Beiträge von mopedfahrer

Hi,

as I mentioned already, Linux is not really my world...

But of course OMV is worth to work with Linux a bit more in details.

Nevertheless, it is not easy to get info about that "burnCortexA9". It is part of "cpuburn", but "cpuburn" does not belong to the normal packages. So where can i find it?

Next problem, I found cpuburn at github as program code for several Arm-Cores.

There is cpuburn-A9 and cpuburn-A53 available. Of course it has to be compiled first, next problem.

But I got it. Executing cpuburn-A9 starts all 4 A9-cores, while cpuburn-A53 starts all 8 cores (4*A9, 4*A53) of the Exynos5422 .

The script mentioned by dleidert has then to be adapted to 8 cores and (so far) unknown burnCortexA9, which I did not find

Is it possible to get that easier?

So, next turn.

It is really not nice to hide the features. Since I have 3 partitions at OMV sd-card, Boot,System and unused or empty), I was confused using win32imager, since it accepted only one partition...

The "hidden" feature is, don't trust that at all, select one partition and get images of all three partitions, as it should.

Perhaps there is space for future versions...

So far I have tested the USBimager and I found also a tool called USB-image tool , which looks also good, but not yet testednow, when the win32imager is back in the game.

Now proceeding with the main problem, the sporadic shutdown of my Odroid XU4...

Thanks to all, who have participated here, Mopedfahrer/Kawa-ZRX1100

Same problem with me. I have to agree with atwk20. I am using SanDisk in Odroid and tried to restore to Samsung, which has no been accepted. But win32imager is also accepting *.dd files to be written; but is also mocking about the different size (both are 32GB)

Thanks for the script.

burnCortexA9 is part of package "cpuburn" ...

For interest, I shall check that, as soon as my new XU4 is substituting my old XU4 in the NAS.

For that, the second part of the usbimager will be tested by restoring the dd-image

Hi,

dleidert, mi-hol, it is quite interesting to read your comments.

Let me still refer to my picture at top of the thread. Unfortunately the armbian monitoring is not included, but the "htop"-output is there. It shows (in the background of the error-messages), that the big-cores are all at zero, the little-cores are at zero, except one with 2.6% load. Also there is a value

"load average" with 0.33 0.17 0.15. Since the xu4 is only used for NAS, and shutdown happend in the morning, there was no reason to overheat.

Mechanically there have been no changes and an external Desktop-Fan is blowing additionally to the SoC-mounted fan.

What I also assume is, that I know from the shutdown messages, that thermal zones 0 and 1 are describing the faulty sensors, is't it ? If I understand correct, zone 0 and 1 describe the big-little cores...

(see appendix from kernel coders)[PATCH] ARM_ dts_ exynos_ Exynos5422 Odroid-XU_ incomplete thermal-zones definition.pdf

(but let's say, I do not really understand the kernel path discussion)

Goal for me is, to have a working controller for my NAS, not shutting down every 1 to 2 days.

The workaround to just disable the thermal zone sensors

echo disabled > /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone1/mode

and use the last hints of mi-hol, to manually adjust the internal fan (and using additionally external fan) seems to be a good solution.

Mechanically it could be even better to remove the internal fan and using passive cooling block with external fan (like XU4q); I do not trust that little fan in long term usage...

dleidert : as you said yourself, your hints about the sensor reading where not really usable, but I have tried...

Thank you for all your time so far, Pollin sent a message, that my workaround is on the road...

Hello dleidert , thank you for your comments.

Problem is, that I am not a Linux guy. If I have a problem, I am looking around.

Seems, that you don't know the odroid-forum?

It is the official Hardkernel forum, when you look at the hardkernel site .

The sensors, which are in trouble can be seen in the picture I appended at top. Zone 0 and 1.

Temperature 115 degree is alarmed even if load is near 0, as in the picture...

So I can now follow commands, which somebody (you) has published in a forum, to dig in to the problem.

Neverless I will do that, to understand a bit more of Linux.

But as a workaround I have also ordered a new XU4

Hello macom,

the hints with Hardkernel/Odroid - forum was probably the most valuable one.

It seems to be a HW-failure of sensors in the SoC.

