Beiträge von Mousla

As a last "patch" solution if you can't find anything else, you can schedule a task that touches a file on the hard drive every so often. That should prevent it from going to sleep.

Is the SMART setting "check interval" the same thing? Also a friend proposed to periodically run a sudo -mount a (can i do that from the Anacron plugin on omv? I bugs me that it is unstable, I was off for a couple of days on a wooden cabin where I would just watch something on plex and the thing just crashed after I left :(

I used "dd full disk" too ( use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file) on my RPi to safeguard a planned upgrade but the window closed after some long time hence I don't know if it completed successfully.

Is there a way to see a log or check the compressed image file for completion?
    I've opened image file with 7-zip on Windows and that succeeded.
    Is that a good enough indicator for a good image?

Hi everybody, newbie here.

Excuse my ignorance, but if i need to restore my system (i use ddfull and it creates the .gz and also the other files - blkid, fdisk, grub, grubparts, and packages) and say I need to burn these into a new sd, am I supposed to burn only the gz file? all of them? in what order?

I keep a spare sd card for that purpose, my first attempt was not successful. any tips?

*UPDATE*

I have set the interval check in the SMART settings to check every 1800s (default) in "never" and it is stable now. As far as it concerns the spun up of the drive, I have one HDD (the other is SSD) and it does not seem to be uncomfortable with the check, I did not even hear the disk spinning. Never - Poll (check) the device regardless of its power mode. Never - Poll (check) the device regardless of its power mode. Never - Poll (check) the device regardless of its power mode.

Are you using a SATA drive dock? There appears to be a known issue with Orico docks disconnecting or going to sleep. I also saw a post suggesting there is a firmware update to address this (never pursued it, threw my Orico dock away.) You probably already stumbled across while searching the forum.

I am using a Logilink SATA drive dock. From what I ve searched so far it is more likely that is something related to the USB controller (as the logs indicate) so I am leaving the hardware related issues last.

Reading your explanation everything points in that direction. In general disabling all power options should work, although it will depend on the USB-SATA interface you are using on each drive, sometimes they create problems.

In the OMV GUI go to Storage>Disks> Select the drive (yellow color and press the Edit button. Choose Disabled in each field and press Save.

If this does not work on either unit, you will have to investigate the connection interface you are using in each case and if they are 100% compatible with Linux. You may have to plug that drive into a compatible system (usually Windows unfortunately) and disable some active sleep setting. Then connect the unit back to Linux. This all depends on the hardware you are using.

In the OMV GUI go to Storage>Disks> all the fields are disabled. After I checked the logs and researched a bit I understand there is a chance that this has to do with the USB3.0 ports or/and the power supply. So I am thinking

a) first I will try the disks on USB2.0 ports and leave them. What would help is if could somehow recreate the problem and not wait until it crashes by it self (there is a chance that it happens on specific hour?) any ideas how to recreate such thing, it all works fine after reboot

b) use a power hub and also leave it and see how it behaves

Finally I run all updates/upgrade and checked that the autosuspend is disabled:

cat /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/autosuspend

:)Thank you all for your time, i will let you know how it goes

Hi, this is the log I got last night

Oct 26 02:52:59 kernel: [64301.077936] xhci_hcd 0000:01:00.0: WARNING: Host System Error

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.169059] xhci_hcd 0000:01:00.0: xHCI host not responding to stop endpoint command

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.169092] xhci_hcd 0000:01:00.0: xHCI host controller not responding, assume dead

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.169167] xhci_hcd 0000:01:00.0: HC died; cleaning up

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.169233] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.171077] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 2

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.189114] sd 0:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery

Oct 26 02:53:04 kernel: [64306.189148] sd 0:0:0:0: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery

Hi to all. Beginner here and I have recently set up a NAS with a RasPi4 with OMV6 on an SD card and two external hard drives.

The Pi is powered by a 3amp adaptor

1 external ssd 2.5" is powered by the pi

1 external HHD has its own power supply.

Everything works fine when I work with the NAS or when I stream from plex. However I have noticed that when I leave the Pi on overnight, in the morning the 2 external hard drives are disconnected. Otherwise the Pi works. When I reboot everything works fine and the disks are back online.

I have searched a little bit and saw that it might be a power issue, however it does not seem to have a problem with that when working so why having one when idle?

Another direction is that the disks disconnect when idle after N amount of time. but I struggle finding this setting / parameter. also somewhere I read about USB autosuspend?can this be it?

Has anyone experienced something similar?