Beiträge von eddienghs

use DNS1 variable and DNS2 variable is the same that use --dns= in extra arguments, the only diference is that variable way works for me and extra arguments no, so , do what you want.

Just tried again with variables DNS1 and DNS2:

But getting the same warning messages as per what I have mentioned before:

While leaving all other settings the same as the How-to:

Do you have any idea about what is going wrong?

Thanks.

The resolv.conf is dynamically generated so you can't edit it, there must be something else within your networking. I think that the .11 is dockers dns but I couldn't be sure.

Thanks for the info... that's why I really couldn't locate it. The worst thing is that in the official Pi-hole readme, it just mentioned about this "Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf" warning may appear but never explain what will go wrong. I will just leave it if Pi-hole can function 100% as normal with this warning.

I am a networking guy and just new to OMV, hopefully can learn more from the folks here.

Thanks.

Ok, I don't have many devices but leaving the defaults are usually a better option, but it's a long time since I've messed around with subnets. If your setting is /27 for the Macvlan I take it your subnet mask in your dhcp is 255.255.255.224

Yes, correct, the subnet mask in my subnet is 255.255.255.224. I just wonder how the logs found "127.0.0.11" as I am pretty sure I didn't configure it anywhere in my OMV...

There's one error that jumps out Macvlan subnet setting 192.168.224.0/27 that should be 192.168.224.0/24

Hi geaves,

No, the size of my local subnet is intentionally decreased to match with my needs (as I don't have so many devices at home and so I limit the size of my LAN to /27). Therefore, the usable IP address on the LAN is 192.168.224.1-192.168.224.30, /27 is definitely a correct setting (same as what is defined in my router).

Thanks.

Hi raulfg3,

It seems to me that the DNS1 and DNS2 in your screen capture are just "Environment variables" which are classified as optional from the official Pi-hole docker readme, and they are also not specified in the How-to guide and so I decided to skip them. Nevertheless, I also tried to put them but still getting the same error.

The --dns=127.0.0.1 that we have been discussing is in the "Extra arguments" section which is classified as a recommended settings according to the official Pi-hole docker readme, or a warning of "Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf" may appear.

Thanks.

My sincere apologies... I just tried following the guide once again on a real hardware and everything works fine... It should really be the problem with VMWare (I setup an OMV in a VMWare Server for Windows to test out packages before really installing them on the real hardware, and it has been working fine until this pi-hole docker).

Now everything is working as expected except I have got a warning message of "Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf" (according to the docker readme, this should only be appeared if the --dns=127.0.0.1 has not been set). I have tried both ways of completely following the guide without --dns=127.0.0.1 and also tried adding --dns=127.0.0.1 but both giving exactly the same warnings as follows:

I have zero idea about 127.0.0.11 that I haven't inputted it anywhere in my OMV.

I am trying to attached two more screenshots to show how I follow the guide to setup pi-hole:

Now I just want to make sure whether it is normal to have the "Misconfigured DNS in /etc/resolv.conf" warnings in Pi-hole's logs?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks a lot, I will try it again later.

I managed to setup Pi-hole in a docker container by following this guide:
    [How To] Install Pi-Hole in Docker: Update 01/18/19 - Adding Unbound, a Recursive DNS Server.

However, from the Pi-hole docker hub, it seems that the configuration on the latest version has changed a bit (e.g. --cap-add=NET_ADMIN and --dns=127.0.0.1 are changed from optional to strongly encouraged or warnings might appear). I still managed to set it up by following exactly the same steps in the guide , but it is giving error on clicking the "Settings" menu in the ph-hole admin page:
    PHP error (2): parse_ini_file(/etc/pihole/setupVars.conf): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/admin/settings.php:11

Moreover, the WEBPASSWORD setup according to the above guide didn't work at all now (I can browse the admin page directly without any password)...

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks a lot!