Beiträge von abiswas25

How do I delay the start of smartd service ?

Figured out the answer to this - just did sudo edit systemctl smartd.service and added the following -

Code
    [Service]
    ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 60
    StartLimitInterval=300s

But my /etc/smartd.conf still shows one of the drives as lvm and does not show any scheduled test for that drive (shown below). How to override this permanently ? I am assuming any change i make directly to this file will not survive an upgrade.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. TIA !!

Okay I just manually restarted the smartd service and it was able to read and open all my drives for monitoring. So I assume the problem is that the smartd service is starting up too fast and is not able to see the disks as they are not yet initialized in /dev/disk.

How do I delay the start of smartd service ?

Okay I took a look at the SMART log this morning after the scheduled tests were supposed to run -

1. 3 out of the 4 devices are not being opened for monitoring. Open fails according to smartd log (attached)

2. I have a LVM setup with 4 seagate usb hard disks forming 2 logical volumes. Now this causes the lvms to be listed under dev/disk/by-id/ as lvm volumes. Some how the /etc/smartd.conf file is picking up one of these disks instead of the actual physical disks which appear as ata-*.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Yes true. I have been seeing that. Unfortunately the lifetime is just a number its not very handy as I have 4 drives with different lifetimes and not possible for me to remember each one.

My exact problem - I am seeing different number of tests in the Self Test Logs (two drives showing 4, one of them is showing only 1 and another shows only 2 tests). The system has been running continuously since last 1.5 months (with a scheduled reboot every week) and scheduled tests run every week on all drives. So I was expecting there to be more tests and more importantly same number of tests across all drives.

What am i missing?

Is there any way of getting to know when the last SMART self test was executed - like Time and Date. I have scheduled jobs for the same but I have doubts they are not running as they should be. Is there a way to get when they last ran ?

macom I am sure I have not deleted anything in the source.. i ran the command 3 times and the last iteration completed without any files copied. Also, I am assuming links are taken care by the "a" option which implies "l" option to copy links as links. Though I do not think the content at present has any links at all.

Hi all,

I am using a simple rsync backup using scheduled jobs. I am using the following command and I ran it 3 times -

Code
    rsync -avHAXE /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DATA/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-RSYNCBACKUP/

The source disk (DATA) has a size of 1.79TB with a used / free space of 1.70TB / 85.04GB while the destination disk (RSYNCBACKUP) has a size of 1.79TB with a used / free space of 1.70TB / 83.64GB i.e. the backup disk is showing a free space of 1.4GB less than source but total size and used space are both same.

Why is there a difference in free space and more importantly why is the backup eating more space on the disk? Is there something wrong with the options? New to both omv and rsync so any help / pointers would be appreciated.

TIA! :)

TechnoDadLife mentioned something similar in a recent video -

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

The fix he suggested was to delay docker start by some 5 mins after system start. Check the video around the 9min and after.

Same Issue here. I am getting emails with Monitoring Alert which are basically when I disconnect or create new mount point etc and the test and login from new devices. I disabled only the process notifications, everything else is enabled and the global setting is enabled too.

No notifications for SMARTS , system updates , CPU and Load.. Would love to have some fix to this issue.

Thanks to this thread for helping me figure out why my SMARTS and hdparm was not working. The below links helped me solve my initial problem -

1. Explanation of SAT with UAS Linux with workarounds

2. Porting the fixes mentioned above on a RPi

I do have some more questions regarding UAS and USBMS as below -

Can anyone suggest how safe / unsafe it is to use UAS on a Seagate drive? Are there reported failures with UAS on Seagate which leads to data corruption? How Can i find out if my Seagate drive actually supports UAS without any problems (even when Linux says it does not) ?

I am setting up my home NAS on RPi4B with OMV5 using Seagate HDDs and wanted to enable SMARTS and APM using hdparm. Initially both were not working but after setting the quirks to override the default NO_ATA_1X flag (by omitting the u at the end of usb-storage.quirks in /boot/cmdline.txt) I was able to get both APM and SMARTS working.

I wanted to understand if there is any possibility my disks start failing because of using UAS. If so I can revert to :u to use USBMS and not UAS.

My Drives:

1 x Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive USB 3.0 2TB

1 x Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive

2 x Seagate Backup Plus Hub 4TB External Hard Drive USB 3.0

Thanks in advance! :)

You find the plugins in ..... plugins ;)

There is no plex plugin anymore. Use docker instead.

Thanks .. i think i was looking at some old guide and the plex plugin was listed on this page and i was facing the same issue ..had been banging my head for an hour with this communication error :/

I do not see the option to install plex media server (non docker) .. how can I install the plex media server without using Docker?