Beiträge von trey.merkley

• why not upgrading to OMV4?

I haven't needed to until now, and while I know dist-upgrade is pretty stable, I've had bad experiences with it in the past and I wanted to make sure I deleted everything I needed to to upgrade. I most likely will upgrade after moving everything around.

Otherwise, thanks for all of the info. I'll poke around and try to get this set up when I have a spare minute.

So my system right now is an Ext4 Raid1 with encryption. I set it up this way for data preservation, but I've been reading around, and it seems like Ext4 is a poor way of going about it.

As it happens, though, I just replaced one of my working drives, so in theory I have a disc with all of my data. I was thinking I should convert to a BTRFS pool, but I wanted to hear your thoughts on it. My server is an older desktop with 4Gb of memory, the OS on a flash drive, and a dual core processor.

My assumption is that I could plug the extra drive in my desktop, create a new encrypted BTRFS pool with the new drives, copy over my files, and get the same performance, but with better data preservation. If this is wrong, why, and how would I go about doing what I want or whatever I need that I don't know yet?

Alright, I ran cryptsetup resize /dev/dm-0, and after it completed, I went to the web GUI and ran the resize command. It's now showing the server at full size.
    As for the other question about converting to a btrfs system, should I post in a new thread?

Yeah, it is ext4, and here's the output:
    $ sudo umount /dev/dm-0[sudo] password for laptop:$ fsck -f /dev/dm-0-dash: 6: fsck: not found$ resize2fs /dev/dm-0-dash: 7: resize2fs: not found$ sudo resize2fs /dev/dm-0resize2fs 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)Please run 'e2fsck -f /dev/dm-0' first.

$ sudo e2fsck -f /dev/dm-0e2fsck 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizesPass 2: Checking directory structurePass 3: Checking directory connectivityPass 4: Checking reference countsPass 5: Checking group summary informationClementine: 222434/30523392 files (0.8% non-contiguous), 119426708/122063360 blocks$ sudo resize2fs /dev/dm-0resize2fs 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)The filesystem is already 122063360 (4k) blocks long. Nothing to do!

So I had an asymmetrical Raid1 as a basic file server. One drive was .5Tb and the other was 2Tb. I just replaced the .5 with another 2Tb, and I'm trying to resize the filesystem to match the new size.

My issue is functionally identical to the one in this thread, so I followed the same instructions, ie forcing mdadm to resync to the max capacity. However now that it's completed, the webclient still is showing the former size, and the thread essentially stops after running this command. What do I need to do to get it the right size? My guess was to ssh into the system and run parted, but I figured there's a better way to do this.

EDIT: After looking around on the forum, it looks like doing a Raid1 was a bad idea from the get-go (or at least should have been migrated at some point over the past couple of years). Since I have the old drive and no new data had been added, could I create a btrfs pool with the 2Tb drives, plug the old drive into my desktop, and copy everything over?

No, not really. This was mostly an effort to make nothing go to waste of my hardware and to avoid buying all new stuff for it. I could probably get a network card. Would that also explain the transfer rates dropping?

EDIT: I do have ethernet available, but I don't have a cord that will reach. Do I just need to get a long enough Ethernet cord?

Hey guys,

I built an OMV NAS using some old hardware I had lying around, but my average file transfer speed seems disproportionately low, so I wanted to ask your opinion.

I'm usually pulling around 900 Kb/s, and every once in a while I can hit and exceed 1 Mb/s, usually capping out around 1.8, but that's rare and a far cry from the ~40 Mb/s people are saying is low. Additionally, if I let the drives sit around for too long without playing with the webclient, the rates will nosedive to around 80 Kb/s. Is there any reason for this?

It's chugging along using the latest stable release of Erasmus, RAID1 configuration with LUKS encryption enabled on an Ext4 filesystem. I'm using SMB for all of my file transfer. My processor is an Intel Core Duo clocked to 1.86 Ghz, with 2Gb of memory and an Edimax Realtek Wi-Fi adapter.

I know my specs are pretty modest in relation to what I'm trying to get out of the system. I really would be perfectly satisfied with rates around 3-4 Mb/s.

Lemme know if you guys need anything else.

EDIT: just upgraded to cat5e, and now I'm clocking about 10.5 MB/s, which is more than acceptable to me. Thanks!

Oh god, okay, got it largely fixed. The problem is that my user account on my Debian installation was in the root group, not the user's. So, I just added my user for OMV to the root group and everything is peachy keen.

I know this is a bilingual forum, so I just kind of realized that not everyone here has a reference point for that idiom.

Regardless, if someone can explain how to mark this as solved, I'd be much obliged.

Hey guys, this is my first time posting, so I'm not sure what you guys need to help, but I'd be happy to supply.

I set up a shared folder and I'm trying to access it from my Debian installation, but I can't copy over files; when I attempt to, I get a "Permission Denied" error. However, when I try to create folders or files, everything works fine. When I check the permissions page on the drive from my Debian install, it says that the owner (root), group (root), and others have read/write access, and I have the username I logged into the share with set to read/write as well.

This type of problem seems to be pretty common, so there may be an obvious solution that I've overlooked.

Thanks!

EDIT: FTP is giving me the same problems.