Beiträge von niceguy

thanks for these insights. I was thinking that SSD was a better option since my original mechanical hard drive had failed. I also thought SSD were far more durable than the Thumbdrives (I assume you mean USB Thumbdrives).

But if you say that using USB thumbdrives is a better option then I will look into it and go that route.

I read your provided link about cloning the thumbdrive. One additional question - do I need to periodically, keep cloning the OS thumbdrive? Basically, are there frequent changes that take place on the OS Thumbdrive that necessitates me to have a regular backup of that thumbdrive? TIA.

Unfortunately this does not work. If you go for a fresh install, you have to setup the configuration manually from scratch. You can use screenshots from the GUI and config.xml as reference to read in it.

I would clone the drive and hope that nothing important was on the sector.

I guess you don't have a backup of the OS, that might help.

This is a new just a week-old install for my old OMV3.x i.e., all data drives are from the old system.

Since I was burnt for not having a backup of the OS in the previous instance, I have been searching for proper way to create backup of the OS drive for last few days. But I haven't found any documentation or guides on how to create a OS backup.

Can you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch.

I had an SMART error and my dashboard status was like that on a SAMSUNG EVO840. I tested the drive outside of the machine and everything was fine. It could be an issue with that type of drive reporting as I figured that was the issue with mine. It lasted over a year in that configuration and now the drive is the system drive in another machine. If you can test it outside your current setup it will give you some peace that it is fine. If not then replacing the drive is the only option or use it until it fails. From my experience it did not do or mean much for performance and is still working today.

Having burnt by an OS drive failure I am leery of such warnings.

Two quick questions -
    1. If I need to test it outside of the system - would that mean having to reinstall the system when done with the testing?

2. If so then, how do I go about restoring the system? Is it as simple as keeping a copy of current /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and restoring that file after a new installation?

Also, If I decide to reinstall on a newer drive instead will #2 (copy and restore) through /etc/openmediavault/config.xml works fine?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Guys for prompt responses,

I am Attaching multiple screenshots - Not sure how to generate a single page report or file.

Again Thanks a bunch in advance for all your help.

UPDATED - Added more screenshots that might give better insights. Once again, thanks a bunch forall your help.

Hi,

I rebuilt my old system which had a bad OS drive. I replaced the OS drive with a SSD drive (salvaged from a laptop). Got OMV 6.x up and running - reconfigured to get all my data back online.

Given that I am using SSD, I also installed Flashmemory plugin and have been running it for a couple of days now.

System had been working great for me for a week now.

And then last night this happened (please see the screenshots).

What is "Device is being used outside design parameters"? Temperature looks ok to me. What other parameters are there - I don't remember having set any myself.

The system is otherwise running Ok - even a shutdown and restart got the system back up but the error still persists.

Is this something Disaster waiting to happen?

I have been burnt before dealing with the OS drive issue. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

I am in a similar boat as the OP. Looks like my OS drive has failed and I don't have a backup of the OS drive.

If I fresh install OMV 6 (older version that has crashed was 4.x) on a new SSD OS drive, will I loose the data on the data drives?

Please help me as I am in desperate need of the data on the data drives.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hello Gurus,

My NAS which was shutdown properly using menu option is no longer booting.

The hardware is HP Proliant Microserver with one boot drive and two data drives.

I connected monitor and get this screen (see attached photo).

I really need to get it up and running to access the data drives. Can you PLEASE PLEASE help and guide me how to recover?

Thanks a million in advance.

- Nicer

Volker should rename the ISOs to x32 or x64

At the minimum I recommend the #16 in the FAQ (OpenMediaVault FAQ) be updated as :

Which version of the OpenMediaVault ISO should I take, i386 or amd64?
    Unless you have a very old CPU, its pretty much recommended to use the amd64 ISO, even on an INTEL CPU!
    For 32 bit CPUs use i386 (even on AMD CPUs), For 64 bit CPUs use amd64 (even on Intel CPUs)

- NG

Wow !

@KM0201 - your way of managing data sounds like a good idea to me as well. In my home server and for most home users I think data doesn't change that dynamically anyways. So keeping one drive as primary and another as a secondary which gets rsync-ed every so often during the day should more than suffice. I think this may also have the advantage of keeping another drive spun down to keep power and noise down and may extend its life as well.

Thanks,

NG

Thanks Datadigger & KM0201.

@datadigger - thanks for your offer to send me some DDR SDRAM. I live in California, bay area. As KM0201 pointed out mine is a K7VTA3 board with following memory specs -

• Accommodates two unbuffered 2.5V 184-pin slots
    • Supports the following memory speeds: DDR333, DDR266, DDR200
    • Each slot supports up to 1 GB with a total maximum cpacity of 2 GB

Not sure if you have any of those type but before I trouble you let me first get my board up and running with the existing memory (2 X 512MB DDR400).

Thanks so much for all the help by everyone around here.

NG

Thanks KM0201 for your suggestion but these old DDR SDRAMs are now hard to find and more expensive.

I may upgrade the whole system down the road. It's my understanding that I should be able to upgrade a system and migrate the data drives without any loss of data. BTW, I will be having 2 X 2TB drives in the RAID1 configuration.

Thanks,

NG

Hello Gurus,

I am finally ready to repurpose my trusted old desktop to the OMV NAS server.

My config is AMD Sempron 2400+ CPU with 1GB DDR SDRAM. A quick search shows this was a 32 bit processor.

So my question is which .iso file shall I use - amd64 or .i386?

Thanks in advance and a happy new year to you all.

- NG

Thanks WastIJ.

Following your recommendation, I found this very inexpensive card at Monoprice which is PERFECT.

(http://www.monoprice.com/Produ…=&seq=1&format=4#feedback)

2 SATA ports AND 1 IDE port on same card for $10.xx - Looks like made for me :) Now I can connect the two DATA drives on the two SATA ports and my OMV OS IDE drive on the IDE port !!

It does not seem to come with Linux driver but looks like it uses VIA6421 chip. Any idea if OMV (Debian) supports a driver for this ?

Hello All,

Building a NAS and planning to use my working old PC. Here is the configuration -

ESC K7VTA3 motherboard.
    DDR SDRAM 1GB PC2700 (2 X 512 MB) memory
    2 built in IDE ports on motherboard
    5 PCI slots (note there are NO PCIe slots)
    4 USB 2.0 ports

I plan to connect TWO 2TB SATA drives for a RAID 1 configuration.

Obviously since the data drives will be SATA and my mobo doesn't have them built-in here are 3 options -

1. Use SATA to IDE convertors for the two data drives. In this case I will have one IDE drive containing OMV+OS and two SATA drives which I plan to connect as:
    IDE0 ---------- OS drive (master)-------[SATA drive connected using IDE-->SATA Convertor](Slave)
    IDE1 ----------[SATA drive connected using IDE-->SATA Convertor](Master)

2. Buy a PCI to 2 port SATA adapter, connect the SATA drives to this adapter. Connect IDE0 ---------- OS drive. Leave IDE1 unconnected

3. Use USB to SATA cables and connect the SATA drives to available USB ports. Use IDE port for OS drive and leave IDE1 unconnected as in option #2.
    The USBs are USB2.0 so not sure if this option has performance penalty ?

Q1. Which Drive configuration options below are better

Q2. Will OMV be configurable to create RAID 1 in software since the mobo does not support it natively ?

Thanks in advance,

Guy