Beiträge von salgem

Hi,

I’m currently running OMV 5.6.21-2 (Usul) on a Raspberry PI4 (“OLD SYSTEM”) and I want to migrate to OMV 6 on a AMD64 System (“NEW SYSTEM”).

I’m looking for some tips and tricks.

Current Status

I have freshly installed OMV 6 on the NEW SYSTEM. Since the OLD SYSTEM is still running, I can make a direct comparison between both systems. I have manually replicated all the settings of the OLD SYSTEM that I can make in the NEW SYSTEM’s web UI without connecting the data drives. Attaching the data drives to the NEW SYSTEM would be the next step.

I’ve made backups of the data drives.

Currently, the data drives are still attached via USB to the OLD SYSTEM (not in RAID). I want to attach the drives as they are via USB to the NEW SYSTEM (there is only one SATA connector in the NEW SYSTEM, which is used by the system drive).

Best way of comparing settings OLD <-> NEW?

I copied /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to my Windows machine, which I plan to use as a reference but it is not an easy read. I created quite a number of shared folders that I’d like to replicate on my NEW SYSTEM. The same applies to SMB/CIFS and NFS. This might be a stupid question but what happens if I dismount the data drives and connect/mount them to the NEW SYSTEM: will I still be able to see shared folders, SMB/CIFS and NFS settings in the OLD SYSTEM’s web UI? This would make the task of manually replicating settings easier.

Users and permissions

I added the same users and groups to the NEW SYSTEM and made sure that the UIDs and GIDs are identical to OLD SYSTEM. I also entered the same passwords. My hope is that this might help avoiding issues with permission once I connect the data drives to the NEW SYSTEM. Or are problems with permissions unavoidable. And if so, are there any tips and tricks?

I even added the user pi(1000) [groups= 100(users), 4(adm), 20(dialout), 24(cdrom), 27(sudo), …, pi(1000), ...] to the NEW SYSTEM, basically because I’m so used to ssh in as pi.

Docker

I’m using docker on the OLD SYSTEM and I’m planning to migrate them to the NEW SYSTEM. ‘Docker Storage’ is on one of the data drives. I have a copy of the ‘docker cli’ that I used in terminal to set-up the containers, which I could reply on the NEW SYSTEM (or use ‘docker-compose’, which looks similar to me but haven’t used it yet). In any event, since I’m migrating from a ARM to an AMD64 system, should I delete something in the ‘Docker Storage’ (I see the following directories: builder, buildkit, containers, image, network, overlay2, plugins, runtimes, swarm, tmp, trust, volumes)?

The ‘config files’ of the containers are on the same data drive but in a directory outside of ‘Docker Storage’.

Is there anything else I should worry about or take care off before connecting the data drives to the NEW SYSTEM.

Sorry for the rather long post.

Best

M

For some reasons I still do not fully understand, my OMV set-up neither could be reached over LAN nor was booting properly.

I therefore ...

• connected the SDD with the backups to a laptop running Ubuntu,
    • downloaded the newest version of etcher (since I was on an Ubuntu machine, I used Linux 64Bit appimage),
    • flashed the latest full backup (ddfull) to my spare sd card,
    • removed the power cable from my pi,
    • swapped the sd card with the one with the newly flashed backup,
    • powered up the pi and volia: everything is back to normal!!!

I'm not sure why etcher now worked flawlessly compared to my dry-run in April 2020. Last try, I was using etcher on a Windows PC and now on Ubuntu. Not sure whether that was the reason. Anyways, usbimager is available on various systems (Windows, Linux, etc.).

Many many thanks for the backup plugin: it definitely saved my say.

Best Markus

You don't have 5.4 installed. You have 5.2.6 installed as the output shows. The plugin list just shows the version you can install.

Thanks, but I do not quite follow you.

I cannot install 5.4 as the install button is greyed-out. only the uninstall button is visible:

I went to OMV | OMV-Extras | Settings and to the Updates tab and tried 1) update , and 2) apt clean and then update. After 1) and 2) I then went to OMV | OMV-Extras | Settings. On the Portainer tab I clicked on install with no effect. I get the same output that 5.2.6 is installed.

M

Hi,

I have omv-extras 5.4 installed but I still cannot update Portainer from 1.24.1 to 2.0.0.

In OMV, in Plugins I checked which version of OMV-Extra is installed. It reads "5.4".

In OMV | OMV-Extras | Docker, I clicked on Portainer | Install. Output:

Then, I'm reconnecting to the Portainer web ui. It still reads 1.24.1 "An new version is available"

I don't understand why the version no. of OMV-Extras reads 2.4 in OMV | Plugins but in the output it reads

Code
    extras :: 5.2.6

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Markus

I'm not good at being overly verbose

... no, actually the problem was my stupidity: the timestamps of the files were clearly different, a clear indication that these files were different backups.

With that said, I ordered the exact same SD card. Shipping took some time but I can now test whether it is possible to restore the full-disk backup to a new SD card. The outcome:

- I cannot restore the backup with etcher (failed three times)

- (I haven't tested w32 diskimager)

- I manged to restore the backup with usbimager on the first try. Can boot from the restored SD card without any problems any everything looks fine

(formated the SD card with SD Card Formater between each try).

