Beiträge von darkarn

Hmm, looks like I will have to bear with it until I can save up for a more modern setup; the NAS functionality is the main priority for now.

But ok, let me lay down my requirements again to see if this is feasible, in order of importance.

I need a NAS with SAMBA that can transmit my files well in a pooled environment (i.e. mergefs).
    It should have an UI that tells me the health of my HDDs from time to time so that I can pre-empt HDD failure with timely replacement. (i.e. the S.M.A.R.T capabilities)
    It should be able to back itself up into another Windows computer that already has an older copy of the data (i.e. Rsync or manual weekly FreeFileSync mirroring from that computer)
    It should be able to allow me to seamlessly replace the HDDs without needing to take down the entire NAS to do so (for now I need to do so; had to use Parted Magic) (i.e. RAID?)
    It should be set to be accessible worldwide by only me (i.e. VPN)
    Finally for this section, some transcoding ability will be nice (i.e. Plex)

I also will need at least two instances of OwnCloud, which is Debian-based
    One for sharing files with my friends (legal stuff only of course!)
    Another for backing up my calendar and contacts from my phone
    For this section, I will need to decide if the OwnCloud plugin will suffice and also whether one of them can be replaced by Baikal, which means I need a LAMP stack for this.

I also will like to have at least one instance of a LAMP stack (or even MEAN)
    Each LAMP stack will host only one web project/website
    Each stack is like my "production" (I hope this is the right term to use!) server for the website
    Idea is to let me update my website there and then access them from some computers (I may restrict this to my home network) as a way to test them before pushing them to a live server in the Internet for all to see.

Finally, from time to time, I will like to have one or two *nix desktop VMs to play around with for educational purposes

All in all, I think my setup will be OMV baremetal, with 2 OwnCloud VMs running together with OMV, and another 4 to 6 VMs containing LAMP, MEAN or *nix desktop OS that will be occasionally switched on from time to time.

I know that maybe I should have said all these earlier lol; I hope now these will make my intent for my OMV project clearer for all! :)

I am now running the ESXi server (the one with Q6600; I have decided to sell the Phenom) with OMV as one of its VM. I am getting only 40MB/s instead of 80 to 90MB/s in Samba, which is quite unexpectedly bad (I think I got about 70 when using the Phenom ESXi server)

I am now considering using OMV baremetal and letting it become the hypervisor via VirtualBox. Will this let me still consolidate my IT stuff and also get better file transfer speeds?

Thanks, I will try that in a while. Do I need to tweak SAMBA too (and will its effects work on Mac/Linux computers that read or write data from the OMV host?)?

EDIT: Hmm, I can't seem to find a text box for me to use these flags in the unionfilesystem plugin. Does these need me to modify the fstab file by hand?

Alright, I am done converting the HDDs to EX4; the mergefs pool is now a pure EX4 pool.

I am seeing some speed improvements (e.g. initlal 90MB/s but then dropdown to 60MB/s instead of constant 40MB/s to 50MB/s). I am not too sure what to make out of this yet though; I may just want to shift this pool into a new machine first before pondering on the tweaking. Will this means that I should just mount the HDDs in the new machine and then create the pool again?

mergerfs just pools the drives. It isn't a filesystem and doesn't manage filesystem changes or drive changes. Raid does what you are thinking.

To change to a new filesystem, I would put a new drive in, rsync files from old drive to new drive, remove old drive from pool, add new drive to pool, reboot.

Yes, that is all you have to do to move the drives.

Thanks, almost done checking the data on this pool and my backup HDDs, will update here as I go through these steps.

You can't convert directly from ntfs to ext4. You move the data off the drive, format as ext4, and put the data back on the drive. Moving to another system doesn't cause problems.

Ah I see, I was under the impression that when adding new HDDs to the pool and then removing one of the HDDs containing the data, the data of the removed HDD will be automatically shifted to the new HDDs via mergefs (what's the proper software that can do this?)

