Beiträge von lucid3ye

The guide doesn't have specific instructions for every board. So, what change did you make? What is the output of: sensors

tried to follow the guide step by step. but it was unable to ever execute cpu-temp to get the reading. unsure why. Was thinking maybe the directories on my install are different or something and it was a low priority for me so I didn't look further.

I can take another crack at it if you want.

Where are you looking at the temperature? If you are seeing the wrong temp in the cputemp widget, then that just means the default zone it reports from is not the correct zone. This thread explains how to customize it - Guide - Custom cpu temp script for openmediavault-cputemp plugin

followed instructions but I'm not getting the cpu-temp program to run for some reason. I'll mess around with it, for not I just pulled it off the dashboard.

If you did the scripted OMV install, after installing Debian, OMV-Extras is automatically installed by the script.

I have no doubt that performance is better.

Just curious, did you do a price comparison? An R-PI5, 8GB, with a case, a power supply and other bits and pieces can add up. No to mention that you doubled the R-PI5's max RAM and you got a good sized SSD in the bargain.

if you haven't played with mini-ITX yet - it really is a fun and configurable as a Pi - and surprisingly affordable.

If you did the scripted OMV install, after installing Debian, OMV-Extras is automatically installed by the script.

I have no doubt that performance is better.

Just curious, did you do a price comparison? An R-PI5, 8GB, with a case, a power supply and other bits and pieces can add up. No to mention that you doubled the R-PI5's max RAM and you got a good sized SSD in the bargain.

i did some research ahead of time and found a youtube video comparing a similar setup in price, electricity usage and performance of the Pi5 vs one of these little setups. For me the 2.5 gb ethernet and onboard nvme were the big deals.

as far as omv-extras installs - that's what I was trying to say. Followed process from that page and used their script.

Just a post to the group that i received my intel M100 puck - a BosGame MiniPC with 16GB, and 512SSD. Ripped out the 512SSD and put in a faster 2TB SSD (sufficient for my needs). Big deal for me on this puck was the onboard SSD and 2.5GB ethernet port - which my PI4 rig never approached having.

I'm not a linux guy so honestly it took me 2 or 3 builds to get the partitioning right, lol - but i left 128GB for OMV (7) to use and used the remaining 1.8TB partition for storage. I put my Compose, Data and DockerBackup folders on that partition along with a shared folder for time machine backups.

Composed Homebridge and Home Assistant into containers and fired them up. Restored my backups of each.

I followed the guide to set up OMV Extras for setup after a base install of Debian. Everything is working very well - and I'm getting more then 2x the throughput i had with my PI. If anyone is looking at PI5 - you should look at the M100 as well. For me, it's a better solution.

I'm going to order a Raspi 5 in the next few days - waiting on a good SSD hat or Argon40 to get stuff out. At that point I'll rebuild OMV. is there anything in particular that might be useful for me to look for or report back to the development team? Happy to pass anything up that might help.

not sure if this was your intent - but i was in fudging around anyway - so I ran the above process. may have made zero difference as my install was already working well - but I can report everything is STILL working after script(s) if that is helpful information.. It did state that it updated many modules. On first glance my CPU utilization and temperature are trending a little lower than what i have been observing previously. I also observed it adding ETH0 to the database - which I don't recall seeing previously. I'm assuming this is the fix. So. Fix is good!

What is your application - meaning what are you going to use OMV for? Most of my geek friends use TrueNAS - but i wanted something the size of a hockey puck - so I went the PI route. For 6 months or so I just ran homebridge / home assistant natively in the PIOS and set up time machine shares (my only other application of device) manually with Samba - I could do it but it was a pain in the ass.

