Posts by donh

Seems browsers are getting more picky about certificates. If names don't match the self signed cert or date or whatever they wont let you go to the page. Try the ip address instead. Or setup letsencrypt.

If it is just for local access do you need https?

It is in the repo but does not get installed with apt dist-upgrade.

root@pve:~# apt-cache search pve-kernel |grep 5.11

pve-kernel-5.11.7-1-pve - The Proxmox PVE Kernel Image

pve-kernel-5.11 - Latest Proxmox VE Kernel Image

You can install it with apt install and works fine on my old Dell Proxmox server.

What type of ad are you using? Windows, samba or one of many others.

If it is windows try my link above. It has been a while since I used it but it worked on OMV 3 4 and 5. If not look threw it you might see something useful.

It is based on sssd that is a newer way to connect but some have trouble with other than windows. sssd has seen updates since and may work now. Who knows.

Well a clean install of 5.5.11 iso worked fine here. Changed a few things. Time zone, auto logout and password and they applied fine. Did updates and it went fine. Yellow apply updates took a few minutes but finished also. Changed a few other setting and all went well. You might try apt install -f to see if everything installed correctly. Here is my vm.conf.

I have used proxmox since version 3.x and have had OMV 2 threw 5 and most beta or rc without issues. They have all been on seabios though. Might try ovmf if I get some time later. Not sure why that would matter.

I would change your cpu type to host and advanced setting to match. Also change the network to virtio and look at advanced there too.

OMV5 web ui showed updates were available. Selected all and clicked install. This ended with error repeating for a long time.

Went to cli and did apt install -f.

root@omv5:~# apt install -f

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

1 not fully installed or removed.

After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

Setting up grub-pc (2.02+dfsg1-20+deb10u3) ...

Installing for i386-pc platform.

grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.

grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible.

grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for cross-disk install.

Installation finished. No error reported.

I think the grub update wants an interactive shell.

Anyway all is well and rebooting worked ok.

FYI

Both can be used in the way that works for you. For my money Proxmox is likely more stable than OMV. Not a knock to OMV by any means. Make a list of pro's and cons and do what works best for you.

Proxmox: Pro, Team (large ?) of developers. Con, commercial company and could change at their wim. See centos. Pro: lots of users in production around the world.

OMV: Pro, Free and open with community support. Con, One main developer with some help from community.

I have been using OMV since the early days and love it. Moving it to a vm on Proxmox was the best thing I did. Your mileage may very.

You will probably be OK. I looked at your profile and saw 4GB. Proxmox manages memory well. Watch the swap usage. Good luck.

What does free show?

Code
    root@omv5:~# free
    total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 8167276 181248 7420652 37712 565376 7652620
    Swap: 8386556 0 8386556

Letsencrypt provides a certificate to verify you are connecting too the correct server with no man in the middle. It wont keep anyone else out.

I have not used wireguard yet. But from reading about it, it looks like the way to go now for a few reasons. Performance being the main one. Also ease of setup. And newer than openvpn. Some routers support a vpn. So if yours does look at the one it supports and compare it to wireguard. Most will probably move to wireguard someday but for now you just need a port forward and a little knowledge and experience to make it work.