Beiträge von ionut007

Hello to all,
    I have the folowing configuration:
    HP Microserver Gen 8 G1610T with the latest firmware.
    2 4TB HDD in bay 1 and 2 and one 1 TB HDD in bay 3.
    Installed OMV 3.x who worked just fine, until now, from a 16 GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card (brand new) with NoFlash extra on OMV.

As I had some issues with the 2 4TB HDDs (were both brand new and broken) my NAS was shut down for a few days.
    I removed the 2 HDDs from bay 1 and 2 to get them tested and when I booted the system I got this message:

I mentioned that I removed the HDDs because that was the only change between when it worked and after.
    Prior to this I had some other attempts to install OMV 2.x, 2 of them were partially successful, but on both cases after a few days I was unable to boot OMV. Being a total noob on Linux and servers I just reinstalled the system, especially that was still nothing on it.
    Also I noticed that if I try to install OMV with the HDD's in bay the automatic process is not working, It always jam's at GRUB install, but if you remove all HDDs, the installation goes without any problem. This suggest that on install GRUB only knows to install on /sda, because if you have all the hdd's in, on the HP Gen8 Microserver, the SD card becomes /sdd and the others are /sda, /sdb, /sdc.
    I am writing this because if the SD Card is not broken then my problem is generated by the GRUB who, apparently, is lost when you mess with HDDs location.
    I searched the forum for "ELF Magic" and the only posts I found was one from 2012 with the SD Card brokenand another from 2014.

I have 3 questions:
    1. If it make sense what I am saying above about the controllers, is there any way to set up from BIOS on HP Gen 8 Microserver the order of the controls in order to have the SD Card always on /sda ???
    2. Is my SD card broken or is a problem with the GRUB?
    3. What programs (windows or MAC) can I use to test the SD card?

Thanks,
    Ionut

Hello to all,
    I have the folowing configuration:
    HP Microserver Gen 8 G1610T with the latest firmware.
    2 4TB HDD in bay 1 and 2 and one 1 TB HDD in bay 3.
    Installed OMV 3.x who worked just fine, until now, from a 16 GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card (brand new) with NoFlash extra on OMV.

As I had some issues with the 2 4TB HDDs (were both brand new and broken) my NAS was shut down for a few days.
    I removed the 2 HDDs from bay 1 and 2 to get them tested and when I booted the system I got this message:

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/6009/

I mentioned that I removed the HDDs because that was the only change between when it worked and after.
    Prior to this I had some other attempts to install OMV 2.x, 2 of them were partially successful, but on both cases after a few days I was unable to boot OMV. Being a total noob on Linux and servers I just reinstalled the system, especially that was still nothing on it.
    Also I noticed that if I try to install OMV with the HDD's in bay the automatic process is not working, It always jam's at GRUB install, but if you remove all HDDs, the installation goes without any problem. This suggest that on install GRUB only knows to install on /sda, because if you have all the hdd's in, on the HP Gen8 Microserver, the SD card becomes /sdd and the others are /sda, /sdb, /sdc.
    I am writing this because if the SD Card is not broken then my problem is generated by the GRUB who, apparently, is lost when you mess with HDDs location.
    I searched the forum for "ELF Magic" and the only posts I found was one from 2012 with the SD Card broken and another from 2014.

I have 3 questions:
    1. If it make sense what I am saying above about the controllers, is there any way to set up from BIOS on HP Gen 8 Microserver the order of the controls in order to have the SD Card always on /sda ???
    2. Is my SD card broken or is a problem with the GRUB?
    3. What programs (windows or MAC) can I use to test the SD card?

The problem with the two HHD was that they were not spinning at all.
    Probably they were broke by the shipper during transport, I gave them back to be replaced.
    I will move the GRUB issue on another tread.
    Ionut

I was reading through your post, and honestly although I see some SMART issues this should not have any effect on the disk itself. My only advise is to try and zero out at least the first few hundred megabytes across the disk, and try formatting it again on EXT4 using the web GUI. I've seen my own share of odd behaviors when there was data already present on the drive.

I will try but these HDD are brand new, with no data on it.
    In the mean time, this morning I started the NAS, it was shut down for a few days, didn'd had time for it, and in stead of booting, OMV just showed me this message:

What should I do. The SD card I use is a 16 GB SanDisk extreme brand new so it should be reliable.
    Thanks,
    Ionut

Hello to all,
    I have a HP Gen 8 G1610T with the latest firmware (console on iPhone, pretty cool :)) and I have 2 Seagate (brand new) 4TB HDD and another one 1 TB HDD.

The 2 Seagate are mounted in firsts an second bay of the server.
    I disabled the built-in HP B120i RAID controller and I have activated AHCI.
    OMV version 3.x (Erasmus) is installed on SD-Card and I installed also the NoFlash plugin.

My problem is that I just can’t mount those 2 4 TB HDD, anything I try I get error.
    I tried the OMV Web interface, error. (Pozele 2 si 3)

Tried mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda and b the same problem. See movie
    If I try fdisk -l /dev/sda (or sdb) it says: fdisk cannot open /dev/sda input/output error

I tried with gParted, the same result. ( see movie )
    I activated SMART on OMV and in SMART extended info it says:

“smartctl 6.4 2014-10-07 r4002 [x86_64-linux-4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64] (local build)
    Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, http://www.smartmontools.org
    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Device Model:ST4000VN
    Serial Number:WDH17xxx
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 09da02xxx
    Firmware Version: SC60
    User Capacity:4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
    Sector Size:512 bytes logical/physical
    Rotation Rate:7200 rpm
    Device is:Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
    ATA Version is:ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
    SATA Version is:SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s
    Local Time is:Wed Mar1 00:31:15 2017 EET
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled
    AAM feature is:Unavailable
    APM feature is:Unavailable
    Rd look-ahead is: Enabled
    Write cache is:Enabled
    ATA Security is:Disabled, NOT FROZEN [SEC1]
    Read SCT Status failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Wt Cache Reorder: Unknown (SCT Feature Control command failed)
    Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART Status command failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!
    SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.
    Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x00:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Read GP Log Directory failed
    SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log (GP Log 0x03) not supported
    Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    SMART Extended Self-test Log (GP Log 0x07) not supported
    Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Selective Self-tests/Logging not supported
    SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command failed
    Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported
    ATA_READ_LOG_EXT (addr=0x11:0x00, page=0, n=1) failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
    Read SATA Phy Event Counters failed”

I don’t have a desktop computer where to install those hdd to se what windows says about them and I ran out of ideas. Are the hdd broken or there is a bios setting that is wrong?
    Please advise.
    Thank you in advance,
    Ionut