Beiträge von PangPinne

I have been trying to get rsync to work on my end (OMW) and my families end (QNAP) without any success (different locations).
    Out networks are joined through a VPN tunnel. OMW can reach the QNAP shares and vice versa.

However, when trying to setup rsync to backup some of my data to QNAP and some of my families data to OMW, we are stuck.

When I run the job on OMW I get the following errors back:
    Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-Red/Backup/> to <rsync://username@qnap-remote:873/RM_Backup_Omw> ...

@ERROR: auth failed on module RM_Backup_Omw
    rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1666) [sender=3.1.2]

And when I try testing the connection from QNAP it fails with a generic error of checking password, port etc (which we have checked are correct on both ends).
    If I SSH into the QNAP and try a similar command:
    rsync [options] '/share/MD1_DATA/Backup/' 'rsync://username@omv-remote:873/RM_Backup_Qnap'

I just get Segmentation fault error.

What I'm I doing wrong?

You have them but since you don't read the replies to your questions it's useless to continue. Again: Home NAS build, FS info (last paragraph!)
    Every time I see someone using RAID-1 in 2018 I feel sad. It's soooooo anachronistic and provides almost no protection.

Edit: apologies! Just realized that the last link in my old post was broken. Corrected it in the post and here: https://blog.a2o.si/2014/09/07…aid-10-instead-of-raid-1/

My knowledge about raid and linux is limited (still learning and want to learn).
    But isn't RAID 10 with two disks (1 partition each) RAID 0? If one disk fails, all the data is lost? Or i'm I missing something here how RAID 10 works?
    The Web GUI says 4 disk minimum when trying to create a RAID 10 device.

Yes, you are right: Write Cache on the HDDs.
    From the manual:

Power Options
    Pressing the edit button with a selected disk will give the following options available to set:

• Advanced power management (APM)
    • Automatic accoustic management (Not all drives support this)
    • Spindown time (ST)
    • Write cache

Thank you, just activating Write Cache showed no change. But tweaking the values of vm.dirty_ratio and vm.dirty_background_ratio gave improvements!

Default values were:

• vm.dirty_ratio = 20
    • vm.dirty_background_ratio = 1

I tried different values until I found these worked pretty well:

• vm.dirty_ratio = 10
    • vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5

Left is new values and Right is default values

Will continue to experiment later, and reply with an update if more improvements are made.

IMO a really bad idea (reasons). Anyway: you need to test your storage locally first to see whether storage performance is ok or not.
    Drops when writing through the network can be due to the kernel's filesystem buffers filling up (now network transfer speeds only been limited by Gigabit Ethernet) and once they need to be flushed to disk the performance drops down to storage performance.

Personally I use iozone to test for storage performance (in the upper right corner is a search function). Others use dd for the same purpose.

What do you recommend instead of RAID1? I don't have the disks for RAID10 (If I understand it correctly, minimum is 4?) and is ZFS snapshots possible through OVM (I will have to read more about it too)?
    Maybe something like @Adoby mentioned? Daily rsync to the other disk?
    I tried iozone, but running the command sudo apt install iozone3 returns E: Unable to locate package iozone3. What have I missed?

"write back activated on your disks" - do you mean Write Cache?
    Where can I change these values? Do I need to restart the machine each time or are the changes detected and used immediately?

Hi,

I recently installed OMV (4.1.9) on an older gaming PC to try it out and experiment.

I have configured two 8TB WD RED disks (WD80EFZX-68U) as a raid 1. But I've noticed that the write speed drops to a very low speed and resumes again with large files. I am currently testing with very large files, 40GB
    https://streamable.com/0man6

What is causing the drop? Read speed is unaffected from what I can see.

Hardware
    CPU: Intel i7-5930K
    RAM: 16GB