So, if I want to shift my pool of HDDs into a new machine/host, all I have to do is to move them (i.e. unplug from old machine and then connect them to the new one) and then set up the pool again in the new machine like how I first set up the pool?

The Phenoms are not good for saving energy but it should work until you can get something else.

That's what I am thinking given that it is the only machine that can have 16GB of RAM; the rest are Q6600 with a maximum of 8GB of RAM. I am also sourcing out alternatives and even possible buyers for the Phenom II CPU (not the whole machine I guess)

I am more concerned about any effects of undervolting and underclocking for the OMV VM and maybe even ESXi itself.

Hi, while I have been using OpenMediaVault for the last 6 months and have always been on the fence thus my usage of NTFS, it is only recently that I have decided to go more fully into it (helps a lot when I have another backup too on another computer!). So, I understand (and have seen via some quick tests) that using EX4 HDDs are way better and faster and I will like to convert my NTFS HDDs inside my MHDDFS pool into EX4 HDDs. After this, I may move the HDDs into a new machine too due to better airflow and consolidation e.t.c.

My MHDDFS pool has the following HDDs:

• 1x HGST HTS721010A9E630 (1TB) (2.5 inch)
    • 1x Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 (3TB) (3.5 inch)
    • 1x SAMSUNG HD103SJ (1TB) (3.5 inch)

I have two empty Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB HDDs (3.5 inch) and also a Toshiba MK3263GSX 320GB HDD (2.5 inch) that can be deployed to help in the migration. (I am even considering leaving the Barracudas in as part of my pool and taking out the HGST for my laptop instead. The 320GB will be eventually used for a different purpose)

How should I best proceed? (I am trying not to use the backup as much as possible even though the data is more or less the same)

Thanks!

Wow, thanks, that's a late-game build that I can aim for :D

Meanwhile, I am thinking of just using the Phenom II X4 machine as my ESXi machine due to it having a better casing for the HDDs but undervolt and even underclock it. Good idea? (This move will have other issues too, which I think can be better asked in other threads)

My server typically pulls about 220 watts. I know this sounds high but I have 3 raid cards, 20 3.5" hard drives, and 6 SSDs in it :)

That's a lot, I am not sure if my family will be ok with me pulling that much LOL... Then again, my 3 machines and my main setup are pulling about 350W for much less HDDs and SSDs, so I guess we are even :D

What are the other specs of your server? (I am asking as I need to have a rough sense of what's going on e.t.c.)

Yep, plex and snapraid are happier with more memory.

I would get haswell or newer cpu. More, slower cores are better than less, faster cores as well. My server has six VMs running all the time and more testing VMs some of the time. It does well with 16gb of ram. My VMs are stored on SSDs for better speed as well.

Nice, looks like I should aim for something like that (instead of just a baremetal OMV setup, which is good but I think I am ready for something more interesting).

How's the power consumption of your server (and these CPUs) like?

If OMV is doing more than just being a fileserver, it might need more than 1 gb.

I see, examples are like SnapRaid, Plex e.t.c.?

Also, in other words, in my use case, should I be aiming to build a ESXi server that can have an OMV VM but yet also low power? Which CPU and hardware can I start looking at?

If you want to use the machine as a workstation, you need to passthrough the gpu. Otherwise, you don't need to.

Depends on what you are doing with the VMs. 7 GB is enough for multiple VMs. 1 GB for OMV and 2 GB for Windows.

I intend for the Windows/Hackintosh VM as a workstation (or even gaming) VM, hence the need for passthrough in this case.

Under what circumstance should I allocate more than 1GB of RAM to OMV?

7gb will work well for an OMV VM and Windows.

If I need a few more VMs with OMV and Windows (or even Hackintosh?), I understand that 7GB RAM will be barely enough and I will need VT-d for the Windows VM to work properly (since I need to passthrough a GPU to it), right?

Also, I wonder how to do these in the most energy efficient way...