Beiträge von floppyslap

Hey, thanks for the update. In the meantime i have bought RTL8125B card... and it works great with my HP T620 machine.

I have set up the jumbo frame to 9000 to get more speed because it was limited to around 200MB/s with default mtu. Now i have stable 290MB/s with FTP, and after some tweaking, stable 280-290MB/s with SMB. Iperf3 shows 294MB/s both ways.

I am also having little issues with write speeds on SMB, when i tweaked it to get better read... then write speeds dropped. Its still a matter of tuning but i dont have time to play with it more right now.

I am using second identical RTL8125B card in my PC, don't bought 2.5G switch yet because these are a bit pricey. 5.10 included kernel drivers worked great "out of the box", the only issue was complete lack of communication trough LAN with my mashine after adding the card. I had to use TV and a keabord to run omv-firstaid to fix things up.

Hi. So does it work with normal OMV 5.10.0 installation? Just need to be chosen as default controller? How does it work, no problems, do you get near 280MB/s with your NAS? How much load does it put on the CPU?

I have found cheap 2.5G cards with I225-V on aliexpress and thinking about upgrading my NAS to the next level. And also don't want realtek garbage.

Ok i'll provide more info. My disks both are 2,5" and 5400rpm so not so great in performance (SMR technology makes it even worse). If the disk is empty, write speed at the edge of the disk platter exceeds 100MB/s so sending a file (8GB) over local network to my NAS looks like this:

rUkD1BX.jpg

And the output of free -m during write operation - so pretty much the whole available memory is filled up quickly.

Code
                  total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           7385         193         117          29        7074        6861
    Swap:          7608           0        7608

But the same operation on disk filled over 50% with data looks like this:
    5kl9IPR.jpg

Win10 graph clearly shows that only first ~2GB lands in cache, the rest is slowly written to the disk. A the first falling slope free -m shows around 2,5GB in the "buffer" column, then it fills up slowly reaching over 6GB at the end.

Here i don't know why its not taking data straight into buffer, but it waits for the disk, filling the buffer along. It uses the buffer more as a fast-read-later-cache instead of a write-fast-now-cache.

I have 8GB of RAM but OMV seems to use only 2GB as a disk write buffer. My disk filled up to 50% is pretty bad at writes with 50MB/s or even 30 with small files. So first ~two gigabytes goes really smooth at full 1Gb connection and then it drops hard. I could really use full RAM potential for this.

So the OMV install went perfectly on T620 machine, how nice :)

The card is also working nice both ways out of the box, but it puts quite a load on the CPU. I'll test how it looks with actually using samba.

CPU 55%

CPU 35%

Yes its older, you have to upgrade it from the gui panel. System grows from 1.7GB to 1.9GB and no longer fits on 2GB drive. When you install directly (if you manage to bypass installer problems) it upgrades itself.

So how the realtek performs? I'll have my hardware today and hopefully i'll be able to test it.

Buy an intel card

Problem solved

Yes i know intel NIC would be perfect for this, its doing a bunch of processing itself instead of putting load on the main CPU as realtek does. But the main problem is space inside, and these cheap intel cards are not small. I want to fit three HDDs inside and keep it small (thin terminal, not the "plus" size). But if all fails, ill have to buy intel and somehow fit it inside.

I couldn't install OMV 4 and 5 because dhcp isn't available, so I'm creating a driver on another PC. Therefore, make is entered manually.

OMV installer has some strange bugs, i also had problems with DHCP part of the install. AND with auto partitioning. Try the two-step install, installing Debian first.

Hi.

I would love to know how this card actually performs. Any iperf3 tests by chance?

I tried to run OMV on HP T610 terminal with broadcom BCM57781 card, but it seems tigon3 driver under Debian is bugged so it receives with full 1GbE speed but sending speed is cut in half, googled out few similar questions but no answers. So i only know its working fine under Windows and FreeBSD, but not under Debian.

Anyhow, now im aiming at HP T620 with RTL8111/8168/8411 and as i see it also has a bunch of problems, and yeah... its realtek so it sucks by definition when it comes to open software. But if after the fix it saturates 1GbE connection both ways, i'll go for it.

Anyone?