Beiträge von arschkrampe

I have set up various scheduled tasks in the Openmediavault Web GUI and receive email notifications about the execution of each task. I would like to have more describing subject lines for the generated emails to know what the mail is all about.

Currently, each subject simply contains: [server.domain] Cron

It would be helpful, for example, if the content of the "Command" field could be included in the subject, which would lead to the following result:

[server.domain] Cron /root/scripts/my-fancy-task

Is there a setting which allows customizing subjects in such a way?

To calculate the size of needed PSU you could have a look at this PSU calculator. The most critical time is when you power-on your OMV server and all the HDD spin up.

PSU needs:

- Random desktop grade mainboard

- Core i5-12600

- 4x 32 GB DDR4

- 8x 7.2k SATA HDD

Recommended PSU Wattage: 369 W

Amperage (combined)

+3.3V +5V +12V

8.1 A 20.5 A 19.9 A

130 W 239 W

Whether the i3-12100 will serve you well depends:

- will your OMV only be a NAS?

- will you use Docker containers - which?

- will you make use of VMs/LXCs?

While I did when I was first writing the plugin, I don't test anything with pure LXC. As far as I know, it won't cause any problems since libvirt/virsh won't "see" your pure LXC containers.

OK, that sounds promising. I don't need VMs/libvirt. Just need a few LXCs and tools provided by the lxc package.

I know that you can manage LXC containers via KVM plugin, but in its current state it lacks some essential features like creating snapshots of LXCs.

Since I feel comfortable within the CLI, I have no problem managing and maintaining containers via SSH. Are there any things against installing the LXC package via apt -y install lxc

On my backup server which powers on at specific time, I start a script @reboot that pulls ZFS snapshots of my main server via syncoid and then shuts down the server again.

Once a week I would also like to make a backup of the system disk (USB stick) before the server is shut down, which leads me to the actual question:

Can plugins like openmediavault-backup be triggered via script, or should trigger the shell script which it relies on (omv-backup)?

The usbbackup plugin offers a very convenient option for backing up shared folders. However, since the concept of shared folders does not quite fit in with my intended solution, I am looking for a way to execute a shell script as soon as a USB HDD with a specific serial number is connected to the system.

The plugin/script should mount the HDD connected via USB in a specific directory and execute an existing backup script in the next step.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to check whether the disk is connected or not in order to execute the backup script.

Is there a suitable plugin for this, or other solutions?

Hallo Schwarmintelligenz!

Auf meinem OMV 7 Server habe ich unter anderem das KVM Plugin installiert, um einige LXC Container zu hosten. Einige davon lasse ich mittel der Option Services > KVM > VMs: AutoStart beim Systemstart starten. Andere möchte ich gerne zu bestimmten Zeiten starten.

Gibt es für dieses Vorhaben einen Terminalbefehl, den ich mittels Cron ausführen kann? Proxmox bietet hierzu "pct start CTID" an.

Vielen Dank und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr.

English version of my question:

Hey swarm intelligence!

I have installed the KVM plugin on my OMV 7 server to host some LXC containers. Some of them I launch using the option Services > KVM > VMs: AutoStart at system startup. Others I would like to start at specific times.

Is there a terminal command for this that I can execute using cron? Proxmox offers "pct start CTID" for this purpose.

Many thanks and a happy new year.