Posts by David B

@votdev I did the test upgrade in VirtualBox, and everything went smoothly with the exception of problems with three plugins: Let's Encrypt, OpenVPN, and MySQL.

I haven't been able to get a helpful error message for the OpenVPN problem yet, but when I try to install Let's Encrypt, here's what happens.

The MySQL plugin installs just fine, but when I log in to the user interface, this keeps popping up every few seconds.

Here's the stack trace's full text:

Once I get more information on the OpenVPN problem, I'll post it here. I understand that a fresh start would be easier, but I want to learn more about Linux anyway. This will just help force me to get help and learn more.

Unless it is a really large SD card, I would just image the card the same way you wrote it the card initially. dd and win32diskimager both would work to make a back. gzip or 7zip the image to save space.

I've taken a backup of my system using DD and have copied on to laptop so that if necessary, I'll have easy access. I'm currently doing a test upgrade to OMV3 in VirtualBox. The only difference is that the test is being done directly on the machine, but I will be doing the RPi through SSH. Will that be a problem?

The logos look good, but I think the logo should not contain the characters OMV to do not get in trouble with the same named mineral oil company.

For your information, I have modified the openmediavault logo yesterday.

I didn't even notice! It's a small change, but it looks good!

upgrading or installing fresh? The upgrade process does not go smoothly. Fresh installs are very good.

I've tested the upgrade process several times in virtual machines, and the only problem I always run in to has to do with one of my plugins (do not remember which), but I have found that if I uninstall it and reinstall it, the problem goes away. I can do a clean install if it is the recommended way, but I will still test the upgrade to let you know which plugin causes the problem.

The same amount of support that OMV 2 gets.
    I won't tell you to be quiet. If you have read my numerous other posts responding to people asking about OMV 3.x, the latest posts mostly say OMV 3.x is stable depending on the plugins you use.

Well, since the WOL plugin is now supported by OMV3, it looks like everything I use is good to go. I'll look in to upgrading this weekend. Thanks!

If you only use those three plugins, you could probably start using it now.

How much support is currently provided for OMV3? I am willing to upgrade to the latest release, but at the same time, I am extremely concerned that if I run in to any problems at all, I will be told to be quiet because OMV3 is in beta after all.

Why don't you install the key and see if it fixes it? Are you worried adding the key will hurt something? Otherwise, post the message. Not exactly sure what message you are referring to.

No, I'm not concerned at all. I just want to learn how repo keys work, as I do not really know.

I just looked in my log and saw "An error occurred during signature verification...", so I installed the key, as the number and letter sequence at the end of the log entry is identical to the key you posted.

If you are using OMV 3.x, it isn't an issue. If you have omv-extras 2.13.4 installed, it isn't an issue. Executing the command won't hurt anything though. It just installs a repo key.

I've noticed that when I take updates, there's always a message about skipping validation checking or something like that because it could not be completed. Does this repo key need to be installed in order to fix that?

Not sure why this is happening but I had to update the signing key due to weakness. apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv EDEE7D73 will fix.

How can I tell if this is an issue for me or if everything is working properly?

You are correct. I actually put it in the omv-extras testing repo myself on august 1st. That is why it is a good reason to look at bintray rather than rely on my memory :D (especially for a plugin that I don't work on or use).

Great! Thanks! Since it sounds to me like OMV3 is a very stable beta, I have been considering upgrading my system to it, but I don't want to jump in to it without first knowing what I am getting myself in to, and since I now use the Let's Encrypt plugin, I want to make sure it's available.

I was not aware of the bintray link. In the future, I will look at it if I have any questions about what is in the repo.

I am interested in using NextCloud with OMV installation, but I have one problem: there is no NextCloud plugin available for OMV. To work around this, I would like to install the OwnCloud plugin on my OMV installation, and then replace OwnCloud with NextCloud. In this way, I would be able to use the OMV User Interface for the plugin with NextCloud. The problem is that I do not know if this is possible, and furthermore, if the OwnCloud plugin receives an update, what guarantee is there that NextCloud would continue to work?

Is what I want to do reasonable, or would it be better to stay away from doing something like this?

Every time an update becomes available, I like to check out the changelog just to see what's changed, if anything. The last few times that updates have come out though, I have been unable to view changelogs, and instead get an error. This error came from an attempt to look at the changelog for the "curl 7.26.0-1+wheezy14" package, but it seems to happen for everything.

Quote from OpenMediaVault Error

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile '/var/cache/apt/archives/curl_7.26.0-1+wheezy14_armhf.deb' | tar -x --wildcards -C /tmp/57a60df75124e ./usr/share/doc/curl/changelog* 2>&1': tar: This does not look like a tar archive tar: ./usr/share/doc/curl/changelog.Debian.gz: Not found in archive tar: ./usr/share/doc/curl/changelog.gz: Not found in archive tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Whenever I click on the "Show details" button, this is what I see.

Quote from OpenMediaVault Error Stack Trace

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile '/var/cache/apt/archives/curl_7.26.0-1+wheezy14_armhf.deb' | tar -x --wildcards -C /tmp/57a60df75124e ./usr/share/doc/curl/changelog* 2>&1': tar: This does not look like a tar archivetar: ./usr/share/doc/curl/changelog.Debian.gz: Not found in archivetar: ./usr/share/doc/curl/changelog.gz: Not found in archivetar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/apt.inc:405Stack trace:#0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceApt->getChangeLog(Array, Array)#1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('getChangeLog', Array, Array)#3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Apt', 'getChangeLog', Array, Array, 1)#4 {main}

What's the matter? Is it a bug, do some packages simply not behave properly when one attempts to view the changelog, or is something wrong with my OMV installation?