Posts by go_niko

please provide more info about your system.

eg: do you use promox kernell like is sugested?

Oh yes sorry for being so vague. I have OMV 5 running on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB. Currently using mergerfs to pool some drives together and snapraid to create some fault tolerance, and have several docker containers running. I'm not familiar with promox though, so I'm not using the promox kernel. Is that my problem?

I'm looking to possibly start dabbling with ZFS in the near future, but when I try to install the ZFS plugin, I get the following error. Can someone help me navigate this?

That's it, thank you so much! I totally misunderstood the error, but this makes sense. I thought for some reason that having both a weekly.0 and weekly.1 folders present from previous backups were throwing it off when I reduced it down to just 1 weekly backup. This makes much more sense, so it all works now.

I've been using rsnapshot (through the OMV webUI) for a while to keep recent backups, and so far it's worked without a problem. Recently I adjusted some of the parameters for a couple of my backups, to keep fewer versions of the backups. Now I get the error: ERROR: Can not have first backup level's retention count set to 1, and have a second backup level

I went through the backups and deleted extraneous ones (like weekly_1 when I only wanted a weekly_0), so the existing directories perfectly match the settings - but still nada. I also deleted the rsnapshot entry from the webUI, renamed the target directory so it could start totally fresh, and got the same error yet again. I also uninstalled the rsnapshot plugin through the webUI, renamed the backup target folder, reinstalled rsnapshot, set up a new backup, and get the same exact error. Not sure what else to try.

Anyone have any idea how I can get rsnapshot working again?

It depends on how your drive pool is defined and what create policy is in use whether it will or will not wind up scattered across more than one disk. Mine is on a drive that isn't pooled.

Looks like that was it! I moved the docker container files to a directory directly on one of the drives rather than the pool itself, and it was easily picked up in the OMV webUI, and my containers all seem to be working. Thanks for the help!

Do not put your docker storage directory on a mergerfs pool. It introduces another possible race condition and is a poor idea anyway.

Good to know! In that case, if I want to move it somewhere with more storage space, could I just put it on one of the individual drives that's part of the pool, rather than scattered across the pool itself?

Indeed, the first command just gave the output: errors pretty printing info

And unfortunately the second gave this output/error:

Sorry that this is so difficult... could it be something about my trying to install it on drives pooled by mergerfs that's causing the problem? Not sure what else could be different between the new directory and the original.

Unfortunately, I tried all of the above and still have had no luck... after copying the container files to the new directory, changing and saving the new directory in the webUI, fully uninstalling docker, rebooting my system, and reinstalling docker through the webUI, I get this error (with the last 2 lines repeated many times):

Thanks for the pointers! I'm in the process of copying everything to the new directory with the commands above:

After that, first I'll just save/restart, and if that doesn't work I'll uninstall docker from the webUI, set the path, and reinstall it and see what happens. Hopefully all the containers stay intact! I'll post back with updates. Thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the reply! I did use rsync to copy everything from /var/lib/docker to /<externaldrive>/docker, and then set the same path in the webUI. I then ran systemctl restart docker and got this error:

Code
    Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status docker.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Any ideas on this? The racing issue sounds like it'll be relevant too, so thanks for sharing that resource as well.

Hello! I'm running OMV and a few docker containers on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB. OMV is installed on a 32GB microSD card, but I also have it hooked up to 16TB of pooled drive storage. I've successfully had a few docker containers running, but now I'm running into trouble since my microSD card is filling up. I saw that in the OMV docker settings, I have the option to change the Docker Storage path. I went ahead and changed it to a directory on my pooled drives, and when I reboot my system it lists its status as installed and running. Portainer says "No portainer container found." When I try hitting the install button again, I get: Something went wrong trying to pull and start portainer ...

When I try to restart docker, I get this over and over again:

Code
    >>> *************** Error ***************
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; echo "Restarting docker ..." && systemctl restart docker.service ': Restarting docker ...
    <<< *************************************

Not sure what else I need to do to get it running on my external drives. Don't know if this is related, but the drives are encrypted when OMV starts up, so maybe it gets thrown off because it tries to start these services before it's got access to the drives? Not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!