Beiträge von Wobbly

SMB is just to allow shared folders to both Windows and Linux hosts.

Logitech Media Server is running on Debian directly, it is not in an OMV container.

I have original Squeezebox players plus PPi Zero W running Squeezelite as players off LMS.

Would having Windows as SMB clients be a reason to run clamav? I am not sure why LMS as a server would increase the risk.

I see a couple short and old threads on these topics, so this is a general set of questions.

How many OMV users are installing CLAMAV and/or FAIL2BAN?

For those that have, what has been your general experience?

Currently I have neither, but I see their availability on here. I am just not sure the utility.

I could scan the shares when they are mounted on a PC, as far as AV goes.

Given that the machine is on a pretty small network behind a router, I am not certain what utility there is to FAIL2BAN.

Hoping a few of you see this and chime in.

I have not, and I encountered a YouTuber that states that in a video, and acknowledges that people will argue that you should not do that, but then goes on to say that hey, you're behind a firewall, right?

I could not get guest access to work from Windows 11. Simply could not. Linux accessed with no issues but Windows 11 was driving me up the wall until I opened it up.

If someone provides a step by step to get it to work without doing that, I'll give it another shot.

I tried to set up a user, and use user credentials to access, and that also failed. I had a pressing need to get some data off another machine, so I did what I did. And as I said, I was following a guide on YouTube that got it working.

I had a problem yesterday where I created a new share down a path where the root was mode drwx--s--- and the directory I wanted to access below that was drwxrsxrwx and I could not get to it from SMB on my Windows 11 desktop. I changed the mode on the root folder to match the lower directory, and then access all worked. So it seems to be a issue of nested folders having to need access all the way down. At least, that is what I had to do.

chente thank you for that link to the disk documentation. I'll mess around with the web interface and see how that affects hdparms.

In that documentation, it appears (if I read it correctly) that you need to set both. Power management, and a spindown timer.

As I said originally, the main SATA drive in my setup may be idle for days at a time. Even with a two hour spin down timer, worst case, it would take 22 years to pass the 100,000 head load cycle on that drive. Running 24 hours per day it won't last 22 years, so a spindown of two hours is reasonable.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Okay. Thanks. So in the drive configuration, there are two settings.

Power Management, and spin down. Within power management, there are six levels, three with "standby (spindown)" and three without.

If I set my power management to "intermediate with standby" will the disk spindown after some time?

Or do I also have to set the spindown timer?

My OMV host has two drives, a 480GB install SSD and an 8TB NAS drive. I installed OMV-Extras and I have moved one shared folder to the SSD, since it is likely to see frequent read access. In doing that, I have now created a situation where my NAS-HDD may very well only be up a couple times each week, and likely unused for days at a time, so I have decided to spin it down after 3 hours of being idle.

Is there a way to detect the spin-down state of that drive on the dashboard?

It is not a requirement, it is more a question of general interest.

Also, there are two settings on the hard drive, power management and spin down time. Does anyone have a simplified version on how those interact? I am doing some reading in the forum but it isn't completely clear to me how those link.

I read this thread, and it raises the issue of whether spin-down is working at all:

They discuss installing hd-idle, which I will do if this isn't working.

So far, I have gotten past all my early issues, and the platform is doing just what I want it to.

Thanks

Okay, my machine behind a router, not exposed to the public web. I installed OMV extras, and setpermissions, and opened up my shares to mode 777 across the board. And now I can access them.

Clearly something in my setup is messed up that I am not able to use the user account that I set up, but right now, I am sweeping 2TB of data off my desktop that I needed to move. I'll have to figure out user controlled access later.

One other note. I created an entry for my OMV host in the credential manager, and it detected the address match, and still failed.

Also note: Windows 11 SMB blocks 'guest' access without doing magic in gpedit.msc, but even with that magic invoked, I could not get guest logins to work, even with 'guest allowed' selected on the share.

If I am doing something obviously wrong, I would love to hear it. I really need this desktop to access or it doesn't have much value as a server.

Okay, total newbie here, and SMB from Windows 11 Home (fully up to date) to OMV 6.3 is driving me up the wall.

All I get is access denied, contact your network administrator messages.

Here is my OMV User

My SMB config

And my share:

I intend to use my user creds douglas dougs-pasword (not the real password there <<<) to login

If I just click on the network share on my PC it doesn't even offer me the chance to add credentials, and if I try to map, it does not succeed.

I have tried user 'douglas' 'omv6-01\douglas' and '192.168.1.200\douglas' along with the password. Nothing.

I tied using my work laptop, which is Windows 11 Pro, with no better luck.

I just brought up OMV6 on an old HP Microserver N40L this last weekend. Had some minor issues but worked through them (thanks partly to moderator macom).

It would be a severely under powered CPU in any other context.

PassMark - AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core - Price performance comparison

About the same as an Intel Celeron N3010

I have 16GB of ECC (yes, ECC!) RAM installed (new, not used) that I got off a vendor on EBay for under $30. (ATech)

I have a Kingston 480GB SSD as the system disk and an 8TB IronWolf NAS drive for my volume store.

So far, it seems to run just fine. If I actually run into problems, I'll echo that back here, but so far, its SAMBA speeds are completely livable.

Here is the link to the DDR in case anyone else out there with an HP N40L wants a reference to 16GB sticks that work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224440204415

Thank you Macom for that reassurance. I am curious why just piping the install script through bash failed. That was weird.

What I did was import the script, chopped off the end where it runs 'dpkg install', then ran it, up to the point that it had received the package through wget.

I double checked that the prior actions had all completed correctly, then did the 'dpkg install' manually, and it ran fine.

In any case I am back on track and on my way. Thanks again! :)

It shows the plugin as installed, so possibly that "** CONNECTION LOST **" is a 'normal' response.

So it installed (extras) properly, but when I tried to install the 'resetpermissions' plugin, I got this:

And in my notifications I have:

500 - Internal Server Error Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer 5 minutes ago

Is that normal? Newbie here, so I cannot be certain.