Beiträge von kirkdis

Yes and No, it´s a fun project but for productive use. I had for long time a single bay synology but since the drive died a few years ago I didn´t use it anymore for storing files on long term as everything was in the nirvana at that time. I looked into a 3-bay or more NAS with redundancy and realized that it starts at a high price point and entry level NAS are restricted to a manufacturer and their support in terms of firmwares or OS builds. On the other hand you can get nowadays good and convenient solutions but these are mostly based on x86 which consume a lot of energy.

So this year the nanopi M4 with the sata hat came out and I wanted to give it a try. I only realized one pain point and this is the missing case hosting the nanopi + extention board and the drives.

I also looked for a low consumption NAS so I decided to go with this setup and OMV4.

I want to support this setup and especially the OMV + nanopi M4 by adding herewith the design for a simple and easy to build case.

There´s no challenge...the OMV image is available for the nanopi M4 as well as the aditional modules and drives and now finally I´ll provide a compact case to host everything safely. That´s it.

I wanted to share my build with you guys.

It´s a 3D printed case which cleans the setup and gives a little bit more safety to the drives and nanopi m4 board.

find more information on my website www.scheisser.net

and the model files at thingiverse.com

while drives sleep it consumes around 7W and under heavy load max up to 20W

If you have questions feel free to ask... or check above links

PS: sorry for the tape it covers broken parts which happenend while cleaning the prototype cover from supports. (was a quick and dirty print to proof the concept but works)

Externer Inhalt
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Ok have to edit my values:

bought a Meanwell high efficiency power supply and 2 brand new energy meters to really get correct values. It seems my old energy meter is scrap.

When the drives are in idle and not spinning I see consumptions around 6W

with spinning drives it goes up to 13W
    and under heavy load it is reaching the 20W.

So I tested this with an voltcraft energy logger 4000 and a voltcraft SEM6000. Both show similar results.

With these results the total energy costs per year (in idle) will be below 15€ which is awesome.

There is more than 40MB/s possible with the hat. I´m testing at the moment with my setup and I can see higher transfer rates as reported here. I see write speeds in raid 5 even with slow drives around 60MB/s and higher when directly connected to a pc via crosslink ethernet.

I realized speed drops and lags when the heatsink of the sata hat is getting hot. Workaround a tiny fan for the heatsink as long as the NAS is not in a case with active cooling.

Hi,

Tried your commands and at

Code
    root@nanopim4:~# nmcli device
    DEVICE  TYPE      STATE        CONNECTION
    eth0    ethernet  connected    eth0
    wlan0   wifi      unavailable  --
    lo      loopback  unmanaged    --

wlan0 is listet as not available. how can I activate the wifi device?

Just made some tests with my setup:

nanopi M4 with Sata hat
    3x Seagate ST4000LM024 (2.5" drives)
    one is still hanging on the USB Port but doesn´t matter for the consumption test

Used my old Synology 12VDC 4.15A Power supply which is not the most energy efficient and takes already without consumers 6W!!! so expect better results with an energy efficient power supply.

• system without drives takes 12-15W
    • system with the 3 drives attached takes 20W in idle (under load 22W)
    • Under load while initializing the Raid5 consumption increases up to 31W