Beiträge von kentish

I dont understand yet how icecast works...
    Can it play as an internet-radio or is it just only a server and has to get the music from mpd or so?
    Sorry if i my ask silly questions...

No worries, we all start somewhere

My understanding is that Icecast is a streaming server that you can use to push content out onto the internet along with listening to Radio streams via a relay - however I'm doing a bit of educated guessing here as I don't use the software

Icecast is a streaming media (audio/video) server which currently supports Ogg (Vorbis and Theora), Opus, WebM and MP3 streams.
    It can be used to create an Internet radio station or a privately running jukebox and many things in between. It is very versatile in that new formats can be added relatively easily and supports open standards for communication and interaction.

MPD is a music streamer that does the same thing but locally, for example I have MPD addon install and pointing at my music directory. This is then available on my two raspberry pi's using Rune Audio - http://www.runeaudio.com/ which I control via MPDroid on my android phone.

IMHO I think the questions you might want to ask is before diving into Icecast are

• What content do I want to access - music, photos and films etc
    • Where I am going to do this - home, work etc
    • What devices do I have available - XBox, Playstation, Smart TV, Kodi Box, Phone etc

Once you've answered those you can start choosing the most suitable software to install on your NAS. Plex and Emby work will as stream anywhere solution. Kodi and Samba share work nicely if you have a PC attached to your TV.

There are loads of solutions out there :P

OMV is designed to have a dedicate OS drive with additional data drives, it's not good practice to put data on the OS drive. It can be done though.

Going back to Icecast it looks like you need to mount a local drive. http://icecast.org/docs/icecas…g-file.html#mountsettings

After following suggestion from forum members, i've gone with a SNAP Raid set up. Multiple western digital drives with parity and then a mergefs on top to act a single share point.

out of curiousity, I've installed icecast2 from the repos - it's version 2.3.2 rather than 2.4.3 which is the latest

Code
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install icecast2

then enabled the daemon by editing this file

Code
    sudo nano /etc/default/icecast2

and changing enable to true

Code
    # Edit /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml and change at least the passwords.
    # Change this to true when done to enable the init.d script
    ENABLE=true

after that checked the port and Ip the server was listening to

Code
    sudo nano /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml

and edited this line

Code
    <listen-socket>
            <port>8000</port>
            <bind-address>YOUR-IP</bind-address> -->
            <!-- <shoutcast-mount>/stream</shoutcast-mount> -->
        </listen-socket>

then finally started the daemon with

Code
    sudo service icecast2 start

after that i accessed the webui via <YOUR-IP>:8000.. suggest looking at the docs after this as I know nothing about icecast- http://icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.2/

Hope this helps,

Me too, I have i3 mobo with 4 gig RAM and it handles everything I thrown at it. I don;t know about the n3700itx - sorry. like you I asked on this forum for advise.

I'm sure a more knowledge member will answer your transcoding question.

It saves power, but its performance may not good as the desktop.

@tinh_x7 is correct. Your laptop will run OMV and performance should be ok but your not really getting a NAS your getting a laptop running a NAS OS.

For example my home NAS runs 24/7 and has 1 drive for OMV and many data drives which I've added to over time, I have a RAID 5 at the moment but will be changing to Snap RAID shortly. You are going to be hard pressed you do that on a laptop, if you data drive dies your have to replace and the recover everything from a back up. If that doesn't matter then go for the laptop.

I will say, this is a great place to start and explore what you can do with OMV and then when you've worked that out. You can start being a data hoarder like the rest of us :D:D

Yeah done that. and created a smb share as well.

Think I'm all set. I have about 70 days uptime on the current server. So going to bring down and start a fresh.

Shame the omv 3 isn't ready and it would be nice to do that at the same time but hey it will be ready when it's ready don't want to be a beta on my machine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'd stick to good old ext4 for the filesystem format. I want to keep my drives as universally readable as possible.

Ah, yes that's a better idea

'onion fs' is though (union fs I presume)

whoops :whistling: yeah my mistake but i'm glad you knew what i meant. :)

took me a few seconds to work out which folder under /media/ was the the mergefs pool ?( process of elimination

and this is on my test box - going to be fun with 10 drives connected 8|

That's pretty straight forward. I've been testing the vm and it seems straight forward

This is fresh install on the new drives.

- install omv
    - istall omv-extra-plugins
    - Format new drives - is xfs a good choice here
    - install snap raid
    - install onion fs plug in
    - configure snap raid with one parity and 2 data / content
    - set up mergefs with all raid drives
    - create share on the merge pool

Sent from phone. So poor formatting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks @Nibb31, I think as I'm making a reasonable / significant change to the server I'm going to roll up an Virtual Box and test creating a SNAP Raid as it will be easier and quicker than doing it when the physical disks arrive.

Yeah like that :) and expect that I'd want another one when it's time to upgrade again :D

The bay doesn't arrive until the 4th October, so expect that I will have completed setting up the server by then! Last time it took about 45 minutes to get a working server from a fresh install. Got to love OMV - nice and easy........ plus powerful :thumbup: