Beiträge von ezkialrage

Thank you very much. I feel like I've been trying to solve a problem for hours that was an intended feature. If I'd have read the changelog I'd have saved myself hours of time since I couldn't find the mounted drives at first

I recently reinstalled omv and my hdd references went from uiud=xxx media/xxx

To being this below
    Srv/media-by-label srv/media-by-label

I liked having then by uiud and I tried to change them back in fstab but that borked omv. My question is why did this happen? Why did the reference/mount point change?

The last part referring to storage I find it hard to understand. Can you try and explain again what's the issue ?

I know exactly what your problem is and i know how to solve it. I was having the same issue myself and i didn't know what the problem was. I ended up just trial and erroring things and then eventually i was the options in the omv docker-container gui i needed to edit to make this work. I will try to explain the problem and then how i fixed it.

the issue is that your docker download directory, and your 'omv/transmission/nas' doanload directory are not bound.

I spent hours changing the ENV variable TRANSMISSION_FINISHED_DOWNLOAD to my nas directory but my nas drive wouldnt get the file. transmission would spend time downloading the file and then poof it was just no where to be found. Then i got to digging into the docker container file system and after a lot of digging 'usr/var/lib/docker/???' something like that, i found the transmission downloads. at the directory i specified in the EVN variable.

so then after a few more hours, i realized below the ENV variables section in the container start dialogue, there is a bind directory field. Thats what you need to edit. your Nas download directory is the first field, and the docker container download directory is the second field. (if you changed this in the ENV variables, you have to put that directory here). but there is a GOTCHA. i put my NAS directory as /jack/sparrow/ and my docker downloads were /docker/downloads/. If you are using Sonarr, and you set up transmission to download into /jack/sparrow, your downloads will fail because your docker container does not have the folder /jack/sparrow and transmission will not know where to put the file. this is because docker is running transmission and not OMV so it does not have immediate access to your root file structure. it only have access to the internal folders (e.g /docker/downloads) and they get bound to external folders (e.g. /jack/sparrow). The solution to this problem is simple. you need to make your docker downloads directory the same ad your NAS downloads directory. so your docker ENV variable for transmission downloads should also be /jack/sparrow/.

I know this is long, but i wanted to explain why it wasn't working vs just giving a solution.

Tl:Dr;

1. set your Docker downloads ENV variable path to be the same as your NAS download dir path
    2. in the docker container start dialogue, BIND the nas doanload path to your docker download path. (this means they should say the same thing on each line e.g. /my/download/folder).
    3. this also applies to incomplete downloads, and a watch folder.

hope this helps.

so the nasbox has been running great the last two days. i closed off access from the internet to the box. now its only accessible from the local network and through openvpn and ftp. i think my issue was that i was getting Dos'ed. i combed through the authentication logs and the timeframes of the hundreds of login attempts match the timeframe of the last log in the syslog everytime it crashed.

today i am going to replace my os drive with an ssd and my old media drives with 1 red drive. hopefully this will fix up all issues. Ill report back and close this thread out after a few days. i appreciate the help so far.

heres the smart command of my OS drive..

heres the 2nd one. post was too long

Here is the smart command for my two oldest hard drives. the other two are wd reds i just bought so im sure they arnt bad. these two however are pretty old. my kern.log is too big to attach (2.6mb) so here is a dropbox link if your interested, would my messages.txt or deamon.log be useful to put up?. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7059664/files/kern.log

ive combed through it, but at the time of the crash, it does not log anything. you can see the time jump multiple hours for when it stopped logging, to when i rebooted it.

hey guys,

I’m having an issue either with OMV(software) or my system(hardware), and I’m hoping i can describe my issues here and get some help if its OMV. I’ve reinstalled OMV about a week ago and everything was running great until about 4 days ago. after a reboot the system wouldn’t finish booting and threw out a lot of errors.

usb 2-2 device descriptor read/64, error -71

xhci_hcd 00:0:0:0 setup error: setup context command for slot 1

usb 2-2 hub failed to enable device

i figured after a few hours that it was the keyboard that i had plugged into the usb3.0 terminal and when i plugged it into the 2.0 terminal system booted no errors no problem. this was using the new kernel so i was surprised that usb 3.0 wasn’t working especially since i enabled usb 3.0 in the mobo bios.

the next morning i woke up and my Nasbox was hard locked up; unreachable by smb/ssh/ftp etc, so i had to hold down the power and start it up. I thought it was a fluke until the next morning I woke up and found the nasbox unresponsive yet again.

at this point i started looking up potential issues. The system logs didn’t show anything out of the ordinary other than the timestamp of a “flushall” was 7 hours before the rebooting logging started. So to me it seemed as though whatever happened wasn’t being logged.

full disclosure, I’m still new to linux and couldn’t find an error log so i was only going off of the syslog in the GUI.

steps I’ve taken 2 nights ago.

I thought the drives might be overheating so i separated my 4 drives from 1 bay into 2 x 2 bays.

I plugged the sata cables into different terminals on my motherboard after checking for faulty cabling.

i uninstalled all plugins except for plex.

after a few reboots, i started watching some vids and during playback the nasbox froze yet again after about 30 min of video watching. I rebooted once and all seemed fine for the night.

then this morning i woke up to a frozen box again so i held down power to reboot again. this time when i rebooted, I received a few errors on the startup screen which lead me to believe a hard drive is failing.

33.888139 ata2.00 failed command: read dma

43.295999 ata2.00 revalidation failed (errno=-5

end_request i/0 error, dev sad sect 8

ect…

I let the machine boot all the way up and one of my raids was offline so i rebooted, and this time i used the old 3.2.0 kernel vs the 3.16 kernel. The machine booted all the way in and the raid was there so i started backing up the media on that drive to another drive and during the transfer the box locked up frozen again. Im not sure if a bad drive would totally freeze the machine especially if its just been sitting for hours. and thats where I’m at right now.

so I think there are a few issues i could possibly be facing.

Maybe my OMV installation got borked.

maybe my HDD is borked causing system lockups

maybe my cpu is overheating, although I’ve got a serious fan on it and around 6 case fans with serious airflow.

maybe ram is borked?

so many variables i don’t know where to start. I can’t find an error log to point me in the right direction. Ill post logs (if i can figure out how) when i get home from work later, i just wanted to get this down before i forgot everything I’ve done.

anybody have any ideas? what other information do you need from me? ?(

thanx for the reply. I actually did do
    apt-get --purge remove plexmediaserver
    apt-get --purge remove openmediavault-plexmediaserver
    userdel plex

before every reinstall of plex and OMV. I saw that you mentioned these commands in another thread so i added them to things to try. whats strange is that i would thing that doing this purge would delete all user permissions and metadata. but still everytime i reinstalled OMV and plex i would still get the "service isnt running" red dot in services gui.

maybe i was reinstalling in the wrong order? does a fresh reinstall of OMV totally delete plugin data/users or is there a chance of permission remnants staying?

this was one of the more hair pulling issues ive had but still im glad its solved for me at least for now.

xpost from plex.tv forums...

I'm writing this to document the steps i took to resolve an issue i had with PMS where no matter what i did the service wouldn't start. I somehow borked my PMS installation and decided i needed to reinstall it and start fresh. I had installed from the plugins menu so i uninstalled from there. proceeded to purge all pms assets in the command line and rebooted. I reinstalled pms from the gui again and this time the server wouldnt start.

I went through multiple uninstalls and reinstalls, changed the pms database directory multiple times and still no go. so then i reinstalled from a .deb in the command line. no matter what i did the plexmediaservice would show a red dot in the OMV gui services tab and the command line would output "it seems the service isnt running".

welp time to start over completely and totally reinstall OMV. so i reinstalled OMV went through all of the updates, installed the new kernal from the omv-extras repo and then i reinstalled plex. rebooted. I went to the services tab and the plexmediaservice still had a red dot! reinstalled OMV multiple times using default kernel, changing database folders. I searched all over the forums, here and omv.org, tried all manner of purge this, grep that, apt update/upgrade ect. I tried changing ownership of the database folder to root:nogroup, then to plex:users, then to fuck:this. nothing worked. the errors still plagued me.

reading a forum late at night i read an off-comment about manually creating the plex user. I tried to create the plex user but it wasn't showing up in the gui. I read that this was because when you install plex it creates a user "silently". I uninstalled plex, rebooted, created the plex user manually and gave it access to all the shares. When i reinstalled plex lo and behold, works like a charm and somewhat faster than before!

sorry for the rambling, but i wanted to give people the solution that worked for me after days of searching. maybe i can help save people time.

TL;DR

if you're at wits end, try uninstalling plex, create a user with the name "plex" manually and give it access to all your shares and then reinstall plex.

i was having issues with my plex media server after i moved my nasbox to a different place in the house. it has a static ip, and everything is the same, from when it was working, but somehow moving it has caused the plex server to no longer work. in the services tab it was showing as enabled, but with a red dot instead of a blue dot. so after a few hours of searching and enabling reenabling and reinstalling the plunging, i decided to start anew.

i completely reinstalled OMV and this time i updated all of the updates/installed the extras repo and then am trying to install plex. instead of installing, it is just sitting on the install screen with..

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...

no matter how long i let it sit, it will not continue. every other plugin i try to install works fine. after an apt-get update, these errors were thrown out at the end...

Code
    W: Failed to fetch http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian/dists/squeeze/Release.gpg Could not connect to shell.ninthgate.se:80 (195.22.88.165). - connect (111: Connection refused)W: Failed to fetch http://shell.ninthgate.se/packages/debian/dists/wheezy/Release.gpg Unable to connect to shell.ninthgate.se:http:W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

is the plex server down or have i screwed something royally? appreciate the help

Where it says server you should only put the ip address. The remote share below the ip address field

my good man. thank you for this. i can not believe how difficult i was making it. you've saved me a few grey hairs. i really appreciate it.

hi,

im hoping maybe i could get a little assistance with the remoteshare plugin. im a complete noob in linux but building this omv box has been a great learning experience for me. ive got everything set up the way i want for a plex server, but i would like to use the remoteshare plugin to mount a static ip'd servers smb shared drive for plex to access.

ive run into a few issues trying this, and i fully believe its because i have no idea how to format the "server address" line in the plugin. i will try to attach photos but basically what ive tried in the server address field is

//server_name/shared_folder
    server_name/shared_folder

//192.168.xxx.xxx/shared_folder
    192.168.xxx.xxx/shared_folder

ive even tried options with the forward slashes instead of backslashes and each with single quotes around them as well. each one of those lines returns an error when i hit "apply" in omv. sometimes its "cant resolve host" or one was "bad unc" i think. id appreciate if someone would help with the correct way to format/use this plugin, or point me to a a remoteshare manual. ive honestly looked everywhere for a readme or something to help me figure out how to use the plugin.

again, sorry if this is a completely easy rudimentary thing, but ive only just gotten into linux and omv in the last week. everything else ive figured out with extensive googlage, but this issue has taken me about 3 days and now id just rather ask someone.