Beiträge von drew_p13

So I'm running RAID1 on two NAS drives, with OMV running off of a 120gb SSD. I'm only getting write speeds of ~10mbps, which I think is a little slower than it should be performing. Would it make sense to buy a small USB drive to run OMV on and use the SSD as a write cache?

This and 'bus error' are an indication that you had SATA cable/connector problems and might still have. Internal SATA connectors are rated for 50 matings max and the combination of dust and grease (that's what we have on our fingers) is a great way to introduce connector troubles.
    Wrt voltage you would need to measure at the drive since why should voltage values proudly presented by your BIOS be of any meaning (check Ohm's law)

Thanks, I'll switch out SATA connectors again and see if the issue is still there. It may be my motherboard, which I would not be too surprised about.

Can you please post the smart values for the drive here in the forum ?

Is this what you were asking for?

Can you please post the smart values for the drive here in the forum ?

Is this what you were asking for?

I thought that might be the issue but I'm not exactly sure how to check for that...
    I am able to read/write through my SMB share but Plex cannot access it.

EDIT: Changed permissions using chmod and Plex is working correctly now.

Hi all,

So when I first built my server I was using FreeNAS. I was getting some errors, so I switched to OMV thinking that it might be the OS, but now I am getting the same issues.

Googling the error brought me to this page: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2272486 which showed a user with a similar issue who had a power supply issue, with the 12v dropping to 10.2v. I checked my system BIOS and all my PSU stats are exactly what they should be.

I had this error before, so I found the drive ATA2 that was having the errors and switched SATA ports and SATA cables, and the problem persisted.

Could I have a bad drive? A bad PSU? Is my motherboard/CPU incompatible?

EDIT: I am also having issues where Plex is not able to read any data at all off my filesystem. Could this be related?

Hi all,

So I finally set up my ZFS pool and SMB share, and am able to access it from my computer. Now I need to put all of my data onto the server, which I have on a SATA hard drive. Is there any way to import this disk by plugging it straight into the server itself and transferring the data, or do I have to do this through computers connected to the server?

Not sure if a raidz1 is possible with only two drives. I thought it must be at least 3. Anyway if you want to use two drives, a zmirror is way better - easy resilvering, great performance.

More of them: ZFS: You should use mirror vdevs, not RAIDZ.

I was doing some research and I just figured this out, so thanks for confirming it. I assumed that RAIDZ1 could be done with two disks, but it looks like it's going to be mirroring for me.

I am using 3.0.94

I get the same error when trying to upload the plugin you linked. When I look at the ZFS plugin in the plugins list for OMV, I get another error that says "E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages", which I copied below. I also cannot delete my old file system, it just stays there after confirming deletion.

EDIT: I feel I should also mention that the server has an AMD processor, which I know for servers is generally not ideal but I was trying to repurpose my old gaming desktop. Not sure if the processor/motherboard could be causing any compatibility issues.

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --force-yes --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-zfs 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openmediavault-zfs : Depends: zfs-dkms but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: zfs-zed but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    <<< *************************************

So I switched the disks on the SATA ports, which broke OMV. I reinstalled OMV and I am still having the same issue.

I'm thinking maybe if I step down to OMV 3, this issue could be solved, as maybe my hardware just doesn't like something about OMV 4?

Also, I looked at the server monitor and it had a lot of errors on it:

UPDATE: Have Putty working now, at least.

UPDATE 2: Reinstalled OMV on my server with version 3.0.94 and I can now view the file system as it should be. I'm going to remove and recreate the file system just to make sure that it's working correctly, and then attempt to setup with ZFS.

UPDATE 3: Before recreating the new file system, I decided to setup a SMB share, which worked as expected.

UPDATE 4: Deleted shared folder, file system and RAID. Starting fresh and setting up a new RAID1, and then I need to figure out how to set up a ZFS file system. I tried installing the ZFS plugin before, but every method failed.

Correction: On freeNAS I was able to make a filesystem, but was getting "Uncorrectable parity/CRC" errors, after I had my RAID1, filesystem, and SMB share setup. It is only with OMV that I am unable to create a filesystem.

I'll try your suggestion about switching the SATA ports, and I'll try to figure out Putty as well. Thanks!

A quick wipe is fine. (Secure wipe is a way to erase the contents of the drive. Usually not necessary.)

It's not necessary to separate the drives for SMART. For data drives, SMART stat's are independent of the file system.

Deleted the RAID, quick wiped the drives, and attempted to set up each as their individual file system. File system creation still does not work, for either drive.

Actually didn't separate the drives before doing the SMART tests, so doing that now. I did a quick wipe before on both disks, is a secure wipe necessary since it takes so much longer?

I know some very basic command line stuff, but I'm comfortable with instructions.