I think.

There are hundreds of them and they look a little like this

[ 1685. 715159] EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:739: group 1008, 16220 clusters in bitmap, 24544 in gd

Any idea what this means? :/

Note, I am currently transferring files via ftp.

• I don't think it's capable of AHCI, there's certainly no setting for it in the BIOS, only IDE.

I assumed there was an issue with the drive and tried to wipe it in the omv GUI. I then started having a million issues with Plex when I was creating folders again, so I reinstalled OMV... It wouldn't boot and I was met with the "out of disk" error consistently for like 3 hours. I went through a whole range of emotions from blind rage to despair during this entire process, took some time out, played some Witcher until I felt like I could look at that computer again without throwing it out of the window.

I've now wiped both drives with a partition manager and I'm reinstallaing omv now as I type.

It's just been one of those days, I think.

------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I'll make a new thread, since this is a completely different problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!