Beiträge von servator

What would be the best way to move a shared folder to a new omv server,

this should include all the data as well as permissions (and possibly even smb/nfs configuration)

Where does OMV store the share and smb/nfs configuration and permissions for each share?
    Does each share have its own individual config file or is there one central one for all shares?

If each share has its own individual config, can you just copy it to the new system after the files got moved? (provided, that both systems have the same user accounts)

I am currently trying to build a multi server cluster,

one functionality i am looking to integrate is centralized user accounts/permissions for the omv web page as well as smb users.

For the linux users the obvious thing would be to use ldap or sth (or just syncng /etc/shadow & passwd & group :p )

but as far as i know omv also has its own account system for the webgui and smb.

Where are the omv user accounts stored?

Is it file based or in a database?

Thinking of using a centralized database / sync the files between the servers,

do you think this will work, anyone already tried this?

thanks

Weiterhin scheint es dem Hausbesitzer an jeglichen technischen Verständnis zu fehlen wie man ohne Schlüsseln und offenen Türen sein Haus benutzt, um dann daraus eine Risiko Abschätzung durchzuführen. :)

Jup, ist zwar hier nicht der Fall, aber die einzigen Setups wo ich sowas gesehen habe war bei internen Netzwerken/VLANs die durch eine interne Firewall getrennt waren... aber auch hierfür gäbe es bessere Lösungen...

Hi,

SAS Ports ususally are four lanes per port.

for the lsi naming scheme as an example the 9200-8i the 8 stands for 8 lanes / drives without expander so you can use two break out cables and connect four drives per port. The 4i can only connect to 4 drives without expanders. The i stands for internal, the versions with e for external. The 9212 is a bit newer so should be a bit more power efficient but you probably wont notice a difference in performance sinc both are sas2 / 6 g

Vorab sei gesagt das dies sicherheitstechnisch eine absolut schlechte Idee ist!!!

Keine Ahnung wo du das mit dem VPN ist langsam her hast... die Geschwindigkeit wird durch deinen Up/Downspeed deiner beiden Internet Verbindungen beeinflusst und wird natürlich viel langsamer als eine lokale Verbindung sein.

Aber daran wird die vpn Verbindung auch nichts ändern, installiere einfach einen wireguard docker container auf deinen omv.

Ist wirklich nicht aufwendig, ist sicher und sollte an der Geschwindigkeit auch nicht viel ändern...

Folgende Anleitung ist Sicherheitstechnischer Irrsinn:

Aber ein simpler portforward im router auf den OMV port 445 sollte funktionieren, du musst nur bedenken, dass du für die smb connection am client nun die public ip des routers an dem die omv hängt benutzen musst. Aber mach das echt nicht....

This won't work well in OMV because it expects the disks to be available all of the time.

thx, yeah i know this is a pretty niche scenario,

but the other alternatives arent really handling it much better and i meant with the current zfs export/import it is at least kinda working.

Another thought i had was to run multiple omv instances (one for each pool) that i can start stop independently.
    I got everything running virtualized in proxmox anyway but i would need to rewire the hbas for this to work and it is going to increase management work.

As long as you are getting SATA HDDs (which are basically all on Amazon, even "NAS grade" HDDs like WD Red or Ironwolf)
    you dont need any special mainboard and normal pc mainboard will work fine.

Regarding if you should get "normal desktop HDDs" like Baracuda/WD Blue/Green or NAS HDDs like WD RED/Purple / Seagate Ironwolf.

This mainly depends on your usecase.

If you are planing to run 24/7 go with NAS grade drives bc they are rated for 24/7 usage and usually built to higher standards then normal drives.
    If not you are probably fine with consumer drives.

Regarding Raid1...

Raid is not a backup!!! you will probably hear this quite frequently. Raid does protect you againt disk failures but NOT against everything.

As an example, Malware/Ransomware, Total System Failures like Catastrophic PSU failures (when the psu blows there is a chance that it can take the other components with it), Environmental Stuff like Fire/Water and other stuff.

Raid1 is a good start but depending on you budget get another external drive and use it like once a week to make a backup you at least keep in another room.

Hi,

just starting out with OMV and thinking how to best integrate it into my setup.

Lets say i got a server running omv with 4 raidz3 pools (12 disks each).
    The main pool is in the server itself and 24/7 available, the other three pools are located in an external jbod that is switched off while not in use.

What would the proper unmount/switch off procedure for the jbod be?

Can this be automated within omv?

What are your thoughts on this?
    Thanks for any advice :)

My experiments so far:

Current temporary solution:

Switched to ZFS,

Shutdown: Disabling SMB Shares, then exporting the pools.

Boot: Importing pools, then enabling all smb shares