I don't know why I could not restore the backup with Etcher. The error message was not really revealing ("failed device / write error"). No idea what the problem was.

I can write a guide if this is helpful.

M

Which file would I have to select to write the full disk image to an SD card in Etcher?

Selecting backup-omv_boot-31-Mar-2020_15-31-48.dd.gz would write the boot partition to the drive, and
    selecting backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.ddfull.gz would write the root partition,

But I cannot write both partitions to an SD card, correct? Do I have to put all these files in one container (zip?)?

I'm a bit confused. would it be possible to write the backup into one single .img file (i think dd is capable of doing this)?

Thanks, M

Arrgh, sorry. backup-omv_boot-31-Mar-2020_15-31-48.dd.gz is from an older backup. The image file backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.ddfull.gz is the bit-to-bit image of the entire drive, correct? So, in case of emergency, I only have to select backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.ddfull.gz in Etcher to write back the bit-to-bit image of the full drive to another SD card, correct.

M

ctrl-shift-R or clear your browser cache.

Thank you, that worked.

I now can see several files in the shared folder:

Code
    backup-omv_boot-31-Mar-2020_15-31-48.dd.gz
    backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.ddfull.gz
    backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.blkid
    backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.fdisk
    backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.grub
    backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.grubparts
    backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.packages

Which file would I have to select to write the full disk image to an SD card in Etcher?

• Selecting backup-omv_boot-31-Mar-2020_15-31-48.dd.gz would write the boot partition to the drive, and
    • selecting backup-omv-31-Mar-2020_16-59-33.ddfull.gz would write the root partition,

But I cannot write both partitions to an SD card, correct? Do I have to put all these files in one container (zip?)?

I'm a bit confused. would it be possible to write the backup into one single .img file (i think dd is capable of doing this)?

Thanks, M

By doable, I meant the plugin could be changed to do this. Otherwise, you can always do it from the command line and a cron job.

This would be great. Being able to do this from within the plugin also implies that older backups are removed, etc. in other words this would imply a script and not just one command line.

Did you click schedule backup again in the plugin?

Yes, I did. Clicking on "scheduled backup" brings up the dialogue.

M

Hi,

I'm running OMV5 on a Raspberry Pi4. The easiest way to make backups is to clone the sd card with win32 disk imager and to restore with etcher.

However, my system is physically stored away somewhere... i need to climb a latter to physically access the pi.

I therefore was looking into the backup plugin. The plugin's gui reads that "dd - use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file". I therefore expected one single img file, however, the backup created several files (gz, blkid, fdisk, grub, grubparts, packages). since dd is capable of writing sigle img files, it would be very handy if there would be a parameter for this. This would be very handy to single-board computer users like myself, because one needs just etcher or something similar to restore the image to a SD card.

Is this doable?

Best, M

I was following this guide (in German). Steps:

1 ) in System | Certificates | SSL: added key "OMV"

2 ) clicked on "Edit" and copied Public key to clipboard (symbol in the right hand upper corner)

3 ) created text file, named it omv.pub, opened file in Notepad++, saved the file to my laptop

4 ) in HiDirve settings, imported public key via uploading omv.pub. appears to work fine

5 ) used Putty to ssh to my OMV5 (since it is running on a Raspberry Pi4 the user is pi)

6 ) executed rsync from terminal in order to retrieve the ECDSA key fingerprint of HiDrive:

Code
    rsync -av --delete -e ssh /srv/dev-disk-by-label-[xxx]/config/  [USERNAME]@rsync.hidrive.strato.com:/users/[USERNAME]/OMVBackup/

[xxx] = the label of my drive
    [USERNAME] = my HiDrive username

7 ) checked whether HiDrive's ECDSA key fingerprint is in known-hosts:

Code
    nano /home/pi/.ssh/known_hosts

The file used to be empty but has now entries

8 ) set-up a rsync job in the OMV gui:

9 ) after saving the settings, manually ran the rsync job.

outcome:

Code
    Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-[xxx]/config/> to <[USERNAME]@rsync.hidrive.strato.com:/users/[USERNAME]/OMVBackup> ...

Host key verification failed.
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]

The synchronisation has completed successfully.
    Done ...

10) alternatively, I tried the password method.

outcome:

Code
    Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-[xxx]/config/> to <[USERNAME]@rsync.hidrive.strato.com:/users/[USERNAME]/OMVBackup> ...

Host key verification failed.
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.3]

The synchronisation has completed successfully.
    Done ...

Can someone help?

Best, M

Thanks.

I don't even understand what went wrong. I finalized the set-up and was at a point which I perceived as a "keeper". So I shut-down the system from the web interface and made an image of the SD card as backup. I experienced the problems after boot. However, I shut-down/rebooted the system several times in the past days without any problems.

Does...

Code
    apt-get install openmediavault --reinstall

... change the configuration of my system? Everything seems to be working fine except php7.3-fpm.

M