Beiträge von Gharkan

How did you wind up in this situation? (I'm not going to read a six page thread that is likely full on unrelated stuff.)

You can read my post from 5h ago ;) it's just up ahead :) but yeah i kinda messed up my OMV installation and i have a backup from before the incident, that i maid with dd method on omv-backup plugin, i'm trying to retrieve my OMV configuration. Right now, i reinstalled OMV and i'm trying to restore the dd backup but this bad boy weights more than the system part of my current OMV install (checked on Gparted) i don't know why, but i look for a solution to shrink that dd backup so as to dd copy it to the system part without a writing error from "not enough space" issue.

The issue i still have is that somehow my dd is larger than the current system part i have now, so i know that once i launch the dd copy cmd, it's gonna scream at me, saying there's an error writing tthe part as there is not enough space on the system part to copy my dd backup. Any solution ? Is there way to trim the dd to exclude some empty space ? Maybe i could dd copy to a larger disk and try to fsa backup this disk. Any idea ?

Hello everyone,

I watched the content of this thread and also followed the different methods in the guide from auanasgheps, to try and restore a dd-backup of my server on OMV 6 and i have trouble booting on the server.

Here is my issue and i hope i didn't miss the solution here. Just being myself, i configured backup plugin on OMV with omv-extras and scheduled dd-backup frequently and just forgot about it. After being dumb, i crashed my system, so i had to erase the nvme and disconnected my HDD's to avoid colateral damages.

The thing is, i have a dd-backup which, i believe is from before the incident and because i don't want to configure my server again, i would like to restore this backup. I tried auanasgheps guide here, replacing fsa file with dd file (the system part, usually the largest).

[How-To] Restore OMV system backup made with openmediavault-backup plugin - Guides - openmediavault

I booted from Gparted, formatted my nvme on GPT (as my system is UEFI) and recreated the part table using my .grubparts file but there is somethin to it, i don't know if it's normal:

Apparently, the filesystems are not recognized anymore, but they were the first time i tried restoring .grubparts.

An other issue i have is that my espdd file is larger than 512M, this results in the dd copy cmd to fail, claiming i have not enough space in the part to copy. I don't know why my boot part is larger than 512, i thought maybe it's because i programmed a swapfile rather than the default swap partition and during the backup, it could have backed up the session within the swapfile that is stored in the boot part, maybe i'm wrong, nonetheless i have the same issue with my dd file being larger than the system part here, but i would like to see first with you guys if there is something i'm missing here before try and debugging this. I really don't want to configure my server again ^^

any help is welcome, thx.