Beiträge von smartin

Ah, yes, root access is enabled.

S

Install always installs all updates. Being able to select individual updates caused more problems than it fixed.

Do you have root disabled in the ssh tab?

You can do that in the web interface. Gear in the top right corner -> Change Password.

I stumbled over the admin password change. Thanks :)

I can't see an ssh tab. Sorry... Found it!. It was enabled.

S

Hi,

With help from you guys I have set up a OMV5 system before and it's running fine (touch wood...) but now I'm trying to set up a V6...

I have a couple of very basic questions...

1) Updates. In V5 I could tick a box at the top of the first column to select all available updates and then "Install". Do I have to do one update at a time in V6...? There's no "Select all" checkbox...

2) I can't seem to log in over OSX terminal as root. I get constant "Permission denied. Please try again" I'm sure I have the password right. Do I have to enable ssh somewhere? I want to change the admin password for the webgui...

Thanks, as always! :)

S

I get

How do you suggest I do the backups? I don't need versioning as such just reliable copies. It's 99% image files btw...

S

How do you do your backups?

Does it pick up all of your RAID array?

Are you using compression?

Zoki,

I'm glad you asked... :) Would be good to have someone sensible have a look...

See attachments. I'm using Rsync to back my whole file system up to a single external drive. Hopefully I have two incremental updated and then one update which clones the file system at a longer interval.

Hope it makes sense. I don't want to trigger the scripts if there's something wrong with my main file system...

S

Hi,

(I'm running OMV 5.6.26-1.)

I had a bit of a fright this morning...

I successfully created a folder on my SMB share on my RAID 5 setup.

I then saved a file to this folder but couldn't see it in the Finder on my Mac.

Logged in to OMV and noticed several things: The main file system is marked in red and my Backup is way smaller than the main file system, which can't be right. I also got a big error message on login. See attachments.

The big error message (and some minor ones) persisted after reboot of the OMV system. I then shot down the OMV box entirely and rebooted my Mac. When everything came back up again, the various error messages had gone but the file system is still marked in red and the backup size doesn't match.

I reset ACL permissions and the contents of my folder re-appeared.

The persisting issues are the file system marked in red and the size mis-match.

Does anyone know what's up with my setup...? :) Is it just that the file system is nearly full...? Why the size mis-match releative to the backup...?

This is the top section of my log. Full log attached:

S

The drive that you need to replace I take it it's not there in Raid Management -> Devices

I just shut down thinking I'd risk replacing the disk...

I booted up again and there are only three disks in Raid Management -> Devices now.

The faulty disk was sdb but a new disk is now sdb due to the restart...

Plough on and replace the disk?

S

I also got the email:

This is an automatically generated mail message from mdadm
    running on openmediavault
    A Fail event had been detected on md device /dev/md0.
    It could be related to component device /dev/sdb.
    Faithfully yours, etc.
    P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following:
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]

md0 : active raid5 sdb[1](F) sda[4] sdd[5] sdc[2]

5860147200 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [U_UU]

bitmap: 0/15 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk
    unused devices: <none>

Use remove, then from the dialog select the drive you want to replace click OK and the drive will be failed then removed from the array

geaves,

Appreciate your help... :)

Just so I don't mess anything up unnecessarily...:

Use Remove.

Select the faulty drive and Click Ok, which will remove the drive from the array.

Shut down OMV.

Replace the disk.

Boot back up

Go to "Disks", find the new disk and "wipe"

Go to Raid Management and Rebuild

Is that the procedure?

S

Hi,

I'm using OMV 5.6.25-1.

One of my RAID 5 disks is showing "Pre-fail" in the SMART Test and I'd like to replace it.

I have asked about this before and in my notes I have: "If the drive was showing errors and needed replacing, then Raid Management -> select the raid then click delete on the menu, select the drive click OK and the drive is removed, then proceed to add the new drive. All this can be done via the WebUI and no command line necessary."

My problem is that "Delete" button isn't available. See attachment.

What am I doing wrong? How do I replace the disk? :)

I assume there's a difference between "Remove" and "Delete"...?

Thanks! :)

S

Hi,

I'm using OMV 5.6.23-1.

The notification system is sending me *dozens and dozens* of these emails:

I'm guessing this is because I had to change my outgoing server from relay.plus.net to a new server a while ago and forgot to update the settings in OMV.

Are there messages stuck in the mail queue which need flushing? How do I do this please? :)

SM

You have to run --assemble from the cli, you've already blown your brownie points by rebooting :)

It can do if you run cat /proc/mdstat once the rebuild has started, but it should display in the GUI anyway

Where's the 'dodgy' disk, you don't know yet if the array will rebuild, let's do one step at a time, but to answer your question you can't slap in a new disk because the array is currently inactive.

My hands are a bit shaky and clammy but things seem to be rebuilding happily now.

Thanks again :)

S