Beiträge von JPT

Hi,

until now I simply had Debian on my NAS but now I decided to build a RAID and install OMV.

So, OMV does not use LVM on top of RAID, is that correct?

May I edit the OMV section in /etc/fstab?

this explains tuning the ext4 fs when it's sitting on a Raid.
    So I calculated from this thread:

Code
    mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -E stride=128,stripe-width=256 -O dir_index -L RAID /dev/md0

Now to the mount options.
    OMV uses

Code
    /dev/disk/by-label/RAID /srv/dev-disk-by-label-RAID ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,noexec,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl

You are aware that the short form of this would be to use LABEL=RAID?

• nofail and noexec are fine.
    • three quota parameters - I should not touch them, as they for sure interact with OMV quota somewhere
    • acl - this is access permissions that are more flexibel than chmod? never dealt with them. won't touch. ;)

thanks for any help
    The thread linked above recommends mount options:

Code
    data=writeback,noatime,nouser_xattr

This does the following

• data=writeback - disables journaling for the data, the file content. Only metadata, ie the filesystem changes are journaled.
    • noatime - does not touch the access time ever. relatime only touches the access time if it's older than the mtime I think, so once for every file. (I use relatime on my SSDs)
    • nouser_xattr - extended attributes. no idea what they are good for!

For a home NAS I like this approach for reducing write access...
    Anything that conflicts with OMV? any other comments?

ah, another question. the thread I am always referring to...
    it talks about the fs options stride and stripe-width. But all kernel doc I found only talks about stripe. how come? The effective mount options now show stripe=256.

Why do you want to make a raid?My thoughts about... RAID

I am aware of that.
    My plan is this to have a single store for all my data, this enables me to

• make backups without much effort, thats what the old drives are good for
    • organize my data, instead of having a bunch of disks laying around nobody knows what's stored on them

and I am going to move next year where I'll have ftth (fiber to the home). let's see what's that good for ;)

I know the device is incredibly slow. transfering data localy is around 50MB/s I think because the ext4 take some effort regarding CPU. going to be slower with RAID I expect. but let's see. if it doesn't work out, I probably take an old PC for the RAID...

BTW: LAN-problem is solved, I simply built a new 4.4.198 kernel.

Hi,

after having the NAS unused for three years because of trouble with LAN driver...
    I finally put OVM on top of the old debian Stretch using this guide and it works fine without much hassle!

Hardware specs:
    Marvell SoC Armada 370 ARMv7 1.2Ghz
    128 MB NAND Flash
    512 MB DDR3 1333Mhz
    4 SATA 3,5" bays

Haven't created a raid yet, the disks should arrive today.

See here for installing debian on those old ReadyNAS devices

Only problems still

• the latest kernel from the above link has got a LAN problem. simply building latest kernel.org 4.4 solved the issue for me.
    • Python backend? is rather slow on this device
    • monit complains about high load when clamav is running. OMV does not allow defining monit rules?

Hi,

OMV is available for the Rasperry Pi, so I hope there are chances to make it run on my Netgear ReadyNAS RN104.
    It uses a Marvell ARMADA 370, which is an ARMv7, the Raspberry is a ARMv7-A, which I hope is the same?

I currently run plain Debian armhf on it but well... it's no NAS OS.
    I've got a self built kernel 4.0.5 (from kernel.org) running, see http://natisbad.org/NAS3/index.html

What I need is an initrd containing the installer so I can load it into RAM using U-Boot.
    Since the device is head-less I need access to the installer over serial line (or network).

Any hints where to start?
    Which device and which version should I download?
    Or should Itry to build an installer image from source myself?

thank you very much

Jan

Hi,

I am planning to install OMV to my Netgear NAS. But before I want to try it in Oracle VirtualBox.

I installed it, booted it... but the web port is not reachable.

Code
    (host) $ nmap -Pn  10.0.2.15
    Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2016-05-10 09:47 CEST
    Nmap scan report for 10.0.2.15
    Host is up.
    All 1000 scanned ports on 10.0.2.15 are filtered

So the network is set up correctly?! (NAT mode) OMV is able to reach the internet.

I tried omv-firstaid, but this did not help.

How do I start the web-ui?

thanks

JPT