So I started reading up on NAS options and came across many comparing OMV and TrueNAS - one thing that was clear, TrueNAS had higher system requirements and a heavier footprint than OMV. I hadn't used Docker before - I'm a MacOS and Windows expert - i just play in Linux. But i was so pleased on my first experience with OMV6 that I stopped looking. It makes so many manual tasks web driven, and has a nice platform of plugins and docker. Now i don't have to choose between home assistant and homebridge, i run them both and use the plugin i prefer on either platform. And my secondary goal of one small box to back up all the Macs is perfectly suited to the M.2 media i have attached.

You may now see why I ask your application. Mine is very basic in nature. I don't RAID. I don't back it up. I use it more as an appliance.

Wondering why you are questioning me? Here, during the setup process, my macOS device is perfectly happy to set up the omv-smb-share-timemachine target, but it does not offer the option to set the max size. Honest!

Hey Jack. I use time machine backups and though i have migrated an old backup volume thru several OMV installs (so I don't see the option to change size, it's not a new backup) i do remember getting the prompt with OMV6. (From MacOS Settings). I don't know if it makes any difference but i enforce SMB3 in my SMB/CIFS settings - MacOS prefers SMB3 and requires SMB2 - i think from my reading. attached is a screenshot of my settings if that helps - works here?

hope that helps!

if ya'll care to close the loop - after following the help on this thread - I've had no further issues. I have applied updates as they have come in and run a couple of containers for iOT stuff - no issues here.

lucid3ye - I know you know what you are doing but have you checked the name assigned to your ethernet in the GUI (network > Interfaces) vs looking at the diagnotic report (diagnostics > report).

I have found that there is a difference in the name (eth0 vs. end0) and this will cause issues when setting up services that rely on the network.

The fix is easy if this is the case and you need to do this before configuring anything else. Just delete incorrect interface from GUI. Don't apply changes. Add correct interface name. Save. Apply.

winner winner - chicken dinner. Issues resolved and thank you.

it actually sounds like we cut our teeth on the same equipment and same OSes, lol. Again sorry for being snarky.

Problem is resolved.. turned out to be the eth0 / end0 named in another comment. Everything is running swimmingly now.

lucid3ye - I know you know what you are doing but have you checked the name assigned to your ethernet in the GUI (network > Interfaces) vs looking at the diagnotic report (diagnostics > report).

I have found that there is a difference in the name (eth0 vs. end0) and this will cause issues when setting up services that rely on the network.

The fix is easy if this is the case and you need to do this before configuring anything else. Just delete incorrect interface from GUI. Don't apply changes. Add correct interface name. Save. Apply.

This sir is the problem. Many Thanks - going to attempt your fix. I noticed on dashboard end0 is grabbing and IP while when i look under network settings its using eth0 which doesn't exist. Couldn't get this to change - your process above i will try!

pleased to report that with time everything just seemed to start working as i stuck with it and configured. I'm not sure if there is some issue on my network - but i don't think that was the issue as the host would simply stop responding - all that being said. It seems like when you initially enable SMB/CIFS something happens that makes the hostname temporarily unresponsive. If you continue using the IP address - eventually the system resolves to the hostname again via all protocols.

also - while I'm an expert at networking and hardware - linux - i am no expert. I'm learning. So all of the help in the forum was appreciated. It forced me to try some different things i wasn't thinking through. For instance, when hostname stopped responding reverting to IP. That's a no-brainer I should have done, lol.

pleased to report that with time everything just seemed to start working as i stuck with it and configured. I'm not sure if there is some issue on my network - but i don't think that was the issue as the host would simply stop responding - all that being said. It seems like when you initially enable SMB/CIFS something happens that makes the hostname temporarily unresponsive. If you continue using the IP address - eventually the system resolves to the hostname again via all protocols.

to update this thread - i continued to configure using IP address. Once I had my Homebridge up - it seemed to push out the hostname for whatever reason, and magically hostname started working everywhere.

currently I'm backing up via Timemachine to shared folder - and homebridge is up and running with a plugin acting up that I don't blame on OMV7.

Thanks for the help. I hope that the information I provided was helpful to someone.