Beiträge von kapusta

Click "create" to create a new filesystem. Then a new window opens where you can select the HDD to create the new filesystem.If you cannot select a HDD there is probably no space left on any drive to add an additional file system.

That is exactly what I was looking for!! The HDD is now using ext4 and mounted.

Many thanks.

Thank you for the response.

Are there versions of those videos that are not gifs? I had tried to watch them before posting here, but they are incomprehensible to me: No sound/narration/explanation, they move extremely fast, and I can't pause them or repeat a section to see what they are doing.

Regarding using the GUI as you indicate: How do I do any of that if the HDD is not showing up in the "file systems" tab?

Thanks

First, I am very new to this, so I will need things explained like I am an idiot.

I am trying to set up a RPi3 with a 1TB usb HDD with OMV.

Initially, the HDD I used was using a NTFS file system (this I know) in a single partition (I think).

I hooked the HDD up, but did NOT wipe it. It showed up under "File Systems", and I was able to mount it, create a shared folder, give users access to the folder. However, I could not map the NAS drive from my computer.

In researching an answer to this, I came to realize that OMV does not like NTFS, and that I should use ext4 file system.

So, I figured I should WIPE the HDD in OMV and start over.
    Under "Physical Disks", I wiped it using the "quick" option. The HDD is empty, so assume that "quick" is OK. When I do that, the "wiping" dialogue box says this:

>Creating new GPT entries.
    >GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or
    >other utilities.
    >1+0 records in
    >1+0 records out
    >4194304 bytes (4.2 MB) copied, 0.0380216 s, 110 MB/s

>
    >Done ...

When I go to "File Systems", the HDD is not shown there, so I cannot mount it.

MY QUESTIONS:

1) I am getting that I need to partition the disc, but how many partitions should I use? One I assume?
    2) is there a way to do this in OMV?
    3) How do I then format it with ext4? Is that something that OMV will do?

I studied about 5 different on-line instructions on how to set up OMV on a RPi3, and every one was different. Some had me wipe the HDD, some did not. So I am a little confused about that part.

The OS is this one: OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img

Thanks for any help on this!