Posts by chente

I wasn't one who originally stated there was no Linux support. I went by what the OP stated. I don't spend time on the external website.

Very good, you weren't wrong, someone else was wrong and you validated it. Since you said you work at Seagate I didn't question it.

I think you're taking this all too far.

I also get the sense that I will always be "wrong" no matter what I say to you.

It seems to me that everything I have said so far is reasoned, correct me if I am wrong. And I also assume that you will never agree to anything anyway. You are too involved with one of the parties, you are not impartial.

I understand that it is not pleasant for you that the work of the company you work for is questioned. But you should also understand the OP's situation. If you buy a hard drive that is not in perfect condition, you must have the right to return it and be given another completely new hard drive in perfect condition. I don't care who is to blame, it could be SMART, the courier who knocked the package, the Seagate employee who did not do the Quality Control job correctly, or the manufacturer in Vietnam of one of the components of the hard drive that didn't sleep well that day and a piece came out defective. No one should question this, neither Seagate nor the President of the UN.

Hmmm, if we don't have a backup of the old config, what is there to be done?

I upgraded to v0.8

In your case you have the previous database configuration. So, you can do the following:

- Backup of the current database. File /etc/openmediavault/config.xml

- Replace the Snapraid part with what you had before, what you published in post No. 1

- Run omv-salt deploy run snapraid

If ryecoaaron has not changed the database format in version 7.08 the plugin should work. If you do not have a system backup, it is better to wait for ryecoaaron to confirm this procedure.

I've seen a device on Aliexpress that makes RAID1 by itself on USB.

A Case for two 3,5 Sata HDDs >>> USB.

I've been using OMV for years with a Raspberry PI 3 and now Raspberry PI 4.

I am thinking it could my choice to have a better backup using my Raspberry PI 4

Does it have I a chance to work???

What this box does is a hardware Raid. That means that OMV will not see that Raid, OMV will only see a simple hard drive. It is a somewhat limited type of Raid. For OMV to see a Raid and be able to manage it, said Raid must be carried out by software, not by hardware, and that cannot be done with a Raspberry PI4.

I just don't understand why you are interpreting my first message as somehow Seatools lacking transparency. If anything, it's TOO TRANSPARENT by keeping a count on correctable errors and seek errors, which are normal in any HDD.

Reading your first post again...

Incorrect or invalid SMART interpretations are one of the biggest issues with "no problem found" failure returns. Often it comes down to third party software that isn't following the protocol and starts throwing red flags with the presence of raw counts. That is why Seagate support is asking people to run the Seatools software because it's written in a way to separate garden variety errors from catastrophic issues.

I get the fact that Seatools is Windows only and not everyone wants to bother finding a Windows box and a USB/SATA adapter. Unfortunately that is the best software to determine if the drive has an onset of a lethal condition.

My interpretation of this is that you cannot use SMART to determine the status of a hard drive. And also there is no other tool for Linux. And that is the only thing I have said so far and on which I have based my arguments.

Well this is interesting, I decided to poke around the Seagate website and found there is a Linux version of Seatools.

Fortunately I see that you were wrong and that Seagate has a tool for Linux as you stated later. That changes things a bit.

In my opinion what Seagate (and all other hard drive manufacturers) should do is be a little more transparent and adapt their firmware so that the SMART results are completely useful. If Seagate is not doing this it is because it is not interested in doing so. You just have to think a little to realize why, it would be too easy to request an RMA.

It wasn't my intent to suggest that the lack of Seatools for Linux is because Seagate doesn't want to support people running Linux. I'm only stating fact, Seatools is only officially supported as a Windows platform tool. I don't make those decisions and that's just the way it is.

However you are suggesting that SMART is not a reliable tool for determining the status of a Seagate hard drive. So, if there is no other tool, and after reading the response that gderf received, everything indicates that Seagate is washing its hands of Linux users. A month ago I bought a Seagate hard drive and I'm starting to regret it.

Does WD and Toshiba have a diagnostic tool written for Linux?

No idea, but it would be the first time I read that Toshiba or WD do not support a customer after SMART gave negative results. I'm actually very surprised by all this from Seagate.

When I did, I had the YML with that.

At that time the network was managed in a different way in OMV. I don't know how it would affect doing this at this time.

And if that solution feels "not correct", it can always be used the "official one":

Docker · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome Wiki (github.com)

The same as before. In this case you are manually modifying the OMV DNS configuration. I don't know what the consequences are of doing this.

OR

Docker · AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome Wiki (github.com)

that uses--network host which bypasses all need of using ports.

This is what you already said by modifying the compose file. The container takes over port 53 on the host.

None of this seems more reliable to me than a vlan network. Someone would have to test it and prove that it works on OMV. So far they are only untested procedures in OMV if I'm not mistaken.