In one thread of the forum I found the following :

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=33676

where a workaroung is mentioned

With thanks to "rooted"

Re: ODROID Xu4 Suddenly Heats up and Shuts Down

Post by rooted » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:54 am

You can do this:

Code
    echo 60000 | sudo tee /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/emul_temp

Thermal will not work correctly but as it isn't already at least it will let your device function.

macom, the reading is just running (lats about 3 hours with usb2). At least there was the whole sd-card as one device recognized, and not 3 partitions.

Somehow I have in my mind, that win32imager was same, because I have used it earlier, but not anymore.

Want to restore it on an other sd-card for test because of the shutdowns...

Ok same evening it happend again...

And same situation:

syslogd-message - "kernel:[277332.279851] thermal thermal_zone1: critical temperature reached (115 C), shutting down"

while "armbian-setup->monitoring" shows same time:

Time big.LITTLE load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq CPU C.St.

22:55:27: 600/ 600MHz 0.15 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 56.0°C 0/3

Anybody who has an idea? Be welcome...

Hello

macom and mi-hol, thank you very much for hints, which I shall follow, of course.

But the reason, why the backup issue came up, is the "sporadic shutdown" of my Odroid.

With remove and new install of folder2ram I had no shutdown during last 3 days, but yesterday evening it was shutting down again.

I have to check that issue first...

(and come back here...)

Hello,

have to go deaper in to image-backup; sounds quite good. Meanwhile have managed also a copy, using the "dd"-command.

Found also PC-Freeware1.10, called "HDDRawCopy (install+portable) which I want also to evaluate. Just to get the easiest possibility

Hello mi-hol,

thanks for response.

Sorry for my unclear question.

Both, a copy of unplugged system sd-card, as well as sd-card in running system is suitable.

I was wondering, why win32-imager does not accept sd-card for cloning, instead is waiting for partitions.

And I have 3 on sd-card (boot, system and perhaps empty partition ?)...

I shall check your solution after sleeping...

Hello, after reading several threads, still my understanding is in trouble.

I am trying to use win32image, but it will accept only one partion for copy.

My SD-card looks like following, showing three partions...

mmcblk1 179:0 0 29.8G 0 disk

├─mmcblk1p1 179:1 0 64M 0 part /boot

├─mmcblk1p2 179:2 0 7.3G 0 part /

└─mmcblk1p3 179:3 0 22.1G 0 part

Does anybody know how to proceed...

Brgds. mopedfahrer

hello,

since some weeks my installation shows sporadically shutdown (every 1 to 3 days).

Of course it was running already since several years without problems, being upgraded up to V5

While leaving a terminal window open, it shows kernel warnings about "critical temperature".

But in a second open window, running "htop" it seems obvious, that cpu temperature is normal

For first reaction, having read other threads, i have removed the flash-to-ram-plugin

(odroid xu4/mSDHC). Does anybody have experience about this behavour?

brds, mopedfahrer

Hello macom,

I had an open terminal window over night, and there were several kernel warning messages before shutdown; 115 degrees C.

Try to check now, why there was so high temperature...

My Odroid XU4 is just in it's normal plastic case and not yet in the USB box and a small desk fan, connected to one USB port of the Odroid is blowing fresh air; "flying installation", but backups are available;)

Nee, alles Gute kommt von den Eltern->Vererbung, ansonsten 2 x Mittelohrentzündung und zu viel Disko...

To the topic:
    Fourth point:
    - checking the client, deinstallation of the May Microsoft patches did not give any effort
    - then suddenly a flash, back to the hardware:
    - fixing adapter network speed to 1gbit, no effort
    - changing the port at the switch, that's it!

Laughing is allowed, please don't mob...
    There have been several unknown variables, like Debian update, Microsoft update, changing system HD in parallel
    and
    finally it's an unstable switch port.

Sorry to have bothered you...

Brgds, mopedfahrer

Thank you for that fast responses...
    My efforts so far:
    - first, I have learned a new command: armbianmonitor, very useful
    - second, I have checked the Temperature problem. What can I say: the Fan is broken; even if it is quit loud, it was not loud enough for my bad ears
    - third, after some more playing around, it seems to be more a problem of my main Win7 client, because other clients are working with normal performance... To be solved in near future... Anfortunately the timescale of updates (python-samba) was very nice fitting to the performance loss.

Since over 2 years I am using the XU4 without major problems, and no, I do not use a Cloudshell, but also an USB3-driven solution: https://www.pearl.de/a-PX2590-1162.shtml?query=xystec .

Brds, mopedfahrer