Beiträge von geaves

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbup::thumbup:

Is that Wal-Mart UK?

I actually found this which is what started me thinking about 'growing' and 'expanding' I have noticed with linux that some things are specific...like case sensitivity, get it wrong and it doesn't work.

According to Oxford English Dictionary;

expand; to increase in size, number
    grow; to increase in size or amount

So taking that as literal the 'grow' on the raid option; to grow the amount of space, what you actually want to achieve is to expand it.....however, the linux interpretation may be different ^^

No need to go to developer link.

• Install omv-extras
    • Install openmediavault-apttool plugin from Plugins tab.
    • Add new repo in omv-extras repo tab using the settings in the attached pic.

• Then go to Search tab in apt tool plugin and type emby.

• Select emby-server and click Add to Packages tab.
    • Go to packages tab and click refresh button on the bottom of the grid.
    • Select emby-server and click Tools -> Install.
    • Wait for it to install.
    • Go to http://server-ip:8096/ and enjoy.

That was one of the first things I did following this but I don't see the apttool in the plugins list....is this only for V3? or should this show in the plugin list for V2?

Looks as if I'll be 'cooking' earlier......got I mirror set up, samba share for swmbo for her files, second raid resyncing.....and apart from my W10 machine not wanting to connect to share until I enabled smb2/3 and disabled smb1 it's looking good for starters.

Not so painful after all :thumbup: just gotta fix my case fan.

Really doesn't need to be. You can add the opensuse repo using omv-extras. And you can install the package with the apttool plugin.

Apologies....I'm trying to find this so that I can install Emby...I've followed the developer link...then to github...there is a zip to download....I can do this from the CLI....but I thought why not use the GUI....but I'm obviously missing something.

Noob alert input.... :) what if the "grow" option in v3 is being implemented as expand would this not explain why the additional drive is being added as a spare, expand being 'increasing drive capacity by using larger drives within the array'

I'll go sit in the corner if I'm talking a load of tosh.

Wow...thank you... :thumbup: you're hired...personal mentor..... :D all now working on usb, I've got 2 sandisk cruzers...have yet to clone the second thought I would leave that until all the drives are in place and set up....hopefully by Sunday I should be 'cooking on gas' :P

Ok, I'm new here but I thought I would test the install on a laptop hard drive, all went well, got the gui up, installed the extras just to get an understanding but done nothing else. However, this has appeared twice....hm!! uploading an image resizes it...However, message reads;

Software failure. Press left mouse button to continue. Session not authenticated.

Comes up in red letters and a flashing red box, obviously this is not normal and considering I am logged into the gui....and it's happened again going back to the gui. Is this because in my enthusiasm I installed the extras before running all the updates?

*If using a thumb drive, just remember to install the Flash media plugin and configure it

See....noob question....before I go out and buy a flash drive I thought I would install on an laptop drive (this is v2.1 from sourceforge) painless :) and installed the extras plugin....but!! I can't see/find anything that says flash media plugin or is this something you have to download/upload and install.....and ;) in the updates there's shed loads, just tick the root box and install?

do you have a screenshot of that "error"?

No, I actually deleted them yesterday, but it did again just now when replying to a thread.....but and this is from memory something about App/Error/Logs if it does it again I'll screenshot it or copy the output.

EDIT: Ok this may or may not be of relevance, most forums including this one use a quick reply on here you get 'more options' on other sites it can be just 'advanced'......it's that that seems to be the problem. To reply to your post I left it on quick reply, when I replied to my own thread I used 'more options' and got the error when hitting reply.

Now, don't beat me up over this

Not at all I completely agree with what you're saying, if I hadn't got the above for zero cost then I would be looking toward something more lean and green. For some reason this week when I was working at home I decided to google for open source nas, I came across a site that reviewed 5, 1 I had tried, 1 I was using, 2 I had researched before, then there was OMV...hm!! not heard of that. Read through each review, pros and cons....then he rated them...OMV came top the one I use was bottom.
    So off I went again and with the help of mr google I start reading up OMV before finding myself here, and it seems it will do what I need, file server and a media server without the need to use jails or vm's, and I can use just one machine.

If transcoding of streams is not involved - I'd also argue:

That's the kicker, until I can convert mkv's to mp4's I'm going to need something that can transcode.

I have 2 other servers at home which I have to take to recycle centre, one's an HP Proliant Gen4 and the other is a Dell which uses the old iSCSI drives (used to be the schools library server).

TBH I hadn't thought about using a flash drive simply from the fact that you can image/clone these. Ok noob question ^^ 'Flash media plugin' I'm guessing this has something to do with read/write on the flash drive.

as for backing up I am not sure it is possible to backup/restore OMV configuration.
    you can save the config file but you can not import it back in.

I have found that there is a config.xml that you can save, there is a thread about what to do regarding a reinstall, so somewhere in the gui there must be an option to import that config.xml after you have completed a reinstall and reconnected your data drives, either that or you copy that config and overwrite the newly created one and reboot.

But I don't relish the idea of cli for zfs or btrfs, on my current system it's all in the gui for zfs....I'm still a noob when it comes to anything Linux and I find I have to search for a lot of what I want to know or understand.

I had/have an issue with my current setup, my Ubuntu server has symlinks back to the nas for Emby......last week the nas starting maxing the cpu X( long story short found a solution on bugzilla. This was a kernel issue relating to smb the workaround was to add deadtime = 0 to the smb.conf global, that sorted it until today when I had to reboot the nas....had an issue with ram usage in the gui and top....after the reboot ram sorted, high cpu....so I rebooted the server and it was all Ok again.

I used BTRFS before, and still do, so I understand that

That's used by Rockstor, thought about trying that. but OMV seems to have excellent reviews and from what you have answered would fulfil my needs.

I've read your thread regarding setting a raid OS, I can understand why you do it but for me it would be overkill, so long as I can backup/save a config file/xml that should be enough.

Well I've already started backing up my data, the next step will be to run dban, then move all the drives around, hopefully, perhaps by the weekend I start an installation :thumbup: then by Sunday/Monday I can start asking the usual 'noob' questions. :D

Thanks for your input.

Is this a newbie thing :D post a new thread....server error....post a reply.....server error.......submit again....server error.....only to go back to the forum and find you've posted the same thing twice :cursing: but with a note under the second requiring moderator approval.