Beiträge von shnp

Time Machine is stuck on Enter your name and password for server "xxx" so that time machine can access it.

I enter the correct password (confirmed with logging into omv web interface, and finder being able to access it) and the name/password dialog just pops up again.

What should I do?

I remember this suddenly happening after an update of macos.

I'm on OMV version 6.0.24-1, macos Ventura 13.0.1

While the loss of a disk is not to be taken lightly, it will happen eventually, it is still a infrequent event. In such an event, with SNAPRAID, you'd only lose files added as of the last SYNC event. Realistically, how many files are you adding between SYNC operations? If you feel like you've done a lot of work, you can always run a manual sync at the end of the day.

Where does snapraid explain this part? I cannot find documentation on how it works between sync operations and drive failures.

The scenario that I'm hoping to get an explanation on in the documentation is this:

Assuming neither A nor B are parity

1. you update data on drive A

2. drive B dies

3. you replace drive B and restores

Will you lose some data on drive B (not all) because of the new data written to drive A? Or will you lose the new data written to drive A that is not synced?

How does this work without creating a backup of the data as of the last sync?

and prey are you getting that snippet of information 'write-hole' is more of an issue with mdadm raid 5, and the issue is usually related when a power failure occurs during the write

From my limited knowledge of the problem, snapraid syncs in certain intervals, and in my setup it does not sync on every write. (There's a cron job to run sync at night)

The write hole occurs when there is new data on a data disk, and another disk dies before the new data is synced. Snapraid will not be able to properly restore the disk that dies because it relies on both the parity data and the data on the disks.

For md that same problem may only occurs when there is a power failure during a write. The "sync" operation is automatic compared to the manual syncs in snapraid.

In any case I would use M-DISC technology for archiving. M-DISC is available for DVD and Blue-Ray media. With BD-XL drives a capacity of 100GB per disc is available.

In the past I have used CD-Rs. Some of them weren´t readable anymore after 6 to 10 years.

I've looked around and disk burning software seems to require a GUI to do it...

Do you have it set up with OMV?

I found information on ripping blu rays, but I couldnt find any information on burning them. Does anyone have recommendations for the following:

What external blu ray drives are compatible with OMV?

What software would be compatible with the OMV web interface to burn blu rays?

What software is compatible with OMV web interface for zipping (like 7zip) or creating ISOs?

I'm planning on using blu rays to archive my pictures and videos long term. I have under 500GB of media.

I was surprised that blu rays are the best medium to do long term archiving, so I must ask: before I go down this route, is this is a bad idea?