Posts by auanasgheps

My 0.02$

I don't know about FreeNAS jails but transferring your existing Nextcloud config to docker might require some tinkering.

Usually Nextcloud on docker is made up by two containers:

• The DB, usually MariaDB
    • The Nextcloud front end.

You can actually import MySQL dumps into a container, so I wish you good luck in attempting this😀

Regarding the SSL paranoia, use thelet'sencrypt + nginx image made by linuxserver It is great: will manage your SSL renewals, out of the box has a very good SSL config (not perfect but close) and most importantly comes with a huge list of presets to reverse proxy popular applications, including Nextcloud which is itself a beast.

Why would you roll back an installation when you could just write one small command in a shell via SSH as I did to fix the issue? In my scenario I have mission critical data being served up to a GPU compute cluster running finite element models for extended periods of time. In these types of applications the machine should never go down, ever!! IMO backups should only ever be used in an unrecoverable catastrophic event such as hardware failure.

Well, I use my system as a normal NAS, and if I really break something I prefer to rollback the previous config. I already done this and only takes few minutes.

No.

I was going to test last night’s backup today and a thunderstorm came through and knocked our power out. At least I got a chance to test my UPS plugin:

When I installed my new UPS and the UPS plugin, I tested it by pulling the power from the UPS mains eheh 🤣

Since we're talking about backup plugin, is there a way to save the backup on a shared folder as I do already (it's another SSD) and also save it to a cloud like Google Drive? I know I can use rclone and save the backup directly on the mounted cloud drive, but I also would like to retain a local copy in case internet goes down.

Zero problems with Docker either on OMV4 and 5, omv-update regularly updates Docker on my system without issues. I only had issues at the very beginning with permissions with the docker installation folder, but it's another story.

In your scenario I would have rolled back my system to the previous day backup (use the backup plugin) and try again.

Seems to be that OMV can't handle NTFS right!

It can.

My USB backup drive is formatted in NTFS so in case of disasters I can read it from my PC.

I am using the backup plugin which automates everything, and it works perfectly.

towards reliability I cant comment on because the sheer slowness of it stopped the further use of it on my side

Exactly this. I have experienced both reliability and speed issues. And database corruptions evert 2 / 3 runs. Ridiculous.

Wow, Rclone looks awesome!!!. I've seen what I could do with PowerShell and FreeFileSync recently. I think Rclone would make a great alternative to FreeFileSync also.

I was using FreeFileSync for a while and worked really well, but I used for different things. I think Rclone's plus is having a lot of flexibility. They're also developing a webGUI.

I'm sure Duplicati works fine for many users. But I have the feeling that it's not optimal for large datasets.

I faced issues as soon as I reached 300GB.

Joseph, thanks for Restic, I didn't know about it and I will look into it!

question #2 is I'll have a 128gb NVME not really doing anything and I don't need it for any storage. I've never found a good answer if there was a simple way to set up some kind of cache drive. The OS is and data drives are ext4. I'm not changing anything with the data/parity drives (they'll remain ext4). I've heard of bcache and ZFS but I'm not sure how that works and Don't know if any of that helps me with ext4 drives.

If you use applications on your NAS, install Docker containers on this drive. They are super fast compared to running them on HDD.

The speed of (my) NVMe is also great when I have to extract downloads that are compressed.

I have a similar issue/need, which I only noticed yesterday when a black-out occurred.

I am using the nut plugin as you do and wakealarm to regularly wake up the server (I turn It off every night, then turn it on in the morning).

When a safe shutdown occurs, the wakealarm plugin does not wake the system at the next schedule, but I think I'll have to open another thread.

Does your UPS power cycle when the electricity is back? My APC Back-UPS does. If it's the same for you, just go to the BIOS and enable an option called "Turn the system on when power is restored" or something similar.

EDIT: I didn't fully read your post, you already enabled this option. Well, you don't have to worry about this. The system will safely shut down via the NUT plugin, and the UPS will keep providing energy, so the system won't do anything until the UPS restarts. In this case the server will detect energy was gone, but only because the UPS restarted, interrupting energy for a second or so.

I am only using one LAN port, but I can see the other one is been recognized, so should work fine.

I have disabled Wi-Fi from the BIOS to save power since I don't use it at all, but I don't see why it should be incompatible.

I endorse the Docker approach, not only because I like it, but because I believe any webservice or user app (like Plex, Syncthing and so on) should be independent by the OS it's running on and Docker is exactly this.

Nevertheless I still use a LOT of plugins which I think will never go away because they're all system related: snapraid, unionfs, backup, wakealarm, flashmemory and so on.

When I finished my OMV system, I realized how much ryecoaaron 's work I used so I sent him a small donation.

He has made OMV a lot better not only with plugins but with a lot of comments in this forum.

All of this is done in his spare time, so... please stop complaining there are no Plex and Transmission plugins, in the same time you* would have learned Docker. I understand Docker is hard for beginners, but there are a lot of great written and video tutorials out there. Everyone can learn it since I taught it to friends who don't have Linux or Sysadmin experience and are only tech users. If you* don't want to learn, then maybe a DIY NAS is not the right choice for you.

(you = not referring to anyone in particular, but everyone who complained)

openmediavault-plexmediaserver - I hate this plugin. It was just a start/stop plugin with a button to the web interface and an option to move the database (which always had problems). Originally, I had to build these packages and put them in the repo. Just too much time. Better in a docker (even if hardware transcoding is a pain).

Works great when using Intel iGPUs :)

The Ryzen 5 should do the job.

h264 is quite manageable, but h265 is pretty heavy. Audio transcoding is almost free on resources.

Alternatively you could save some money buying a cheaper CPU and buy a lifetime Plex Pass which allows for HW Transcoding.

If all you're going to do is one video transcoding at time, probably Intel will be fine too, but you might still want to go with AMD for the extra cores.

OMV non modifica nulla, è una distribuzione basata su Debian :)

La strategia che consiglio io è la seguente:

Crea un utente per i container docker che puoi chiamare come vuoi (io lo schiamo srv.docker) e mettilo nel gruppo dei tuoi utenti (quello predefinito è users).

Crea queste cartelle:

• Una cartella dedicata all'installazione di docker, alla quale non accederai di fatto mai
    • Una cartella dedicata ai container; all'interno di essa creane una per ogni container dove verranno conservati log e configurazioni. Questa è una cartella a cui potresti accedere ogni tanto. Dovrà essere accessibile con diritti completi dal gruppo users, per fare in modo che il tuo utente e docker ci possano accedere.
    • Tutte le cartelle che vuoi per i tuoi dati, alle quali molto probabilmente i tuoi container dovranno attingere per leggere la tua libreria multimediale o scrivere i download. Dovrà essere accessibile con diritti completi dal gruppo users, per fare in modo che il tuo utente e docker ci possano accedere.

Quando crei un container, controlla nella documentazione come configurarlo per girare come un utente (srv.docker) che fa parte del gruppo users. Ti ricordo che se non lo specifichi, il container viene eseguito come root, che è sia un problema di sicurezza che di permessi (dei quali ti stai lamentando).

Se farai tutto correttamente, potrai interagire correttamente con i container.

Ad esempio JDownloader/Transmission scaricheranno un file nella tua cartella di download, e dal tuo PC con il tuo utente potrai modificarlo, spostarlo, eliminarlo, perché farai parte dello stesso gruppo dell'utente che ha creato quel file.

Al contrario, se sposterai un file nella cartella di Handbrake, il container potrà vedere il video da convertire.