Beiträge von Agricola

@crashtest Thanks for the information, especially the order and explanation of the commands.

Regarding not being able to unmount the failed destination drive, I knew it was a reference issue but I “knew” nothing was referenced to it. Finally I picked up a stray comment somewhere about SnapRAID rules. Sure enough I had set to exclude the AppData folder on the SnapRAID Data disk but had mistakenly written the Rsync Destination disk into the rule. The first sync I did showed a bunch of AppData lines in the output. I should have suspected something from the git-go, but I didn’t have the experience to know what it meant.

@jollyrogr At post 552 of this thread @crashtest stated a two-disk SnapRAID was possible, so I tried it. Here was my thinking:

• I want bit rot protection.
    • I only have three 8TB disks.
    • I’m not currently running close on space plus I didn’t want (or need) UnionFS to complicate the process.
    • I don’t want to forfeit my full-disk mirror via Rsync.

Why bother using parity when you only have 1 data disk? Do you plan to add more disks in the future?

The SnapRAID is to protect against data corruption and the Rsync is for a true backup. I have 8TB disks and they are running at about 23% capacity. I will probably add disks some day.

I’m sorry. I guess I tried to cram too much in one post. Edit: Looking at what’s below, I’m afraid I’m about to do it again.

I’m using three SATA disks but only two are in SnapRAID: one Data and the other Parity, both Content. Both of those are physically okay and SnapRAID appeared to run fine the two times I ran sync and scrub about a week ago. The third disk is a mirrored backup of the Data drive just mentioned, via Rsync, per your guide on p. 64. It is not part of the SnapRAID array.

The third disk, about a week ago showed up with bad sectors so today I am going to swap it out for a new disk that just arrived and Rysync it from the first drive. All is well up to this point. No data is really in jeopardy. I even have a remote backup on another machine.

When I unmourned the bad mirrored disk, it wouldn’t unmount. I discovered that I had inadvertently created a SnapRAID rule pointing to that disk.

What I am wondering about is how to start sync, scrub, etc. and what to expect from error output and what to do with it. I have corrected the exclusion rule (AppData) to point to the Data disk.

Combine that with the fact that I have been adding, deleting, renaming, moving tons of photo files in my Data disk since I last ran a sync.

Despite tons of reading up, both at SnapRAID and on this forum, I’m not sure of the steps to begin again sync, scrub, fix, etc.

The only reason I could come up with for using 2 disk SNAPRAID, would be for bit rot protection. Also SNAPRAID, and a simple filesystem like EXT4, will work reasonably well with USB connected drives.

(Setting bit rot protection aside, which is a big deal in itself, creating a simple mirror with Rsync provides roughly the same benefits.)

I have set up just this kind of backup strategy:

• one mirrored backup using Rsync.
    • two disks set up in SnapRAID, one of them data, and the other parity. Both of them content.

It seemed logical to me, as I can easily fit what I am currently doing on one 8TB disk.
    Everything worked well. I have an automatic scheduled Rsync twice a week on the mirrored backup, and I have run SnapRAID sync once, and everything went well, except for two details (maybe three) so I am looking for some advice/clarification before I proceed into the unknown.

• My SMART notified me that my Rsync mirror had bad sectors. In the process of unreferencing/unmounting the disk for replacement I discovered that...
    • I had inadvertently created an exclude rule (AppData) referencing the Rsync mirror disk instead of the SnapRAID Data disk.
    • I have been adding a great number of photos to my data disk, as well as deleting duplicates. Since the bad sectors showed up I stopped the Rsync (waiting on a replacement disk), and I have stopped anything SnapRAID. Even though I have a full backup on a second machine, I want to wait to do anything until I get the new mirror backup disk installed and backed up.

My main question is how do I reset everything to that initial SnapRAID sync? Is that necessary? Is it possible? Without shedding blood? I would like a little nudge as to the right way to proceed. Thanks.

PhotoPrism has a docker here, but it is for AMD64 only. It is still in development so who knows what the final product will be. What I installed about a month ago was crisp and clean in look but quite basic in function.
    Plex is what I am currently using until something better comes along.

You can write your own local custom html/CSS to create the ultimate start page.

I used to do that. Wonderful! Well, CSS didn't exist yet. I set it up as the start page for my Netscape install. Alta-Vista. FUNET FTP. The sound of dial-up modem connection. Those were the times...

Yes, I did too, back when I was building websites with WordPress when it was still very new and setup was not so much plug and play as it is now. Lots of fun, but lots of trial and error getting the padding, etc. just right - for me anyway.