Beiträge von marmitesandwich

You can try omv-firstaid menu item 8: Check RRD Database

Great - I did this and it found 8 defective records (files?) so I am going to reboot and leave it for a while to settle down. I like to have this monitoring to help with tracking down/warning about issues. It's a bit circular though!

Thanks for all your help.

Marmite

Looks like something to do with rrd. I am finding lots and lots of journal entries like this:

Don't know much about rrd, but this doesn't look right.

You need to flush it more often or reduce the size for rotation.

Some reading on it:

OK, thanks, I am reading up about it. But I don't want to go changing some settings for regular cleanup if MOV already has these settings under its control, since it may well reset them back. I thought maybe OMV had a variable somewhere for this?

macom these logs seem to be mainly about the log space being full!

Zitat

-- Journal begins at Thu 2024-02-29 15:40:07 GMT, ends at Sun 2024-03-31 15:08:26 BST. --

Mar 31 15:08:15 raspiwesto rsyslogd[16254]: file '/var/log/syslog'[7] write error - see https://www.rsyslog.com/solving-rsyslog-write-errors/ for help OS error: No space left on device [v8.2102.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 ]

Mar 31 15:08:15 raspiwesto rsyslogd[16254]: action 'action-9-builtin:omfile' (module 'builtin:omfile') message lost, could not be processed. Check for additional error messages before this one. [v8.2102.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2027 ]

Mar 31 15:08:15 raspiwesto collectd[963]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/rrdcached/counter-journal-bytes.rrd, [1711894095.628392:120922572], 1) failed: rrdcached@unix:/run/rrdcached.sock: RRD Error: '/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/rrdcached/counter-journal-bytes.rrd' is not an RRD file (status=-1)

I just started getting this kind of error:-

/etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-cron-apt: cat: write error: No space left on device

Investigating with df -h, I find that /var/log/ is 100% used (460M). Looking in /var/log, I find 100 files mainly .gz, and 20 are over a year old, although small. Two files, syslog and daemon.log are 40M each and current. One sub directory, /var/log/journal, is 370M and contains 800 files, all less than 1 week old, with names like this "system@cf9a9b1b3ba64f8784ed8d0871e91499-0000000000000001-0006128712e34746.journal". Their contents are not human-readable. 48 of these are 5M or 8M in size.

I guess I can go through deleting files which are deemed to be non-essential, and increasing the size of /var/log/, but I would prefer to find why this is happening and whether there is some kind of configuration I should change to improve log rotation and clean up. I am conscious that OMV likes to maintain its own configs, so I don't want to just change things blindly.

Should I be looking for a problem with systemd that is creating these journal files, or is there some other way of changing log managaement within OMV?

Mystified Marmite.

I notice that when you choose processes from the diagnostics menu (in OMV6), you get what looks like the output from a top statement, directed to the webpage. This comes out in %CPU order - is it possible to modify the top statement so that it comes out in %MEM order? For me right now I am trying to monitor memory use rather than cpu use and this would be more useful.

Regards,

Marmite

I am now running OMV6 and unsure if this advice still applies. I am receiving these monit warnings via email and in thr syslog, (Description: space usage 92.7% matches resource limit [space usage > 85.0%]).

There is an entry in /etc/default/openmediavault like this:

OMV_MONIT_SERVICE_FILESYSTEM_SPACEUSAGE=95

How do I get OMV/monit to take this setting in OMV6?

All suggestions welcome.

Marmite