Beiträge von ixaff

Installed Docker. Changed Docker base path in settings from none to a shared folder.
    This is what happened:

Error #0:

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; systemctl start 'docker' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status docker.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:175

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(86): OMV\System\Process->execute(Array, 1)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/systemctl.inc(146): OMV\System\SystemCtl->exec('start', NULL, false)
    #2 /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php(108): OMV\System\SystemCtl->start()
    #3 /usr/share/omvdocker/Utils.php(645): OMVModuleDockerUtil::startDockerService()
    #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/docker.inc(1205): OMVModuleDockerUtil::changeDockerSettings(Array, 42005, '/srv/0947acbb-f...')
    #5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDocker->setSettings(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setSettings', Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Docker', 'setSettings', Array, Array, 1)
    #9 {main}

It is a bad idea if your images/volumes/etc are stored on the usb stick but as gderf pointed out, you can change that location to a location that is not a usb stick which would mean it doesn't matter what OMV is installed on.

While I might vaguely understand the gist of what is being discussed, I do not however, have the know how to replicate the outcome. Hence, my request that maybe a guide could be made since I'm sure I won't be alone in finding one extremely helpful.

I was looking reading up on OMV + Docker when I chanced upon this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole point of this thread a discussion about how it might not be a good idea to run Docker and have it write to USB stick?

Docker is going to write in /var/lib/docker which is not protected by flashmemory (would use too much memory anyway). So, a usb stick is probably a bad idea and probably not big enough either.

Alright so...

- I install Virtualbox on my Windows desktop
    - Install OVM in VM environment onto my USB
    - Boot my NAS with the new OMV USB
    - Follow this sticky post for migrating to new motherboard
    - Done

Do I have it right?

Just to verify before I proceed, does this process leave behind a lot of junk code from the previous install thus impacting performance? Or would it be basically the same as a clean install?

I understand that there is an option of completing the install on a separate system before moving the boot device on my intended machine. However, IF at all possible, I would prefer to try to solve this issue and perform a clean install on my J3455-ITX unit directly.

Latest error:

"Failed to partition the selected disk. This probably happened because the selected disk or free space is too small to be automatically partitioned."

"No root file system is defined.Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

Found this thread <link> and tried the suggested solutions but could not get dd to work. Used diskpart instead. Still can't get the install to work.

Did more searching and came across a blog post of a solution to a similar error on Ubuntu <link> but I'm not sure how to execute since there does not seem to be a "try before install" option to the OMV installer.

Anyway, I managed to generate debug logs from the installer. But I have no idea what are the relevant bits and when I tried to paste it all it was too long to be posted successfully. Do I just copy/paste the parts that are flagged [DEBUG]?

-----

I read about the plugin but it will have to wait till I actually get things working.

What do you mean "... and must boot and work?"

Partitioning boot device is part of the install isn't it?

Two options, do the install on other motherboard and once work , move disk to your motherboard.or
    burn ISO in a CD and boot from a cd-Reader to do install, this last MUST work.

I came across something about saving the debug logs from the Debian installer. Was just about to try that since someone mentioned votdev mentioned those.

Anyway, so you're suggesting that I just do a USB install on a totally different machine then plug the completed usb installer into my new J3455 and just "repair" it? How does that work? Will it leave behind a lot of junk from the previous install thus impacting performance? Or would it be basically the same as a clean install?

With a CD install would I still be running from USB because that's what I intend.

This is my first attempt at building my own home server and I'm a complete novice at Linux, so please forgive me if I don't quite know the exact lingo to be using.

Anyway, I started off trying to install OMV 3.0.94 on my Asrock J3455-ITX motherboard. Followed the guides to create a bootable USB with UNetbootin and a copy of the OMV 3.0.94 ISO. Process took forever and ended up with an error stating "Failed to create file system".

Did some Googling and thought I might have better luck with the kernel on OMV 4.0 so I repeated the process creating a bootable USB with UNetbootin once again. This time the process was much smoother but still ended up with the same "Failed to create file system" error.

I tried using Win32 Disk Imager instead of Unetbootin, didn't work. I updated to the latest BIOS then tried fiddling with UEFI/CSM switching everything to Legacy only, that didn't work either. I tried running diskpart and "cleaning" my USB sticks, then attempted to use different ports, but it all ended in the same outcome.

Finally, I came across something about installing OMV over Debian Stretch and decided to give that a try. Created bootable USB with the debian-9.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso this time using Rufus in GPT. But strangely enough when I ran it, the debian install ALSO failed while partitioning disks because it could not mount a file system.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I had not expected this process to be quite so difficult. Really hope someone here can help.